Most economical way to get a G4?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If this is the wrong forum for purchasing advice, then what's the right forum? I chose this one because "General Discussion" refers to pretty much anything, whereas the other forums don't seem to apply to my question.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>If this is the wrong forum for purchasing advice, then what's the right forum? I chose this one because "General Discussion" refers to pretty much anything, whereas the other forums don't seem to apply to my question.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A few weeks ago Jonathan said to put purchasing advice posts in Genius Bar. It's no big deal though.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>Wrong forum for purchasing advice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nice contribution to the thread jackass.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Exercise in Frivolity:

<strong>

Nice contribution to the thread jackass.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Irony is a funny thing, isn't it?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Hey, no hard feelings anyone. I just recently became a member, so I don't recall anything saying to post purchasing advice in the Genius Bar, but now I know. Thanks for moving the topic accordingly.

Also, thanks for everyone's suggestions to me. I'll keep those in mind when I go to purchase a new computer. If anyone would still like to respond to the topic to continue the actual discussion (no flaming/ranting/etc please) please feel free to do so.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Great topic! I've also been in a difficult debate over the three G4 733's. I'll just add that the first G4 had 4 velocity engines--do the others have that feature? I can't find any info on the other G4 733's.

The Graphite G4 just seems to be a better deal because when it came out it was the big dog. Apple threw everything in it. It is, by far, the better performer. Also, it's going for about $1400 with the SuperDrive, if you can find one.

My only arguments for a Quicksilvers are that the software bundle is a lot better, and it's newer.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Heres a question-how does the G4 quicksilver 733 compare to the G4 Quicksilver 800? They sound pretty close in mhz, but they have different graphics cards. Any thoughts as to which one is better?........................................... ....
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Here are all the specifications that are different between the two computers:

QS 733 has a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 32 MB, while the QS 800 has an ATI Radeon 7500 32 MB.

Obviously, the clock speed

And the QS 733 shipped with 128 MB RAM ::cough:: as opposed to the 800's 256 MB ::cough!::

Wow, RAM's been low in Macs as long as I can remember.The only Macs that have ever had enough factory installed RAM are the top of the line Pro desktops, right when they come out. Even then there isn't likely to be enough (is someone who's going to be using a dual GHz to its full potential going to settle for 512 MB?)
  • Reply 29 of 30
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    So, neither graphics card has an advantage over the other? I wonder why Apple changed the card in the first place?......................................
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Well after some research and such I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a new flat panel iMac/Combo or a used TiBook/Combo. Just from looking at typical used Power Mac prices, I see that they're a bit out of my price range once you add a $500 15" flat panel monitor. $1600 is about what I'm willing to spend, which is about the price of both the computers I mentioned. What I'm concerned about is that I heard that OS X.2 would require 32 MB of VRAM (or at least that's what's recommend), which older TiBooks only have 16 MB of. I suppose the only issue is portability... a portable computer would be great, but I find that I usually don't use my laptop outside of my room.

If I do get an iMac, I'd probably want to wait until just after a revision is introduced and then nab a used one for cheap. That said, how much could I sell my Wallstreet 233 rev. B for? I was thinking $500-$600?