Inside iPhone 4S US mobile data: AT&T vs Sprint vs Verizon

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeeves Staub View Post


    Oh yeah, Jobs chose Verizon first...as self-servingly claimed by the CEO of Verizon (posthumously of course, after Steve could no longer put the record straight), and reported by the unreliable, anti-Apple Business Insider. Gotta be true if you believe it, right?



    That's not all the bunk you're full of either, is it. What about your totally erroneous claim that AT&T charges users $100 each and every month for its femtocell?



    The Verizon exec stated what I'm sure was what Apple told him when Jobs was still alive. There is no evidence from Apple or Jobs on this matter.



    There is plenty of circumstantial evidence showing that Apple's foray into new countries was by choosing the 2nd largest/most popular carrier before the iPhone had been established as a dominant force. This makes perfect sense because the most dominant carrier can dictate more terms than ones that are trying to look for an angle to increase their position in the market.



    From the article he linked to (posting here because he messed up the link) it also states "Fortune suggests Apple didn't want a phone that was CDMA, because it couldn't sell it around the world." I suppose he conveniently wanted to ignore that data point.



    I thinkiIt's most likely Apple told Verizon what they thought they wanted to hear while suggesting their vendor-focused terms, but had planned from the start to use a GSM-based carrier for the iPhone so they could maximize economics of scale by selling the device internationally, something they have great experience doing. Any negotiation with Verizon was just par for the course and likely used to compare offers, and possibly leak the information as to get AT&T to be more accepting of Apple's terms.
  • Reply 62 of 116
    Sorry to break up the argument.



    Unlocked iPhone. My Tmobile signal is strong throughout San Francisco. Albeit, it's 2G for data, but I save about $90/month for unlimited calls & data. 2G goes at about 1.0-1.5 MB/min...which I can live with..but some cannot. Siri works fine, phone is fine..email is great....it lags slightly with photos...but that's 2G.



    Over the course of 2 years, I'll save...er...$90/month x 24 - $450 (because I had to buy the phone outright from Apple) = $1700 in savings.



    Oh, and I'll have an unlocked GSM phone after 2 years...unlike AT&T's phone.



    For the money, I'll live with 2G (heck, I'm on WiFi 95% of the time anyway).
  • Reply 63 of 116
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obxwebdesigner View Post


    Verizon is better.



    You do know Apple went to Verizon when the iPhone was first introduced?



    When Verizon turned them down they went exclusively to AT&T. Years later now apple finding it needs to be more competitive in the phone market has branched to various providers.



    Anyway the point of all this is back when the iPhone first came out they went to Verizon first. You saying apple had it wrong? Why would Apple choose Verizon first? Could it be because of the service coverage?



    Apple picked Verizon first! You saying they got it wrong?



    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...denberg-iphone



    First bullet point.



    I for one am so glad Apple didn't go with Verizon due to their very poor geographic coverage.



    Signed the rest of the world.
  • Reply 64 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CafeFog View Post


    Sorry to break up the argument.



    Unlocked iPhone. My Tmobile signal is strong throughout San Francisco. Albeit, it's 2G for data, but I save about $90/month for unlimited calls & data. 2G goes at about 1.0-1.5 MB/min...which I can live with..but some cannot. Siri works fine, phone is fine..email is great....it lags slightly with photos...but that's 2G.



    Over the course of 2 years, I'll save...er...$90/month x 24 - $450 (because I had to buy the phone outright from Apple) = $1700 in savings.



    Oh, and I'll have an unlocked GSM phone after 2 years...unlike AT&T's phone.



    For the money, I'll live with 2G (heck, I'm on WiFi 95% of the time anyway).



    I'm sure the T-Mobile plan you are talking about comes in below the other three carriers but I think your numbers are way off. Why not post what you pay per month and how much you paid for your iPhone, instead of this odd savings you've accounted for. I say this because even with taxes I pay less than $90's per month.



    And why write some odd assumed speed per MINUTE. Just use the FCC or SpeedTest app and then post the results here as a screenshot.
  • Reply 65 of 116
    I feel my family is a good testing and reference point in regards to service providers. My wife's hospital is with AT&T using a BlackBerry. My phone is an IP4 with Verizon, one of laptop's have a Verizon 4G embedded card while my other one has a Verizon 3G card. My son has a Pantech Breakout which is 4G. I see the whole gamut when comparing VZW and ATT. Thank god I don't have to deal with Sprint!



    When my wife and I are moving around in the Atlanta area the biggest problem with ATT is of course reliability. I would say that I notice she drops almost 20 to 40% of the calls she is on. We will need to make a call and more times than not we have to use my phone because ATT is dead in most situations. When we travel by automotive we can tell a big difference when you get outside of a city into rear rural areas, even on the interstate in rural areas the ATT device simply is dead in regards to service.



    I will have had my IP4 for a year in Jan 12. I can honestly say that I wish the speeds were a little faster, but that is when I look at Speedtest. I can hit an app that needs data and it works very quickly. Wierd, maybe we don't need high numbers to make the device work well? Unless we are transferring or emailing large documents.



    My 3G laptop that I have setup in my work vehicle is so freakin stable on the VZW 3G. I can drive this entire city just about and I will always have full bars on my VZAM program. Even when traveling it's awseome.



    Now comes my 4G laptop with VZW. Yes, it is very fast compared to using my 3G devices. Here is my normal or average speed in the Atlanta area.



    http://speedtest.net/result/1599487514.png





    http://speedtest.net/result/1476083352.png



    It is simply mind blowing to work with such speed. I can't wait until all of the current 3G area to be 4G.



    With all this being said, speed is a non factor if you simply can't make a phone call or download a work document. In this day and time if you are not "Connected" you are losing money as a businessman.



    I will continue to use VZW as long as the coverage is still out there. Fow what I am paying VZW a month I sure hope it is there when I need it.



    I gotta throw this one out there as well. Do some of you guys really think the reason people use a PC is because they are cheaper? As much as I like Apple, the Mac OS still is limited when it comes to programs.
  • Reply 66 of 116
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obxwebdesignerisdumb View Post


    You're making a critical assumption....that these Fortune 1000 only use one carrier...which is not the case



    And didn't you know that Verizon and AT&T are only wireless voice and data providers? When is the iPhone coming to Boost so we can get a fair comparison? The Internet wants to know.
  • Reply 67 of 116
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,872member
    So, I see this thread was overrun by carrier shills.
  • Reply 68 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    So, I see this thread was overrun by carrier shills.



    The TITLE of the thread says this:



    Quote:

    AT&T vs Sprint vs Verizon



    You expected anything else?
  • Reply 69 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post


    I gotta throw this one out there as well. Do some of you guys really think the reason people use a PC is because they are cheaper? As much as I like Apple, the Mac OS still is limited when it comes to programs.



    What program types are you talking about?
  • Reply 70 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    What program types are you talking about?



    "Games".
  • Reply 71 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    "Games".



    Touché. Definitely correct but what percentage of the consumer market is still using WIndows so they can play games? I have to think the number is low.
  • Reply 72 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Touché. Definitely correct but what percentage of the consumer market is still using WIndows so they can play games? I have to think the number is low.



    Well, you know, Purble Place is a BIG draw for the OS?



    I, uh, I think that's what it's called. I stripped the games folder from my Boot Camp install LONG ago.
  • Reply 73 of 116
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obxwebdesigner View Post


    You do know Apple went to Verizon when the iPhone was first introduced?



    When Verizon turned them down they went exclusively to AT&T. Years later now apple finding it needs to be more competitive in the phone market has branched to various providers.



    Anyway the point of all this is back when the iPhone first came out they went to Verizon first. You saying apple had it wrong? Why would Apple choose Verizon first? Could it be because of the service coverage?



    Apple picked Verizon first! So are yah saying Apple or better yet Steve Jobs got it wrong?



    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...denberg-iphone



    First bullet point.



    Do you forget that the first iPhone does not support 3G?
  • Reply 74 of 116
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Touché. Definitely correct but what percentage of the consumer market is still using WIndows so they can play games? I have to think the number is low.



    Several business programs and software are windows only. Specifically ones that are designed for exclusive fields.



    We are handcuffed to windows at my office simply because there is no program that allows you to print excel, word, and PDFs to a "printer driver" that acts as a place holder/ organizer to create into a large PDF. Pdfpen, etc doesn't do it. And before you say "print excel to PDF then merge"- our staff does hundreds and hundreds every day- youre adding a very time consuming step that would waste hours of productivity.



    We aren't the only ones on that position either. Exclusive programs designed for systems are in the hundreds or thousands I'm sure.



    Btw- if acrobat didn't take that feature out for OSX, I could use that to do it. Unfortunately, that feature only works on their windows version.







    But I disagree with the original poster. I absolutely think people pick PCs because it's cheaper. Definately. A $299 15" Toshiba laptop or a $1049 13" MacBook pro. I know what I'd choose, but people buy cheap TVs, cars, etc for a reason. They're cheap (the product and the people )
  • Reply 75 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post


    Do you forget that the first iPhone does not support 3G?



    That's actually a moot point in this instance because 3GPP(GSM/UMTS) '3G' is newer and more power hungry than the 3GPP2(CDMA/CDMA2000) '3G' so if Apple had foolishly gone with Verizon first the iPhone would come out as '3G'. However, as noted CDMA2000 '3G' had data rates that are below the GSM '2G' EDGE speeds.
  • Reply 76 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    And before you say "print excel to PDF then merge"- we do hundreds and hundreds every day- youre adding a very time consuming step that would waste hours of productivity.



    Can't there be an AppleScript written to capture print commands and perform that action instead?
  • Reply 77 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    Several business programs and software are windows only. Specifically ones that are designed for exclusive fields.



    We are handcuffed to windows at my office simply because there is no program that allows you to print excel, word, and PDFs to a "printer driver" that acts as a place holder/ organizer to create into a large PDF. Pdfpen, etc doesn't do it. And before you say "print excel to PDF then merge"- we do hundreds and hundreds every day- youre adding a very time consuming step that would waste hours of productivity.



    We aren't the only ones on that position either. Exclusive programs designed for systems are in the hundreds or thousands I'm sure.



    Btw- if acrobat didn't take that feature out for OSX, I could use that to do it. Unfortunately, that feature only works on their windows version.



    And like TS said- games.



    Macs aren't ideal for the enterprise. Even with Mac notebooks getting to a point of being cheaper than Windows-based OEMs with up front, if you consider bulk sales/leases and that most machines are still desktops the numbers just don't favour Macs.



    The biggest obstacle for Apple ? which won't change ? is that when you go with Mac OS you also have to use Apple's HW. With Windows you can get OEMs to bid for your business. Until Apple addresses their OS licensing limitation I don't see how Apple will ever have a dominate share of the traditional 'PC' market.



    Now embedded devices like smartphones and tablets they do seem to have an advantage. We might even see Apple be the most prolific vendor in the enterprise for computers when you count smartphones, tables and traditional 'PCs.' But perhaps the 'PC' will eventually be seen as just another embedded device and all the effort put into creating iOS apps will filter over to the Mac.



    As for usage that sounds like a workaround, not an ideal setup for getting the job done.
  • Reply 78 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by metsgl View Post


    That requires paying for 2 service plans.



    I need a mobile hotspot for my laptop. I have unlimited Internet on my iPhone and didn't want to add the AT&T's mobile hotspot to it to lose the unlimited plan. Besides, the Verizon service is much faster.
  • Reply 79 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post


    I will have had my IP4 for a year in Jan 12. I can honestly say that I wish the speeds were a little faster, but that is when I look at Speedtest. I can hit an app that needs data and it works very quickly. Wierd, maybe we don't need high numbers to make the device work well? Unless we are transferring or emailing large documents.



    I have noticed that the latency times for the speed test app are lower on Verizon than AT&T where I am over 90% of the time. You might have the same situation. For typical use, this makes up for the lower speeds.
  • Reply 80 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neosum View Post


    7-9mbps? Really? on 4g? Before the whole "what's 4g and what's not" debate, 4g was classified to be 100mbps. 7-9mbps is more closer to HSPA+ (which is more like 3.5g but is also being called 4g now) and not true 4g speeds. Most people wouldn't care about what speeds they're getting, as long as it works and their web pages are loading rather quick enough.



    Verizon and Sprint's 3g speeds are a joke. They had to roll out 4g asap and use it as a marketing gimmick. Att on the other hand, has pretty good 3g speeds and are lagging with their 4g deployment. I'll jump on the 4g bandwagon when it's available in my area. Until then, Att's 3g works just fine.



    This was the fastest I've seen:







    Sure, sure, the 4G everyone advertises is really 3.5G... I know that. Forget about the labels. The speeds I get on the Verizon network on my MiFi is by far greater and faster than the one I get on my AT&T. I get ups of 7-9 mbps and down speed of around 5 mbps. The best I ever get with my AT&T is around 2 mbps download and 1.5 mbps upload and that's not in big cities. In SF, New York, Chicago: forget about it. The network dies. I haven't tried the Verizon in bigger cities yet, so I don't know.
Sign In or Register to comment.