Apple's next-gen iPad arriving in 3-4 months, suppliers say

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or better yet - if Apple improves all of the internals of the iPad and makes it a demonstrably better product yet leaves the case unchanged, the noise from the whiners will be deafening.

Yep. And as usual, the whiners will all be dead wrong, just like they were about the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    iPad 3 will be my first iPad. The consequence for me and my purchasing is that I will be less likely to replace my 17-inch MBP this year as scheduled (three years).
  • Reply 43 of 55
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    These anal-ysts are confusing Apple starting production early with Apple releasing it early.

Apple either want a LOT of stock or need more time to create the same amount of stock because of the technological boundaries that they are pushing.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sources within Apple's supply chain have suggested that the next generation of iPads will arrive on the market in the next 3-4 months....

Come to daddy!
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

... In other news Analysts have confirmed that water is definitely wet etc etc. ...

That's a tautology, but, yeah, not much of a rumor that the iPad 3 will come out right when everyone expects it to, based on past release dates.

But, maybe it won't be released till June, at WWDC, now that the iPhone has moved to Fall releases. Or maybe they'll stick to schedule and WWDC will be used for iOS (and Mac OS X) announcements, which would make more sense than the early spring announcements they were doing.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, that is true. If there is some sort of super hi-res display, there's going to be a lot more pixels to push around, but the GPU performance from iPad 1 to iPad 2 did increase substantially, so I see no reason why the GPU performance can't increase again from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3.

I don't expect a high res display.

I expect the new iPad to be an iPad 2S with a faster chip and SIRI.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Did you just passive agressively start an argument against no one?

He's says arguing with "the asshats on this forum". They are vividly real to him.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're correct, the sample size is only 2, so anything is possible, but if it is only a minor speed bump or an "iPad 2S", then I'm probably going to have to stay away from forums for a while when it comes out as the whining and moaning will just be incredible, unlike anything seen before.

A MAJOR speed bump. Plus SIRI. Maybe some Maps stuff too.

Just like the iPhone 5, err..... the iPhone 4S.

• Reply 49 of 55
    jccjcc Posts: 335member
    How is this news? Isn't this the same time of year Apple releases their iPads anyway? Duh?

They've done it the past 2 times so how is it a surprise that they're doing it a 3rd time? Duh?
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I have my doubts on the 'retina' display. Don't get me wrong, I would be elated to see such a display on a tablet, but the fact that its pushing significantly more pixels than a 1080p display, plus the fact that the majority of laptops can't even source decent 720p panels leaves me somewhat doubtful. To put it in perspective, its is as many pixels as the apple 30" cinema display in a 10" handheld device. That's just mindblowing to me.

eitherway, with or without a retina display, I'll be interest to see what apple does with the ipad3 and a6. Google and asus have thrown down the gauntlet with ICS and the transformer prime respectively; lets see how apple responds.

I also don't believe the retina display rumors. Apple is going to release a new iPad in 2012, but whether retina display makes the cut or not depends on supply and the costs of production. So far, we've heard that yields are low. This is not a good sign for going into mass production for 2012. I would not count on it. Looks like there will be "disappointed" fans driven to new heights of unrealistic expectations thanks to these supply chain rumors.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I also don't believe the retina display rumors. Apple is going to release a new iPad in 2012, but whether retina display makes the cut or not depends on supply and the costs of production. So far, we've heard that yields are low. This is not a good sign for going into mass production for 2012. I would not count on it. Looks like there will be "disappointed" fans driven to new heights of unrealistic expectations thanks to these supply chain rumors.

Based on the various anecdotal "evidence" (read: rumours) that is mirroring what I recall of the iPhone 4 getting Retina Display I think this rumour is sounding plausible. I am not holding my breath and have clearly expressed on numerous occasions the multiple reasons why pushing 3.2 million pixels from a handheld device would be an issue, but perhaps Apple has figured out how to deal with it. We've also seen Samsung readying a display with an even higher pixel count, a 16:10 2560x1600 display.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I wouldn't count on it either. The Android tablets will have them, but at the price of profit margin.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Those benchmarks show a performance gain as high as 7X - which is exactly what Apple said.

Or were you so gullible that you thought that 'up to 7x' means '7x on every single test'?

No, I'm saying "up to 7x faster" without specifics is meaningless.

Quote:

So does that mean the extra work to display all the extra pixels is easier on CPU/GPU resources that when you display more "real estate" in the case of higher resolution on a Mac screen? Maybe I'm saying it wrong, but I think we're talking about a somewhat different display task.....???

Short answer is no. Irregardless of what you display, at the end of the day, you still have to calculate color values for all of the additional pixels.

Quote:

Even going by those actual benchmarks, the iPad 2 GPU still blows the iPad 1 out of the water.

The first test was over 3 x better than the iPad 1. The second test was almost 5 x more powerful than the iPad 1 and the last test was more than 5 x more powerful than the iPad 1.

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't blow the iPad1 out of the water. I just meant that the term "up to 7x faster" is not enough information to draw any useful conclusions from.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Anand predicts a 32nm A9-based design for A6, and I'm inclined to believe him.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/a...-att-verizon/7

As to A15 I'm kinda doubting we will ever see it in an iPad. A9 would be the smarter move until a 64 bit solution can be had.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

No, I'm saying "up to 7x faster" without specifics is meaningless.

Benchmarks can be used to lead he gullible around by the nose. Much like Apple did in the G5 days. They posted all sorts of Alt-Vec benchmarks while ignoring the terrible integer performance of the G5.

Quote:

Short answer is no. Irregardless of what you display, at the end of the day, you still have to calculate color values for all of the additional pixels.

Most of the time yes you do. It will be interesting to see how Apple approaches this. However if they can get to a sub 32nm node they might be able to actually increase performance while lowering power.

In the end though all of those pixels will require a new architecture. I would be surprised to find out that they will go with one iPod the video memory technologies used on the latest video cards for main memory. Bandwidth will be a problem. They could also address rather bandwidth issue by putting a frame buffer right on the SoC. A simple run of the mill SoC implementation won't cut it.

Quote:

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't blow the iPad1 out of the water. I just meant that the term "up to 7x faster" is not enough information to draw any useful conclusions from.

CPU wise A5 isn't that much faster. Having two Cores does make a difference as does Apples attention to developer tools to support access to that computational power. In the end though Apple focused on the GPU which is frankly refreshing for Apple.