Apple hiring more Siri engineers, working on evolving API, features, languages

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is a typical example of DED snide reporting... He really has to go out of his way to insert a not-so-subtle dig.

Writes very defensively the whole time. It's embarrassing.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If and when Apple releases their own TV line, It is pretty obvious that it will be SIRI controlled, as that will be the killer app that differentiates the Apple TV from everybody else's TV. Otherwise, why bother releasing any TV at all?

Talking to your TV doesn't feel right to me. This is why people on these forums constantly get Apple wrong I think. To me it seems pretty obvious the TV won't have Siri and all revolutions will come from the fact that it will be the first TV in history that can do it all with one simple remote.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm going on the record:

iTV will not have Siri

(speech features may be added to the remote app at some stage, but that's a different thing, and iTV will per perfectly functional without needing to own an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad)

Just a thought, but The iPhone 4s already has Siri so if it could control the iTV with the iphone verbally and other iOS devices gain Siri then the iTV might not need it directly or far field abilities.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I know a lot of people think that Siri will not make it into the living room. I disagree however.

Really? Who are you disagreeing with besides me? Because from where I'm sitting everyone on here is constaly predicting iTV will have Siri.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

How do you know that?

Think about it for a while... What does Siri bring to a TV?

Channel surfing (especially 500 channels) with a remote is really a form of masturbation...

<insert your own witty equivalent here>

but, even then a better remote just makes it easier to sit back and be passive -- the TV is the biggest display most of us will ever own -- and it controls us -- not the way it should be!

The TV can do better than that.. much better!
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Someone doesn't get it. You won't be yelling at your TV, you'll be speaking to the device in yout hand.

1) You're saying that in now will Siri tie into the TV making Siri. This means you won't be able to speak to the remote or iDevice to control your TV via Siri. Again, you're stated that there will be no Siri SW in the TV listening for commands to come from the Siri servers.

2) Saying something will be perfectly functional without it doesn't mean it won't be more functional with it so saying remotes will still work the same way as before is not an argument that Siri won' be included.

Look, the damn iTV product will come in a box and won't mention Siri on the box. It will come with a simple remote with the UI on the TV, just like Apple TV. Like I said, down the road or whenever people who run the remote app might gain Siri like functionality, but this will be seen as secondary and won't be part of the iTV product. I.E. if the remote app gets this feature it will be seen as more of a gimmick or experiment than anything else.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Then why even bother releasing an iTV if it's just going to be another television set?

Your imagination is boundless ; )
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Really? Who are you disagreeing with besides me? Because from where I'm sitting everyone on here is constaly predicting iTV will have Siri.

In the living room (family room, actually) the HDTV won't be the only TV [receiver] in the room...

...and the big TV can show what's on the little TVs... Or the big TV can be a colaboration of all the little TVs.

...jigsaw puzzle, Monopoly, Scrabble, video games... Even some TV content in there somewhere!
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Look, the damn iTV product will come in a box and won't mention Siri on the box. It will come with a simple remote with the UI on the TV, just like Apple TV. Like I said, down the road or whenever people who run the remote app might gain Siri like functionality, but this will be seen as secondary and won't be part of the iTV product. I.E. if the remote app gets this feature it will be seen as more of a gimmick or experiment than anything else.

Ireland... The simple remote fails because you can't:

-- easily drill-down to what you seek

-- enter text or passwords... And other stuff you need to enter

-- it is limited to selecting and playing predefined content

An intelligent remote (with or without Siri) changes all that...

Siri just makes it as natural as asking for what you want it to do!
  • Reply 30 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Writes very defensively the whole time. It's embarrassing.

I would say pugnaciously, like others I could name, me included. I'm surprised you're embarrassed.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Siri control of the TV is what Steve was talking about when he said he had "cracked it".

This does not mean that the TV needs to be Siri-aware. The remote needs to be Siri aware (alone or via a STB).

With Siri interaction, the TV becomes a totally different resource.

Not only does it it change how content is delivered... It changes the way it is monetized -- and disintermediates the established TV ecosystem.

I think it would just be a feature of the TV. The main issue is still content and I hope Steve was cracking this one.

Siri+TV(remote) is a no-brainer, which does not necessarily requires SJ's cracking ...
  • Reply 32 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

1) You're making guesses as to how you feel Apple should proceed so posting your comments as unwaverabke facts without any inside knowledge makes you look less than objective. ItMs embarrassing really.

2) With Siri clearly being a way to say simple sentences to a TV appliance without having to use a remote to enter a half dozen options just to use an arrow-based onscreen keyboard Would be a huge time savings. Jut like now with the 4S not everything will or could be replaced by Siri. For you to feel that Siri makes no sense you'll have to debunk the previous examples given by many in favor of a 5 button remote supplied by Apple.

3) All roads are pointing to Apple supporting TVa better in 2012. My previous comments of an Apple TV A/V is still the most logicall to get the features you want within the world we live in. Still waiting fr your rebuttal.

4) Still not buying an AppleHDTV with no HDMI inputs for game consoles and whatnot. Still

Waiting for your reply as to how Apple will deal with the content owners, advertisers, networks, their affiliates, and current distributers.

PS: I also predict (not staing as fact!) that BT4.0 will start undoing it's way into remotes in the future over true long running IR remotes.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmo8020 View Post

I think it would just be a feature of the TV. The main issue is still content and I hope Steve was cracking this one.

Siri+TV(remote) is a no-brainer, which does not necessarily requires SJ's cracking ...

Actually it isn't content... Anybody can deliver content... The existing, inbred, ecosystem delivers content.

You have to broaden your perspective of what a $2,000-$5,000 expenditure can do to improve your life -- over and above watching rereuns of Happy Days! (mental mush).

Rather than a vast wasteland the TV is still a fantastic opportunity!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I can hardly wait for Siri with the accent of the Swedish Chef....

Or... A vun, a two, a tree.. vee going to have a hookielauo!
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft, however, is at a disadvantage with Windows Phone because its user base is extremely small and appears not to be gaining any traction in the market, limiting the volume and range of real world samples it can use to improve its service.

Microsoft has Kinect so they can get real world voice samples from that.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

This does not mean that the TV needs to be Siri-aware. The remote needs to be Siri aware (alone or via a STB).

What about a ... combadge !
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Talking to your TV doesn't feel right to me. This is why people on these forums constantly get Apple wrong I think. To me it seems pretty obvious the TV won't have Siri and all revolutions will come from the fact that it will be the first TV in history that can do it all with one simple remote.

That's right. But you can hold the iPhone closeby and talk to it more or less privately. No need to let the aTV do that. No need for an aTV touch screen either, if the iPhone can do all the UI stuff.

Moreover, a future aTV should be in full control of all the inputs (doing away with multiple remotes), so it should be able to route all video sources to the TV screen.

Now how are we going to control this digital hub, which in turn needs to be able to select satellite channels, control players, control some features of the TV screen (which won't need all the proprietary -and ad-hoc designed- crap of e.g., Samsung). Is a HDMI connection up to that? Or will it have to be Thunderbolt connecting all those devices.

I can see the aTV already doing much of this, but there is a lot of room for expansion of future aTVs, even if they remain settop boxes, rather than being integrated in the TV.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I know a lot of people think that Siri will not make it into the living room. I disagree however. It is the only thing that makes any sense, especially after the quote about Steve finally cracking the TV in the Living Room.

"cracking the TV in the Living Room" isn't related to Siri. At least not according to Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. Steve wasn't involved with Siri and saw it for the first time as a final product (the iPhone 4S).

J.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    curtcurt Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joehoss View Post

Apple please, Siri по-руский!

Mind the spelling!

по-русски 'in Russian' (an adverb, so it doesn't have the -ий adjective ending)

as opposed to the adjective русский:

русский язык 'the Russian language'

русское радио 'Russian radio'

русская водка 'Russian vodka'

I'm sure Siri will get it down once she (he?) learns Russian! : )
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Stated above:

"Microsoft, however, is at a disadvantage with Windows Phone because its user base is extremely small and appears not to be gaining any traction in the market, limiting the volume and range of real world samples it can use to improve its service."

You neglect to mention that they receive nearly 100 million calls/day through their TellMe subsidiary where many of their computational linguists and speech scientests reside.

In addition to the considerable speech reco talent at Microsoft, Google's speech team comes from the "Blue Nuance" which was the original Nuance prior to ScanSoft's 2005 acquisition of Nuance and came from SRI Int'l.

Apple? Nada. They contracted with the current "Green" Nuance (former ScanSoft) to deliver the speech reco services for Siri.

What Apple is hiring focuses on natural language understanding, not speech reco.

Speech reco is the ability to take audio and accurately create text from it. That is Nuance, Google and Microsoft's strong suit with many years of experience.

What happens after the speech reco produces text is in the app. In Siri's case, it is natural language understanding which is a fancy way of understanding context of human languare in text form so the app can then provide the appropriate feedback based on some activity like checking location, temperature, time etc against a weather web site. Then the text output uses Text To Speech, again from Nuance.

The language experts Apple is hiring have nothing to do with the speech reco, they will focus on the NLU portion of Siri.

Siri without the speech reco is pretty cool, it's a very scaled down version of IBM's Watson (and there are many other examples, but most non-experts are aware of Watson.)

However, there is NO Artificial Intelligence in Siri, contrary to the claims of the founders. A close friend's son is an AI expert with the appropriate PhD from Harvard to demonstrate his knowledge and experience. He ran a few easy tests for AI and Siri failed them all.

So stripped down to its bare framework, Siri is an NLU app with a speech reco UI on the front and TTS (Text To Speech) on the backend UI.

Nuance could be bought by Google to protect their speech reco patents, or more likely, by Microsoft due to their strong industry alignments in healthcare and automotive.

And where would that leave Apple? Six years behind GOOG and MSFT!

Beware Apple......either buy NUAN or suffer seriously negative consequences!