Parents complain Amazon's Kindle Fire gives kids access to porn, accounts

124678

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 150
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post


    I honestly think the non Apple industry looks at it in a way that you bought it you deal with it. Kinda like buying a car. Would you let your 10 year old drive it? They think there should be some sort of parent monitoring. But Apple has done better. They have controls built into the IOS iPad to keep this from happening.



    time for a class action lawsuit. it is incredibly incompetent and irresponsible for Amazon not to require an activation confirmation with password. heck you have to do that just to comment on some blogs!
  • Reply 62 of 150
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member
    I would call this article a troll.

    For Apple fans with less (than 4GB) memory, Apple updated their privacy policy silently somewhere around March of this year to say content can be purchased without needing for Apple account password for 15 minutes and the users agree for that. Did they do it for parental concerns? I wish they had. It was a result of a lawsuit. Check the updates around iOS4.3. May be, Kindle too will come across one before they update their s/w. But I doubt if they will do any updates before end of holiday season. Any new bug can potentially harm the holiday season, especially with so many bashers around.

    Like one of the readers mentioned, it looks like this site is built to 'praise the lord' and bash everyone else as satans.

    I own quite a few apple products myself, including the latest MBP (that I'm typing on). I have a Kindle and I have an iOS device to compare the security features. People who complain may not know the use of screen lock with passcode feature, or may be they want to find a reason to buy a device that forces screened content to be pushed only via one approved s/w gateway.



    Let aesthetics not fool you into becoming a blind follower of a monopolistic company!
  • Reply 63 of 150
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    If your kids are downloading porn and abusing your credit card, you the parent are the only one to blame.
  • Reply 64 of 150
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post


    Nope. Two females, 19 and 14, smart and healthy, if I do say so myself : ) My point is you either buy this widget which offers some things you want and some you don't, or you don't buy it. You either tell your kids to not do something and accept what happens when they do it anyway, or you don't.



    Your kids might do something excessive with a loophole they've figured out, and if they buy $5,000 worth of porn you simply ream them out and then when they're out of earshot have a good laugh. It's all part of the package. There are no guarantees with this stuff. She wants half of the package, like email with zero spam or winters with no storms. What I meant is that there some things you just have to accept the possibility of once you let something be a part of your family and if you don't accept it, don't let it in. I don't buy into the notion that she has anything to complain about. It's not a kids toy. Why is it Amazon's fault she isn't having them play DVDs on a portable DVD player instead?



    WRONG! what you're saying is it is ok for any business to sell dangerous or unsafe or insecure products, and it's 100% the consumer's fault for being dumb or careless enuff to buy them if they get hurt by it.



    go back to the 19th Century, ok? those were the rules in those days.
  • Reply 65 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post


    I've got no issue with it being reported. My problem is that the reporting is not objective. AI is only reporting negative aspects of the Kindle Fire, despite the device being rather well-received overall.



    There is practically no such thing as truly objective reporting.



    I visit Apple sites and not other sites, so that I can be free from retarded people and filthy Fandroids that troll their comment sections. There's a reason why I don't bother to read what the morons write in the comments section on sites like Engadget for example.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post


    They suck no more or less than obsessive Apple fans. As I've suggested previously, unwavering devotion to any multinational corporation is ridiculous and illogical.



    You're totally mistaken if you think that I have an unwavering devotion to any corporation.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post


    and you are on the wrong side of it.



    That is merely your opinion.
  • Reply 66 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Yes, I've noticed that.







    I happen to think that Android is garbage, and that is a totally valid opinion. I am passionate about tech products that I use, and don't pretend that you aren't, otherwise you wouldn't spend time posting and visiting such forums.



    I'm passionate about Android...because I like it...but when I post on XDA, AndroidCommunity, TheVerge Android forums, etc I do not demean users of iOS, WP7, BBOS, etc etc etc...



    I do not feel superior somehow because some brand (or in my case brands) of tech appeals to me. I do not forcibly insert anti-"anything I don't like" rants into otherwise benign conversations. I do not do any of this. You do...often unprovoked.



    I don't give a sh!t about this Windows 7 computer I'm on or the Mac OSX 10.6.8 PC I use at work. I do like Windows explorer better than Mac Finder but as far as preferential difference goes that's it.



    I am here because of AppleInsiders insistence of running Android centric articles and thus populating my RSS feeds. I joined because of comments from the likes of you or the insane amount of misinformation spit forth by the writers and commenters.



    I am here because of the irrational worship of Apple products and the late great Steven Jobs and the fact that such fanaticism always sets me off (religion especially).



    I am here because of how a lot of you treat Apple as if they are infallible...as if everything said is inerrant (can't count how many times I've seen comments start with "well Steve said" as if that actually means anything and I've even had to point out that Steve said and thought some things which probably shortened his life significantly which is unfortunate IMO)



    I do not always agree with Apple...legally I disagree more than I agree. I've openly supported a majority of their claims against Samsung but the other cases seem iffy and excessive to me.



    So to summarize...being passionate about a tech purchase is fine...go for it...have fun...I know many many Apple lovers and I do not see how any sane individual can blame them. But Apple isn't the be all end all...Apple isn't some inerrant being worthy of any sort of worship. Apple doesn't make you better or make your dick bigger. Apple is tech...



    That's it.



    /semi-coherent rant.
  • Reply 67 of 150
    What are parents with young children doing with a tablet anyway? I thought having children was a one way ticket to the poor house.
  • Reply 68 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    You're totally mistaken if you think that I have an unwavering devotion to any corporation.



    If it walks like a duck...and talks like a duck...
  • Reply 69 of 150
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post


    WRONG! what you're saying is it is ok for any business to sell dangerous or unsafe or insecure products, and it's 100% the consumer's fault for being dumb or careless enuff to buy them if they get hurt by it.



    go back to the 19th Century, ok? those were the rules in those days.



    Allow me to quote the esteemed SpamSandwich, who summed up my post very concisely:



    "Parents think they can buy the latest 'whatever' gadgets for their kids and forget about monitoring their activities. Pretty stupid, but also pretty common."



    We're not talking about a box that explodes into a million poisonous shards when touched in the wrong place. It's a gateway to an internet merchant, for cryin' out loud.



    Plus, they bought a gateway to Amazon and its products. They didn't buy The My Little Pony Speak and Spell video game. Don't let the kids watch TV and then complain about what they watch, every day for ten years.



    The best parental control is a parent.
  • Reply 70 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post


    I agree. Either report in a balanced way about competitors' products or don't report about them at all.



    It is reporting like this which gives the Apple fan community a bad name. The Kindle Fire has generally been well-received; it is disingenuous to focus solely on relatively minor negative aspects such as this. What is the purpose of this site; to inform, or to whip the fanboy crowd into a frenzy?



    How does one report an egregious flaw that many people will consider unacceptable, in a "balanced way"? This isn't Wikipedia! AI isn't trying to offer some patsy overview of the tablet market. They're repotting a story. It's news that Amazon released a tablet that is unsafe for kids, when its main value is (according to most reviews) a cheap iPad-alternative you can give to your kids.



    Also, the "Apple fan community" only has "a bad name" among members of the "non-Apple fan community."



    Seriously, what a stupid thing to write. Do you also complain on every damn Gizmodo post that what they're saying is negative and not balanced in a universally ecumenical sort of way? STFU
  • Reply 71 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post


    Allow me to quote the esteemed SpamSandwich, who summed up my post very concisely:



    "Parents think they can buy the latest 'whatever' gadgets for their kids and forget about monitoring their activities. Pretty stupid, but also pretty common."



    We're not talking about a box that explodes into a million poisonous shards when touched in the wrong place. It's a gateway to an internet merchant, for cryin' out loud. They bought a gateway to Amazon and its products. They didn't buy The My Little Pony Speak and Spell video game.



    The best parental control is a parent.



    Or, you know, a digital device with the basic software functionality of being locked down or having its auto-shop feature disabled.



    If this were an Apple product, it would be Pornogate and Al Franken would be investigating.
  • Reply 72 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post


    I've got no issue with it being reported. My problem is that the reporting is not objective. AI is only reporting negative aspects of the Kindle Fire, despite the device being rather well-received overall.



    The only feature of the Kindle Fire that has been well received is its $199 price.
  • Reply 73 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    That's it.



    Well, you shouldn't take personally whatever I say about Fandroids, because my comments are targeted towards the filthy people, like the ones on Engadget and other sites, and there are certainly many of those kinds of Fandroids around. There's even a few infiltrators on this site.
  • Reply 74 of 150
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,589member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skolvikings View Post


    Is this an Apple site or a Kindle Fire site? Oh yeah, the Kindle Fire is potentially a threat to a beloved Apple product. Therefore anything potentially negative about it must be reported immediately.



    *sigh*



    Like I've commented previously, I have numerous iOS devices and love them, and loved this blog to find out about new Apple stuff. But alas, it's time to dump you from my RSS feed reader. I'm not an Apple zealot, and can't deal with anymore of the "bash everyone else" stories.



    Look, if I care about the Kindle Fire (or any other product for that matter), I'll go read the pros and cons on sites that cover that stuff. I expected *APPLE*Insider to be about, oh... I dunno... APPLE STUFF.



    *sigh*



    Guess that's not the case. You'll probably tell yourself "good riddance" or "who cares" or whatever, but I will say that perhaps you'd have more readers if you focused on your niche, and stopped with all the bashing of others stuff. I mean, an occasional post about the competition is probably to be expected, but lately it's one negative Kindle Fire story after another. Enough already!



    It's been nice. \



    And yes, good riddance! For those of us truly interested in all things apple, like protecting our stock investment, the competitive landscape is extremely important. As it is in advising our friends and family about the wisdom of their purchases or intended purchases. It is also equally important to those in the development community who might be considering developing for other platforms as well. Since you show up as a member since "November, 2011" you have hardly "loved this blog" for very long - you sound more like a troll who has no clue what the apple market is all about. So take a walk, you won't be missed.
  • Reply 75 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post


    The only feature of the Kindle Fire that has been well received is its $199 price.



    Yep, that's the main reason that some people are liking that so-called tablet. It's all about the cheap price. These people do not care about quality or features, they care about their broke wallet.
  • Reply 76 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Well, you shouldn't take personally whatever I say about Fandroids, because my comments are targeted towards the filthy people, like the ones on Engadget and other sites, and there are certainly many of those kinds of Fandroids around. There's even a few infiltrators on this site.



    This I can agree with and it is annoying as hell...doesn't happen often on Android centric sites ironically...but on tech blogs like Engadget it happens far too often.



    And I don't take anything as personally as it seems. My family is really passionate about essentially pointless shit. You should see us argue over the last slice of pizza. lol.
  • Reply 77 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post


    The only feature of the Kindle Fire that has been well received is its $199 price.



    Not entirely true...but the price is why it's selling relatively well.



    The Kindle fire is the ONLY tablet I've heard someone speak about in the "real world" aside from the iPad.
  • Reply 78 of 150
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    If it walks like a duck...and talks like a duck...



    You are in no position to talk about an unwavering devotion for something.



    You are much more fanatical, since you admit that you prefer Android, yet you choose to constantly visit an Apple site.



    You sound ridiculous by accusing me of being an Apple fan on an Apple site.



    If I were half as fanatical as you were, I would be on Android forums trying to spread the Apple gospel. As a matter of fact, I don't give a shit what they talk about on those forums.
  • Reply 79 of 150
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    If your kids are downloading porn and abusing your credit card, you the parent are the only one to blame.



    Well, I wouldn't say that it's the parents' fault necessarily, but it sure is a different issue than the controls on the device they used to order it. If they want it, they'll find it, and if you lock yours down and they are determined to do it they'll do it from a friend's.



    Device controls can be a good thing, but they solve only one aspect of a larger issue: they move the cookie jar higher. They don't make anything go away.
  • Reply 80 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post


    How does one report an egregious flaw that many people will consider unacceptable, in a "balanced way"?



    Seriously, what a stupid thing to write. Do you also complain on every damn Gizmodo post that what they're saying is negative and not balanced in a universally ecumenical sort of way? STFU



    If you had actually read my whole post before foaming at the mouth and issuing personal insults, you would have realised that in mentioning 'balance' I was referring to AI's posts on the Kindle Fire as a whole being unjustifiably negative, not calling for balance within one specific post.
Sign In or Register to comment.