Leaked social media policies emphasize Apple's secrecy mantra

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acrobratt View Post

I'm just gonna come out and say it. Apple Retail was a GREAT job! Everyone there loved Apple products and the company treated us really well.

I agree that this expectation ? that employees not insult or criticize their employer ? is universal. If you work in a doctor's office, a law office or even a Starbuck's and you say embarrassing things about your employer, you WILL get fired. Google "Christopher Cristwell" and see for yourself.

I'm going to generalize wildly and point out that you never see people over the age of 30 getting fired for what they post online. It's always kids. Kids who think they're special. Kids who think they're funny. Kids who, quite frankly, don't think.

If you have a bad day at work, do what everyone else does? go to the gym, have a drink, get some rest and show up to work the next day on time in a clean shirt. It's called being an adult. Sheesh.

I don't think it's a "kids" thing. I think the younger generation(s) are just more likely to post their thoughts, emotions, etc. online. If you're publicly defaming your company, you shouldn't be surprised when you get fired. I think the trouble is that social networks blur that line between public and private. What employees think is a private comment visible to their friends can be leaked out or otherwise made public.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Principles such as these used to be referred to words like "professionalism," "responsibility," and "decency."

It's sad that for a corporation to actually embody any principle other than short-sighted greed has become remarkable, but tragic that so few understand that such principles are a large part of Apple's success.

Publicly criticizing one's employer is like publicly criticizing one's spouse: no matter how just the grievance, it always reflects badly on the aggrieved. To say "I ended the relationship after doing my best to resolve our differences and failing" shows integrity - the rest is just whining.

Of course in a culture where being put upon is a mark of status, individuals inevitably vie to be the biggest victim with the largest audience. The result is Jerry Springer writ large across entire societies.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    What everybody else said about this being fairly standard in large corporations. Nothing to see here. Standard stuff. You wanna work for Large Very Public Corporation X that is avidly followed by admirers, bashers, and those with agendas, and investors? Go with the team message in public. Random insider trash on the Internet can materially hurt your company. Let the PR and media relations people be your handlers. That's their job and they know the pitfalls. Don't be stupid. Sure you have opinions but they're the ones freaking paying you. You don't like it? Get a different job or start your own business.