iTunes Music Store reportedly ready for Latin America debut

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly set to add music to iTunes across Latin America, with a rumored Dec. 8 launch date expected to expand available content past apps and eBooks.

After initially reporting that iTunes Music Store would be launching in Brazil on Dec. 8, Vega magazine updated its story on Wednesday, saying that the rollout now includes all of Latin America, according to The Next Web.

There has been no official announcement from Apple regarding the purported launch, however rumblings pointing to an imminent iTunes release in the region have recently grown louder.

Details surrounding the debut give anecdotal backing to the rumors, the latest being that songs by the "King of Latin Music," Roberto Carlos, will be available on launch. Carlos is immensely popular in Latin America, and because he has yet to release any albums in the digital format, Apple has a powerful tool in marketing the iTunes Music Store to the Latin public.

The Brazilian magazine notes that besides Mexico's version of iTunes, music has not been available through the region's online storefront, with users only being able to download apps, eBooks and podcasts for their iOS devices.

The launch comes with stipulations, however, as Brazilian customers will initially be forced to pay in dollars with internationally-backed credit cards. Veja thinks that this will be temporary, and sees Apple being able to charge users in their local currency within six months.

Currently, Apple's iTunes website for Brazil advertises the online store as merely a music management application, with the only mention of available purchases being apps and eBooks.

Rounding out the Latin American rumors, Apple is supposedly looking to open a regional office in either Sao Paulo, Brazil or Chile. There has been no official word that the Cupertino, Calif. company is even considering an office in the region, but local sources have reported "proof" that Apple will indeed break ground in at least one of the two countries.

Apple's Brazil iTunes webpage touts only music management | Source: Apple Brazil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I hope folks stocked up a bit last week.

Watch hardware sales take off in emerging markets where such ancillary content is being made available.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Not only Brazil, all South America stores are only to buy apps and hear podcast, you can´t, buy books, watch movies or listen music, that´s loss a lot of value on any apple computer or iOS device on this region, Apple hurry up with that deals!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I had no idea the iTunes Store didn't sell music anywhere south of Mexico. WTF? The store's been around over eight years now and is a proven success, so seriously, what's the holdup been?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otayranchdweeb View Post

I had no idea the iTunes Store didn't sell music anywhere south of Mexico. WTF? The store's been around over eight years now and is a proven success, so seriously, what's the holdup been?

That is random because itunes already has so much latin music. I usually buy my parents latin music on amazon tho because itunes doesn't have many of their favorite musicians. Hopefully that changes and I get them on itunes match