Settings shortcuts disabled by Apple in iOS 5.1 beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.

They do believe in choice. You have the choice not to buy their products. You have choice not to upgrade to 5.1 beta. And lastly you also have the choice not to come here and troll.... Yet you still decide to.

Whats worst? Being controlled. Or signing up on website just bytch to a bunch strangers about something you could have easily prevented yourself?

While this appears to be a handy feature that some people are taking advantage of (and I can understand why they are dissapointed to have it removed). Common sense would say any third party solution that offers a backdoor 'tweak' to allow these unauthorized quick settings icons, could also allow other malicious things to happen to the OS. And thats the real reason why its being blocked. Same would go for being able to jailbreak the phone by simply visiting a website like Jailbreakme.com, its a security flaw that allows that access to the OS.

The reason why people choose Apple products is their great design, user experience, resale value and most importanty.. that they just work. Apple is the only company that controls exactly what happens on the hardware AND software side of things. The second Apple takes that wall garden guard down.. is the second where 3rd party apps are allowed access to the OS, you have a product that is no longer protected from malicious 3rd party software. I want a phone thats reliable, doesnt lockup or need reboots, and provides the same/better user experience I recieved out the box.. than I do a phone that I can tweak & experiment with. And thats why I bought an iPhone, instead of Android. Its also the same reason I went with a Mac.. over a PC.

Freedom.. is never exactly free.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.

You have the freedom to use Windows Phone 7, Android, or even WebOS. If Apple bothers you, why bother with them?
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Hahah

-android user
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Come on Apple. If you're going to be prissy about it, then at least add the functionality yourself.

If you're not going to do it, then don't ruin it for everyone else.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    I've got these settings shortcuts on my iPhone right now. They are ugly and not very useful since it takes so long to go from icon to browser to settings.

I wont miss them.

Now having the same settings in notification centre or on the "double tap" home screen, that I would like!
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Come on Apple. If you're going to be prissy about it, then at least add the functionality yourself.

If you're not going to do it, then don't ruin it for everyone else.

Jeeeesh,

My Samsung Blackjack running Windows mobile had a dedicated on/off for Bluetooth. Like 8 years ago!!!

Given the acknowledged battery issues with the 4S, you'd think "the worlds most advanced mobile operating system" would allow users to quickly turn on/off battery consuming resources like Bluetooth.

Come on Forestall, get with it dude.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I usually tend to take Apple's side on things because they obviously have proven they know what they're doing, but I don't get this. I understand it's a relatively minor thing, but the shortcuts posed no security threats and didn't take over the device. What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?

All settings need to be via the Settings function to keep a consistent User Experience.

Ever notice that you need to go to Settings to change, y'know, the settings? If you could change settings without leaving the App and going to Settings, it would not be as consistent. All settings need to be accessed through Settings.

That is the reason.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

These three features along with tethering is what prompted me to jaibreak my iPhone

Jailbreakers do it so they can steal Apps. No excuse can justify it.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iOSvictim View Post

Just enhance the settings-app/-icon to optionally behave like a folder as with the newsstand-app. This could be done by integrating an new group of controls like "direct settings" within the settings app. A main switch would then enable "direct settings" i.e. the folder behavior - probably default would be "off". With additional switches, users could enable the direct settings which suit there needs, like wifi, airplane, bluetooth and whatever. Give the whole thing a nicely done background whenever the "settings-folder" opens, have some original Apple icons which indicate the current status and you are done. Should not take that much, right? The only thing which might need to be sacrificed is the ability to put the settings-app into a folder as it is today. But that's already the case with the newsstand app as well and I thing not many people would mind putting such an enhanced settings app in their dock.

That is way too complicated for many, many iOS users.

Every feature and function of an iDevice needs to be so easy that even a cave man could do it. Grandma. Toddlers. Illiterate tribesmen.

You might be happier with Android.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In this specific case ... who knows as this is not a final release but the reason Apple 'tells people what they can and cannot do' is a GOOD thing for the majority of people. Including every option under the sun is not generally helpful. And there is freedom of choice, use another OS.

These people who think that their phone should work the way THEY want it to work (instead of the way Apple KNOWS it MUST work) crack me up.

The whole point of Apple is to leave these sorts of decisions to Apple.

Apple will never give options you on basic things. They determine what is best for the customer, and the customer either does things the Apple way, or they can choose to no longer be a customer.

That is why the Apple UI is so consistent. No matter which iPhone you pick up, it will work just like every other iPhone.

What people don't realize is that the genius of Apple is knowing which "features" to leave out. And this "feature" has no place on Apple's phones. If someone doesn't like it, they can simply hit the road. Nobody is forcing them at gunpoint to buy Apple products.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

"If all Deets are Beets and all Beets are Meets, are all Deets Meets?"
  • Reply 32 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

These people who think that their phone should work the way THEY want it to work (instead of the way Apple KNOWS it MUST work) crack me up.

The whole point of Apple is to leave these sorts of decisions to Apple.

etc...

Silly of me to reply, really, cuz you I know you are being facetious for effect. But to some extent (without the negative spin), yeah, just like just about any other product you buy. Apple doesn't 'KNOW it MUST' work one way or the other. But Apple does make design decisions.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Were the settings shortcuts exploiting a hole in iOS?
  • Reply 34 of 46
    If I had to guess there was probably a security concern related to potentially misleading instruction or apps, or potentially related to the links being JavaScript based. Still, it does seem odd that they disabled this feature. We'll see how it plays out by final release. It wouldn't be the first time people have jumped the gun in worrying about something like this.

Quote:

Pretty shallow statement there, bud.

Not all jailbreakers pirate just because they can, just as not all Mac users pirate just because they can.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

If I had to guess there was probably a security concern related to potentially misleading instruction or apps, or potentially related to the links being JavaScript based. Still, it does seem odd that they disabled this feature. We'll see how it plays out by final release. It wouldn't be the first time people have jumped the gun in worrying about something like this.

Pretty shallow statement there, bud.

Not all jailbreakers pirate just because they can, just as not all Mac users pirate just because they can.

he switches up his satirical focus but all in all he mocks the attitudes of the more die-hard of Apple fans towards anything-not-Apple users.

He's being facetious.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. All Deets would then be Meets.

If all iPhones are made by Apple, and all Apple products are high quality, are all iPhones high quality?

Yes.

Why do you ask?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

Why do you ask?

Because not all jailbreakers are pirates. Just as not all OS X users are pirates.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

I have never stolen one app - I don't know how to do it, and I don't want to spend my time on this stupidity. Most apps cost a buck or two, so even if I was a thief, I wouldn't bother. But I'm not a thief. On the contrary, I probably spent about $100 on jailbroken apps between my two iPhones 3GS. So, you should know that when you get an urge to steal something, it's not the vibe you are getting from those around you. It originates from within you.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

All settings need to be via the Settings function to keep a consistent User Experience.

Ever notice that you need to go to Settings to change, y'know, the settings? If you could change settings without leaving the App and going to Settings, it would not be as consistent. All settings need to be accessed through Settings.

That is the reason.

Understood. What these shortcuts do (did) was put a series of launchers on the springboard, that when tapped, would go into the proper page in the Settings app. You are (were) still going into Settings to change things, you're just not digging through 3/4 different menus to get to the one setting you need (Bluetooth, for instance).
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, logically, all Deets would be Meets. Although I do agree with your point. All people who steal apps do indeed jailbreak, but not all jailbreakers steal apps.