Interactive Grand Central Apple Store panoramic tailored to iOS devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has posted a panoramic picture of its new Grand Central Terminal retail location, makes it interactive by leveraging the gyroscope found in iOS devices.

In an update to its retail location website on Monday, Apple added a 360° panoramic view of its new Grand Central Terminal Apple Store that can be controlled by iOS devices using their built-in gyroscopes.

This is the first time Apple has included this type of interactive graphic on its retail website, though it is unclear whether the feature will be adopted for other upcoming store locations or is unique to the gigantic New York outlet.

To view the panoramic, iOS device users can visit the Apple Store website and select the "View More Photos" option in the bottom left of the landing page picture.

A viewer will pop up illustrating various features of the store, with the interactive panoramic labeled "360." The 360° photograph uses gyroscopes to control movement, so to look around users can simply move their device in the air instead of pushing onscreen buttons.

Screenshot from iPhone 4S of Grand Central Store panoramic photo

PC users can also experience the panoramic photo, though view is controlled by mouse input instead of an iDevice's gyroscope.

Screenshot from Mac with mouse controls

Apple opened the doors to its Grand Central store on Dec. 9, welcoming hordes of customers to one of the company's largest retail locations in the world, which is staffed by 315 employees and features the largest Personal Setup area in the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    All-righty then!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To view the panoramic, iOS device users can visit the Apple Store website and select the "View More Photos" option in the bottom left of the landing page picture.

I don't see this on my iPhone.

[Edit: Thanks, Wurm5150. I see they were referring to what to do when you click on the link in the article, which wasn't in the description above. I tried directly visiting the main store page. This is very cool!]
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I don't see this on my iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/retail/grandcentral/

It's a better experience on the iPad than on the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Very cool!

Only in NY.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    The shots make it seem as if Grand Central IS now an Apple Store. If that's the way it really feels on-site, Apple got quite a bargain indeed for that space.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    It's amazing seeing all those people lined up just to get free Black Eyed Peas tickets.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It keeps crashing my iPad 1.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The 3d panoramic, gyroscope photo doesn't really impress me as I've seen plenty of those before on my iPad, but there's no denying that that is one cool and huge location for an Apple store to be located at.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It keeps crashing my iPad 1.

Mine too, since upgrading to iOS5 my ipad1s safari gets system shutdowned due to low memory very often, I hope they fixes it with iOS 5.1.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That is amazing VR ... Where are the Apple tools to do this Apple?

I love how if you walk around with your iPad you seem move around the station.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

Mine too, since upgrading to iOS5 my ipad1s safari gets system shutdowned due to low memory very often, I hope they fixes it with iOS 5.1.

Yep... same here. First gen iPad - Safari crashing about every 10 minutes of use -- or every other time this 360 tries to load. I've cleared the open applications and restarted the iPad multiple times. The whole thing has been slowing down a lot lately -- it is very slow to recognize taps or typing.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    I'm confused. Where does the store end, and the station begin? Is the store part of the station??? There are no walls....

The panorama crashes on my OG iPad as well......
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

I'm confused. Where does the store end, and the station begin? Is the store part of the station??? There are no walls....

The panorama crashes on my OG iPad as well......

Seems to me rather like the Station has become part of the store. Well done Apple !!

Maybe the compass function is required alongside the gyroscopes, wich comes to my knowledge only with the 3G model.

Anyway on my iPad2 3G this works very smooth. It feels really like you were there looking around through a glossy black frame.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Its not working for my iPhone 4S or my iPad 1 or my PC :-(((
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Its not working for my iPhone 4S or my iPad 1 or my PC :-(((

Are you using Safari browser? I can see it fine on my iPhone 4 and MBA.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Maecvs said: Is the store part of the station??? There are no walls....

In a store without walls.... who needs Windows?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Are you using Safari browser? I can see it fine on my iPhone 4 and MBA.

Thanks, Capoeira4U, it works on the iPhone 4S (They didn't said you have to tap the photo on the lower right corner that said 360 view)

But still doesn't wok on my iPad 1, keeps closing the brower :-(