HP CEO: Apple likely to take away PC leadership position next year

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:

    a tablet is not a pc- .... typing is a chore comparibly without adding an external keyboard.



    Until iPad 3 is released with Siri.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennyL View Post


    Until iPad 3 is released with Siri.



    Exactly. If iPad 3 does have Siri, it will be pandemonium to get an iPad device. And I'll be right there to get mine!
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennyL View Post


    Until iPad 3 is released with Siri.



    Awkward moments dictating your romance novel in the local Starbucks. Lol.



    (Not you specifically)
  • Reply 24 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    It doesn't really matter how those ignorant baboons classify iPads. The fact of the matter is that fewer and fewer people are buying PC's. I wonder why?



    Because you're wrong.



    The PC market is still growing:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7871EB20110908



    The RATE of growth has certainly slowed down, but it's still growing - which means that your statement (that fewer people are buying PCs) is wrong.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,762member
    Quote:

    Apple could go past HP in 2012. We will try to become the champion in 2013. It takes time for the products on which I have come to influence the market."



    Did anyone else think she sounded a bit...full of herself here?
  • Reply 26 of 58
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I can defiantly see Apple becoming the major PC manufacturer in the US. In the world? I am not sure of that.



    iPad being a competitor to the PC? I do see the iPad becoming a competitor to the PC but not in 2012. Maybe in 2013. I can see the iPad doing things that Laptops can do some day. Thats when Laptops will start to become obsolete.



    In some ways Apple is in a major growth and development stage. I honestly think that the best is yet to come.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,490member
    Microsoft's Mundie should take lessons from Whitman in how to speak honestly.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Let me guess, her solution is to use a bloated, super expensive, Microsoft Windows OS on a tablet? Where have we seen this story before....
  • Reply 29 of 58
    HP needs to streamline its product lines like Apple did over 10 years ago. There are way too many models of PC's , Servers, Printers, and scanners.



    HP should keep WebOS and make it the OS for all its printers, scanners, and monitors.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    Meg is right- a tablet is not a pc- it cant run the programs a Pc can and typing is a chore comparibly without adding an external keyboard. I agree that it is mainly used for email and web consumption.



    A tablet is a computer but not a PC, I guess. In the same way a Mac is not a PC. But really, all three are PC's. Using a PC without adding a keyboard is also a chore, in fact it is impossible. Unless it is a laptop, of course.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    Meg is right- a tablet is not a pc- it cant run the programs a Pc can and typing is a chore comparibly without adding an external keyboard. I agree that it is mainly used for email and web consumption.



    But where meg is wrong is by saying it won't infringe on of sales. How about people that only consume email and surf the web. There are tens of thousands of those people.



    I would say those surf web/email people are in the millions if not 10s of millions.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Because you're wrong.



    The PC market is still growing:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7871EB20110908



    The RATE of growth has certainly slowed down, but it's still growing - which means that your statement (that fewer people are buying PCs) is wrong.



    You're usually dead on with most of your posts but in this post you're contradicting yourself. If the rate of growth has slowed down...that still means fewer people are buying PCs, right? One has a direct correlation with the other, no?





    EDIT: Sorry, I read it wrong. You were saying the same as I was.



    EDIT #2: Or are you not? Man, my brain is shot today......
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


    You're usually dead on with most of your posts but in this post you're contradicting yourself. If the rate of growth has slowed down...that still means fewer people are buying PCs, right? One has a direct correlation with the other, no?





    EDIT: Sorry, I read it wrong. You were saying the same as I was.



    EDIT #2: Or are you not? Man, my brain is shot today......



    NO. The rate of growth is slowing down, but it's still growing. Each year, more PCs are sold than the year before, so fewer people are NOT buying PCs.



    Using Reuter's data, 3.8% more PCs will be sold this year than last year.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,691member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Because you're wrong.



    The PC market is still growing:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7871EB20110908



    The RATE of growth has certainly slowed down, but it's still growing - which means that your statement (that fewer people are buying PCs) is wrong.



    Globally, you're correct. Even though PC sales have dramatically declined, the growth rate was down to 3.8%, according to your link, so there still is a slight growth.



    The iPad is certainly affecting PC sales in western countries. The global market includes third world countries and places where manufacturers dump their cheap netbooks. That's probably the only reason why PC sales still showed a 3.8% growth rate globally. In Europe and America, PC sales are shrinking.



    Overall sale in Europe and America shrink as worldwide growth comes close to stalling - but analysts differ on whether tablets are to blame



    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ales-quarterly





    Dell's PC sales fall 8%



    http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/17/tech...ings/index.htm



    Gartner, the firm used in your link even admits that the decline in PC sales is due in part to the iPad.



    Beyond belt tightening, Gartner notes that the slowed PC growth is due in part to strong sales of Apple’s iPad line and other tablets.



    http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/09/pc-sal...other-tablets/



    In the USA (the most important place in the world), PC sales only grew with 1.1%. Soon, we'll be seeing negative growth. In the EMEA region, sales were actually down 2.9%.



    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...-now-2-vendor/



    Apple's sales are growing at a far larger percentage rate than anybody else.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    NO. The rate of growth is slowing down, but it's still growing. Each year, more PCs are sold than the year before, so fewer people are NOT buying PCs.



    Using Reuter's data, 3.8% more PCs will be sold this year than last year.



    So that means fewer people than originally forecasted are buying PCs. So he really was correct with what he was saying....



    There is still growth in the PC industry but less folks are buying than last year or what was forecasted for this year which means exactly that; fewer people are buying.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


    So that means fewer people than originally forecasted are buying PCs. So he really was correct with what he was saying....



    There is still growth in the PC industry but less folks are buying than last year or what was forecasted for this year which means exactly that; fewer people are buying.



    No - it really does mean that 3.8% more will be sold this year if the forecast is accurate. The rate at which they are being sold is still increasing. But less fast than before - the second derivative of sales w.r.t time is decreasing.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    The rate at which they are being sold is still increasing. But less fast than before - the second derivative of sales w.r.t time is decreasing.



    Hmmm.......I think you mean to say that the first derivative is positive (i.e., rate of growth is still greater than zero), but the second derivative is negative (i.e., the rate of growth of the rate of growth is negative), no?



    What does it mean to say that the "second derivative.... is decreasing"?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Hmmm.......I think you mean to say that the first derivative is positive (i.e., rate of growth is still greater than zero), but the second derivative is negative (i.e., the rate of growth of the rate of growth is negative), no?



    What does it mean to say that the "second derivative.... is decreasing"?



    Absolutely correct. I wrote that in way too much of a hurry. First derivative is positive, second derivative is negative. Thanks. Second derivative decreasing would mean that third derivative is negative - not what I meant at all.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    Absolutely correct. I wrote that in way too much of a hurry. First derivative is positive, second derivative is negative. Thanks. Second derivative decreasing would mean that third derivative is negative - not what I meant at all.



    Third derivatives are way too much for me.....
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    My comprehension must be slow today, but what does she mean by the "important area in which we want to go"!? Tablets? (Didn't they just get rid of it? Is HP planning to re-enter?) Or PCs? (They still have it, i.e., no 'going' required?).



    The area in which she is talking about is the area in which money is made, wherever that may be. Apple is there, a lot of other companies (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) are not. Since Apple makes a ton of money from the iPad, obviously that must be it. But wait, every other tablet except the iPad (including the Kindle Fire) doesn't make any money, let alone sell hardly at all. And since traditional computer that aren't called Macs don't make any money, they're really stuck between a rock and a hard place.



    Really, Apple's long-term strategy that was laid out over 10 years ago when Steve came back is really starting to hit 5th gear right about now. Of all of his accomplishments, making Apple a powerful and lasting juggernaut not only in the tech industry, but just in general, is unquestionably his greatest.
Sign In or Register to comment.