Consumer Reports ranks Verizon best, AT&T worst among US carriers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A lot of this has to do with EXACTLY how the questions are worded. I used to take part in writing surveys for McCannErickson, many years ago. Writing surveys is difficult, even for experienced people. Sometimes, the wording forces an answer the person didn't intend.

For example:

Would you prefer to use our highly reliable product for this purpose, or another one which is buggy and unstable?

Yup. Although since CR has no skin in the came (don't need to make advertisers or promoters happy) they presumably can put together an unbiased, not misleading, set of questions. In fact, having seen one CR survey, I'd say it's almost to the point of being frustratingly in the opposite direction. The questions are so lacking in information that it's hard to have any opinion, much less be led to one by the question itself!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Here's my take on their US carriers review: Out to lunch.

I'm currently on AT&T. Am I completely happy? No. They all suck to some degree. But, AT&T has given me a pretty good deal since the 1st gen iPhone. Their data is the fastest, and pretty reliable. Their customer service is okay, helpful with service needs or technical issues, but not so helpful if you want a better deal or disagree about your plan's pricing.

Verizon does have broader coverage and more reliable voice, but their data is slower than AT&T (and I use far more data than voice these days) and when I was with them they couldn't once get the bill correct. Another thing I disliked greatly was their totalitarian control of everything (before the iPhone came around) - VCast? Utter crap.

Whole-heartedly agree on the "out to lunch" verdict!

And while not disputing your experience, just to show how much individual experience may vary... I dumped ATT not only because of their poor service, but because their service reps repeatedly told me outright lies. Not misleading or unhelpful responses. Straight out, bold-faced lies. And it cost me real time and real money to set things straight. I finally was able to get in touch with a rep who had been with ATT since before Cingular bought them, and he told me, no question that the other reps were lying to me.

As for locked-down Verizon phones...both phones I've had with Verizon since switching and before they got the iPhone had the ability to sync contacts with my Mac's Address Book application via Bluetooth. That was all I ever wanted it to do. So I've never seen the "totalitarian control" so many people talk about. I simply don't think the average user was ever affected much by that.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

I just wonder how much did VZ paid to CR to do this survey.

Can a system which cannot handle voice and data be better than one which can.

Nothing. CR is an independent, non-profit magazine. It doesn't sell advertising and doesn't allow another company to direclty reference the results of their studies. They aren't commissioned by companies to review their products, like so many other firms are. And they don't sell their results other than via their magazine or web site subscriptions to individual consumers. They don't even allow companies who's products they review to supply the product. So unlike when Apple provides journalists with demo machines that Apple can configure however they choose, CR goes out and buys off-the-shelf just like you and I would.

You can argue about how accurate, scientific, or competent their results are; but I don't think you can claim that the results are paid for.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by main1event View Post

Verizon might have the best coverage but they have the worst customer service.

Don't know how it is elsewhere, but I've had Verizon in NYC for over a decade, family plan, four phones, one data plan for a smartphone, and I would liken the experience of walking into any Verizon store in an attempt to solve a problem to holding out your hands and allowing someone to repeatedly jab hot rusty needles under your fingernails. It really is a parody of how insanely horrible the service side of a company could possibly be run.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Don't know how it is elsewhere, but I've had Verizon in NYC for over a decade, family plan, four phones, one data plan for a smartphone, and I would liken the experience of walking into any Verizon store in an attempt to solve a problem to holding out your hands and allowing someone to repeatedly jab hot rusty needles under your fingernails. It really is a parody of how insanely horrible the service side of a company could possibly be run.

Call it a silly question, but why would you stay with them for a decade if you've had such poor customer service? Is it only the retail stores that this happens in?

If I continually experienced what I considered less than satisfactory customer service, I'd probably be inclined to provide them with feedback from my wallet and take my business elsewhere. As opposed to trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Anyone claiming Verizon fared well in this survey just because they rated higher than AT&T obviously hasn't seen the survey. The only major cell provider that got ever an average for value as an example was Sprint. AT&T, Verizon and T-mobile were all rated worse or worst on value. It isn't at all related to the network or network performance. The top rated provider was a company called Consumer Cellular. Under prepaid the second highest rated provider was Straight Talk. Both sublease AT&T's network.

The point is that the major providers treat their customers like crap and AT&T simply treats their customers the crappiest of all.

In the same article the ratings for Canadian cell providers made U.S. ranking look good. The best ranking for value among every single provider was average. Almost every provider was worse or worst for value.

All my phones are on prepaid services. We have two iPhones and two kiddo cell phones and pay an average of $100 a month total. Do some work and stop being ripped off. Stop demanding unlimited everything and save a bundle.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Verizon Wireless has two classes of customer: business and consumer. My phone is linked to a corporate account though I pay it myself. When I need help, their system automatically recognizes my number as a business customer which routes me to a special set of folks who answer right away. They've always resolved every issue quickly and knowledgeably.

My son is on a consumer account. When his phone crapped out (twice) our local Verizon Wireless store arranged for a new one to be shipped right away. They took care of backing up contacts for him right on site. Don't know what else he could have asked for.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The point is that the major providers treat their customers like crap and AT&T simply treats their customers the crappiest of all.

In your experience. I've been with AT&T since the iPhone 3G came out and have had nothing but stellar (yes, that good) customer service. On a recent customer service call regarding some unusually high data usage on my wife's plan, they were very helpful and were able to assist me in figuring out the cause. While they had me on the phone, the CSR suggested that I lower my calling plan because our usage was so low. They even offered to let me keep my 14,000+ roll-over minutes. On hand, they could have just left me with my existing calling plan, but on the other, the chose instead to suggest a plan that was better suited to our current voice usage at the expense of them losing out on $20/mo.

Prior to AT&T, I had been with Verizon dating back to when it was still Bell Atlantic Mobile in the NY metro area. I can't say the same nice things about their customer service. Granted, BAM was technically a different company, but the time with Verizon was a pain in the ass when it came to their customer service. I'd finally had enough and switched to AT&T. But then that's the experience of one customer.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

In your experience. I've been with AT&T since the iPhone 3G came out and have had nothing but stellar (yes, that good) customer service. On a recent customer service call regarding some unusually high data usage on my wife's plan, they were very helpful and were able to assist me in figuring out the cause. While they had me on the phone, the CSR suggested that I lower my calling plan because our usage was so low. They even offered to let me keep my 14,000+ roll-over minutes. On hand, they could have just left me with my existing calling plan, but on the other, the chose instead to suggest a plan that was better suited to our current voice usage at the expense of them losing out on $20/mo.

Prior to AT&T, I had been with Verizon dating back to when it was still Bell Atlantic Mobile in the NY metro area. I can't say the same nice things about their customer service. Granted, BAM was technically a different company, but the time with Verizon was a pain in the ass when it came to their customer service. I'd finally had enough and switched to AT&T. But then that's the experience of one customer.

When I left the major carriers, I first went from Verizon to T-mobile and now I am with a combination of Straight Talk and Page Plus.

Other posters from other countries have noted how dramatically overcharged Americans are for their cell service.

Your argument amounts to "He buys me something nice after he beats me."

My wife and I have smartphones with unlimited talk/text and data for $45 each. That is $90 and btw, Straight Talk sub-leases AT&T's network with the phones I am using.

Ask yourself how much it would cost for you to have unlimited talk, text and data on AT&T. The difference between that and what you pay now is to what degree you are being ripped off. Saying they gave back a tiny bit of the ridiculous amount you are being overcharged is just nonsense. I have what I want for my family for $100 a month. The cost on AT&T and Verizon is almost double that. The subsidized phone model is a rip-off. The phones appears almost designed to fail at the 20 month mark (minus the iPhone of course.) If you break out of it and try prepaid, you'd likely never be able to tolerate going back to the post paid model.

The reason the customer service numbers are so low isn't because the networks are so terrible be they AT&T or Verizon. It is because the value proposition of using those networks is so terrible. If someone is spending $200 a month for a few phones and data, they are going to be ticked if the call ever drops or the data is slow. Make it half that and they wouldn't bat an eyelash.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,021member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

So much for CDMA being inferior to GSM. This study clearly shouldn't be used to claim CDMA is superior but it's impossible to claim the opposite when the top two rankings both go to carriers using CDMA technology.

That's utterly ridiculous. CDMA is far inferior to GSM. The issue is one of coverage and deployment...not the technical capabilities of the network.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Tests showed that AT&T offered the fastest speeds

Which is the most important thing for me. Also for me coverage is not an issue - so my results are directly counter to this report.

None of the carriers have decent customer service - the fact that one might suck a little less in some survey is really of little value.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

But if iPhone comes out with LTE that outperforms AT&T HSPA+*, Verizon will take over AT&T in that area, and AT&T should be scared sh***les.

*emphasized phrase added

LTE is a pretty meaningless acronym (but useful marketing buzzword!). Real world performance remains to be demonstrated. AT&T's HSPA+ network is far more mature than LTE - it's been deployed longer!

I'm not surfing on marketing slogans - I'm surfing on the network, and it's going to take more than a name to deliver real world performance.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

OIC, it was a survey, not actual usage tests. And a survey from none other than CR's subscribers - a demographic that makes one wonder about the value of their opinions. After all, they subscribe to CR and CR is as far from reality as one can get.

Could not agree more. Also The AI article was primarily a speed contest with the carriers on Apple iPhones.

CR article is about carriers and that should include all kinds of phones (both branding and smart versus feature). Once again CR results are skewed by their lack of detail.