Apple executives say iPhone 3GS, Kindle Fire will expand interest in iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Lol at "defeat".

It's obviously true that small minds are easily amused - Laugh it up there 'small minded' one.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So the apps Amazon prominently displays are the apps that are both subscription-based and available on iOS. You are just as awesome at making a point as you are not posting overly large pictures for no good reason.

LOL I was thinking this too. All the apps are free. What's so hard about moving them to iOS?
  • Reply 23 of 41
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

LOL I was thinking this too. All the apps are free. What's so hard about moving them to iOS?

FACT: Apps 'purchased' for Android devices DO NOT run on iOS devices, and some Android apps are not even available for iOS.

Note: Not all Android apps are free, regardless of what you've told to the contrary.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: Apps 'purchased' for Android devices DO NOT run on iOS devices, and some Android apps are not even available for iOS.

Note: Not all Android apps are free, regardless of what you've told to the contrary.

Your quote from Kindle Fire marketing:

"thousands of popular apps and games, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and more"

How many of those apps, that Amazon specifically uses to sell the Fire are not free?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Your quote from Kindle Fire marketing:

"thousands of popular apps and games, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and more"

How many of those apps, that Amazon specifically uses to sell the Fire are not free?

http://www.freewebs.com/korngirl17/Owned-Connect4.jpg
  • Reply 26 of 41
    The huge amount of publicity about the iPad and other tablets (Fire, Tab, Playbook, etc.) tends to validate the idea that a tablet has become a mainstream device. Users who previously thought they don't need a tablet (because they already have a laptop and a smart phone) may pause to reconsider.

The low price of the Fire may tempt them to have a look at tablets. When they check it out and read the reviews, a lot of them are going to see that the iPad is the market leader for many good reasons.

So the Fire might "kindle" their interest but the iPad may get their business after they do their homework.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    As of this post, there are 3,689 customer reviews on Amazon about the product and 492 of said reviews are rated 1 star out of a possible 5 stars, respectively. That is over 13% of people who tried the Fire and gave it the worse rating. If one assumes the people who rated it 1 star returned the Fire, than it's an easy assumption to extrapolate about 13% of the 3.9 million Fires that were shipped were also returned.

So yes, there are a lot of potential customers who might want to try the Apple experience. Just as a side note, in contrast to the 13% disapproval rating for the Fire, 96% of customers were satisfied with the 4S, respectively.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I don't think kindle users invest in a noticeable portion of premium Android apps or Any Android apps at all.

And I thought that popular apps (like Angry Birds) that were "free" but embedded with advertising were an advantage for Android.

Hmm, the free with advertising kinda removes the "stickiness" argument now, doesn't it?

Again, despite the "overwhelming" marketshare advantage (just ask any Android user in the marketshare oriented threads) iOS still brings in the lions share of app profits. Funny, that...
  • Reply 29 of 41
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Apparently I'm the only one here who has had DaHarder on ignore for years. Why must you all respond to him?

---

Apple is absolutely right. People that buy the Fire will do so because they're not sure they really want a tablet, and aren't going to spend over $500 to get their first one. Once they realize that tablets are great....just not the one they own....they'll move on to something better. That something is called an iPad.

And the 3GS is a great device to keep around as its a phenomenal smartphone, and gets people into the iPhone game for the lowest price possible. So many people who would otherwise not spend $200 on any mobile phone, are getting the 3GS, finding out they can't live without it, and will eventually upgrade to another Apple iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chungst View Post

As of this post, there are 3,689 customer reviews on Amazon about the product and 492 of said reviews are rated 1 star out of a possible 5 stars, respectively. That is over 13% of people who tried the Fire and gave it the worse rating. If one assumes the people who rated it 1 star returned the Fire, than it's an easy assumption to extrapolate about 13% of the 3.9 million Fires that were shipped were also returned.

So yes, there are a lot of potential customers who might want to try the Apple experience. Just as a side note, in contrast to the 13% disapproval rating for the Fire, 96% of customers were satisfied with the 4S, respectively.

Which means the Kindle Fire has a 87/B+ rating. Not bad. I still might get the Nook Tablet. Seems better.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

Which means the Kindle Fire has a 87/B+ rating. Not bad. I still might get the Nook Tablet. Seems better.

Go play with them. In person. Make sure the way they feel - the movement between apps, the look of the apps, etc. are pleasant for you. Pick the one you like the feel of the most.

Same thing I tell people who ask me if they should pick Nikon or Canon. Even though I have Canon gear, it's mainly because I like the feel of it - the ergonomics, the menu layouts - just make more sense to me. But we all aren't the same. And now Sony and Olympus are making compelling systems too, so things change over time as well.

Blindly shopping by specs or reviews can help you narrow your choices down, but you really should go experience the devices before selecting one.

And even though $200 is less than $500, I don't know about you but it's still a substantial chunk of change
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Go play with them. In person. Make sure the way they feel - the movement between apps, the look of the apps, etc. are pleasant for you. Pick the one you like the feel of the most.

Same thing I tell people who ask me if they should pick Nikon or Canon. Even though I have Canon gear, it's mainly because I like the feel of it - the ergonomics, the menu layouts - just make more sense to me. But we all aren't the same. And now Sony and Olympus are making compelling systems too, so things change over time as well.

Blindly shopping by specs or reviews can help you narrow your choices down, but you really should go experience the devices before selecting one.

And even though $200 is less than $500, I don't know about you but it's still a substantial chunk of change

Lol, true!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Not true. There were a significant numer of 2 star ratings as well, and a bunch of 3's. Most of the 4 and 5 ratings were very terse with their descriptions, leading me to wonder whether these were just rapid entries made by Amazon employees. I don't know what you would consider a B+ rating when mapping from a scale of 1-5, but the most logical arrangement is..

5=A,

4=B,

3=C,

2=D, and

1=F.

(If the scale went from 0 to 4, we could use the traditional GPA mapping, but the scale is one-based, so this is the natural result.)

So it would seem that the Kindle Fire is struggling mightily to even average a "C". So you might want to reconsider your evaluation based on this data and line of reasoning.

Thompson
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Not true. There were a significant numer of 2 star ratings as well, and a bunch of 3's. Most of the 4 and 5 ratings were very terse with their descriptions, leading me to wonder whether these were just rapid entries made by Amazon employees. I don't know what you would consider a B+ rating when mapping from a scale of 1-5, but the most logical arrangement is..

5=A,

4=B,

3=C,

2=D, and

1=F.

(If the scale went from 0 to 4, we could use the traditional GPA mapping, but the scale is one-based, so this is the natural result.)

So it would seem that the Kindle Fire is struggling mightily to even average a "C". So you might want to reconsider your evaluation based on this data and line of reasoning.

Thompson

Wasn't people prasing that 96% of iPhone users are satsified when there's more components to it that we've been led to belive? 87% Satisfied. There.

I guess we're gonna get back to definitons agian.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Wasn't people prasing that 96% of iPhone users are satsified when there's more components to it that we've been led to belive? 87% Satisfied. There.

image: http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...tisfaction.gif

I guess we're gonna get back to definitons agian.

Your reading comprehensions lessons are over for now. BTW, you failed.

Now we're onto basic arithmetic: 77 + 19 = ???
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Your reading comprehensions lessons are over for now. BTW, you failed.

Now we're onto basic arithmetic: 77 + 19 = ???

77+19 is 96%.

But 'somewhat satisfied' is much too vague. It seems that you aren't comprehending context.

Very satisfied would be a 5 star review on Amazon.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kindle Fire not pressuring iPad, "

Going by these awful reviews of the Amazon Fire by dissatisfied customers there is some truth to the saying "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Am...rBy=addOneStar

I dread to think how much these returns and countless hours of customer support is costing Amazon - just adding to their costs.

Bear in mind that Amazon is selling these devices at a loss. hoping to make it up with sales of their media content.

But with razor thin margins of around 2% on content, they have to sell $50 of content to break even on every dollar lost on subsidising Fire.

Quite apart from the admin and other overhead costs of shipping out a loss making product, how much does it cost for a couple of hours support on each Fire to try and sort out the numerous deficiencies?

Even if it just $25 per hour of support x 2 hours = $50 per unit, that makes it necessary for Amazon to sell $2,500 worth of content just to cover support costs in addition to cover the losses to subsidise the Fire in the fist place!
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Going by these awful reviews of the Amazon Fire by dissatisfied customers there is some truth to the saying "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

I dread to think how much these returns and countless hours of customer support is costing Amazon - just adding to their costs.

Bear in mind that Amazon is selling these devices at a loss. hoping to make it up with sales of their media content.

But with razor thin margins of around 2% on content, they have to sell $50 of content to break even on every dollar lost on subsidising Fire.

Quite apart from the admin and other overhead costs of shipping out a loss making product, how much does it cost for a couple of hours support on each Fire to try and sort out the numerous deficiencies?

Even if it just $25 per hour of support x 2 hours = $50 per unit, that makes it necessary for Amazon to sell $2,500 worth of content just to cover support costs in addition to cover the losses to subsidise the Fire in the fist place!

1) Can we trust the rating system on Amazon? I know you can't trust them on the App Store. I assume anything high-profile is going to targeted more negatively than it would have had it not been made popular.

2) While the margins are indeed thin and I do think they are selling at a loss we have to consider two things: A) The $50 loss per device might not be accurate, and B) how much that loss per unit could have changed if the Kindle Fire is selling significantly better allowing for economics of scale to reduce the loss, perhaps even allowing the device to become a profit center for Amazon within a year at the current rate of adoption.

3) I'm just trying not to rule anything out as nothing is certain at this time. We'll know more after the holidays, especially after we see Apple's next tablet offering. If within a year Amazon increases better Kindle Fire OS platform by A) using a significant interest in updating the SW, and 2) announcing a larger Fire tablet then I think we can say the Fire is a success from Amazon's PoV to warrant that kind of push.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

1) Can we trust the rating system on Amazon? I know you can't trust them on the App Store. I assume anything high-profile is going to targeted more negatively than it would have had it not been made popular.

Have you read the complaints in the reviews?

They appear pretty genuine to me.

Also bear in mind that you can only do a review if you have actually bought the product through Amazon.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and find the reviews useful as to whether to buy or not.

I have rarely seen so many bad reviews about any product

• Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Also bear in mind that you can only do a review if you have actually bought the product through Amazon.

Didn't know that. That does change things.