Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri

Comments

• Reply 141 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

OMG. . .

Rather than accuse you of being obtuse, I'll repeat: Voice control came before Siri, Google Voice actions etc. Everything that has and will follow started there and is a part of what makes Siri/Voice Actions/Majel or whatever work. Natural voice services build on voice control. Thus saying Google has been working on voice control (which the normal reader understands as voice features but whatever) for years is absolutely true, and the next update will improve and enhance existing voice features is again absolutely true. Baby steps. . .

It'a may be a slow day and looking for some way to find a technical snippet of a post to disagree with must be some members way of filling it.

Again, you wrote "I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Google's been working on voice control for several years?"

You clearly think having voice control is somehow synonymous with what Siri is and does. You don't understand that it's getting multiple parts working together each with a certain level of sophication that makes the ntelligent software assistant useful.

Hell, Apple has had voice control for their Mac Chess game for a decade(?) now, but no one is calling that the same as Siri.
  • Reply 142 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I thought Google claimed that the voice assistant currently in Android was already up to snuff.

Guess not.

That's was an MS exec Craig Mundie who said they had a Siri-like tech for more than a year with WP7's TellMe.
  • Reply 143 of 180
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Again, you wrote "I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Google's been working on voice control for several years?"

You clearly think having voice control is somehow synonymous with what Siri is and does. You don't understand that it's getting multiple parts working together each with a certain level of sophication that makes the ntelligent software assistant useful.

Hell, Apple has had voice control for their Mac Chess game for a decade(?) now, but no one is calling that the same as Siri.

The "big deal" I referred to was Google offering Majel and some here claiming it was only to copy Apple. It wasn't that Siri or a similar service was no big deal. Is that where your misunderstanding originated?

To Dick Applebaum: I don't know. Until a little earlier I hadn't considered that Google might have a quandary to deal with concerning how far to take voice features. The short answer is I haven't thought that thru fully, but then again that's Google's issue to deal with and I doubt they care what I think. They may end up offering something none us us have even considered yet, or nothing at all in the spring. This is all rumor at this point.
  • Reply 144 of 180
    another day, another troll post from the tards at AI

remember, apple didn't actually develop Siri, they paid a lot of money for it to bump up what they knew would be an otherwise poor upgrade to their already flagging iphone line. Yet another case of, if they can't innovate, or steal an idea, buy it in wholesale.
  • Reply 145 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shao View Post

another day, another troll post from the tards at AI

remember, apple didn't actually develop Siri, they paid a lot of money for it to bump up what they knew would be an otherwise poor upgrade to their already flagging iphone line. Yet another case of, if they can't innovate, or steal an idea, buy it in wholesale.

Yup, tried and tested. Remember Google buying Keyhole for instance and all the praise they get for originality of Google Earth and Google Maps?

Apple aren't alone in acquiring partners and then developing them in house and taking credit for it.
  • Reply 146 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

A) this is a rumor

B) this is just an evolution of voice actions, something which already exists on Android and has for a while

C) Apple didn't invent Siri

D) Apple has no monopoly on voice action, voice control, etc etc etc.

True, but so what? Google has nothing as cool as Siri, today. As the Android folks always say - wait 'till the next version of Android - then you'll see how awesome Android is.

Apple actually shipped usable speech recognition and text to speech before Google was even a company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlainTalk

And highly customizable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakable_items

All this stuff was advanced for the time, but eventually it was turned into VoiceOver for the Mac and iOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoiceOver

Siri was just the next step to making things work naturally, and Apple probably could save a few hundred million by buying Siri instead of researching and getting sued to make Siri completely in house.
  • Reply 147 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Google Voice Actions came out in Froyo, in August 2010. Apple added Siri in August 2011, buying a voice recognition app from a smaller developer in order to quickly catch up. Android's voice recognition feature was a full year earlier. All this article is about is Google renaming GVA to something more catchy in order to better compete with Apple's marketing machine. Apple certainly didn't invent the idea, and they weren't first to introduce it in a smartphone OS either.

Um. Development of Siri started in 2007.
  • Reply 148 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

True, but so what? Google has nothing as cool as Siri, today. As the Android folks always say - wait 'till the next version of Android - then you'll see how awesome Android is.

Apple actually shipped usable speech recognition and text to speech before Google was even a company. . .

Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to forget that Google is still a really young company, founded just 13 years ago. Facebook is even younger, just 8 yrs since inception. Amazon at 17 years old is almost ancient. Compare to Apple's 35 years. Put in that perspective it's amazing Google, Facebook and even Amazon has done what they have so far.
  • Reply 149 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Um. Development of Siri started in 2007.

. . . and Grand Central, one of the underpinnings to Google Voice Actions, was founded in 2005. Neither founding date matters all that much in their success or failure.
  • Reply 150 of 180
    Quote:

To Dick Applebaum: I don't know. Until a little earlier I hadn't considered that Google might have a quandary to deal with concerning how far to take voice features. The short answer is I haven't thought that thru fully, but then again that's Google's issue to deal with and I doubt they care what I think. They may end up offering something none us us have even considered yet, or nothing at all in the spring. This is all rumor at this point.

I have thought about it...

I think that as the next step, Google will:

-- improve their voice search, but still return search results and ads

-- integrate voice more deeply into Android

But it will not match what Siri does today.

Then, sometime early next year, Apple will:

-- add a single feature to Siri that changes everything

-- make Siri available on any Apple hardware capable of running it

-- allow Siri to run locally on the device where possible

-- add access to additional web/cloud services

-- integrate Siri into virtually all iOS Apple apps

-- provide a roadmap (APIs/SDK) for developers to utilize Siri in their apps (both iOS and OS X)

Likely, these won't happen the above order, or all at once... But they will happen!

At that point, Google (and MS) will have no choice but to follow suit -- even if it means disintermediating their search/ad revenue.
  • Reply 151 of 180
    heh ...

that video comparing Siri to Windows Tellme was hilarious ...
  • Reply 152 of 180
    Since we are talking about speech...

I should also remind people that if you use the Zarvox voice in System Preferences - Speech as the default, and have it say "Droooid", it sounds like the Motorola droid commercial.

In Safari. Highlight "Droooid" and then Edit > Speech > Start Talking.
  • Reply 153 of 180
    ...that Eric Schmidt stood/sat in front of a congressional committee and cited Siri is directly impacting web search (Google's primary revenue stream). So they HAVE to counter Siri with "Majel" to protect the ad revenue which supports every other project (like Android) they currently have running. And they will HAVE to be very careful to build out additional backend controls and services to be able to add in things comparable to Wolfram Alpha (if they cannot get partnership with them AND include ad deliverables).

Siri in one fell swoop dismembered traditional web searching by using targeted sources for responses, only going to standard search once those avenues are exhausted. You can bet that "Majel" will drive some additional changes in Google search engine technologies as well to bring "Majel" up to par with Siri services.

It will be interesting to see if Apple increments out improvements to Siri in small steps, or develops significant major updates which significantly widen and deepen Siri service availability and integration, especially as augmented reality is built out on mobile devices.

The way to look at how all the interface parts fit togther is to stop and think about how you interact with another human being. If you need to get someone's attention, there are contextual and relational selections you can make. For example, walking up to and tapping someone on their shoulder, versus yelling their name in a crowd. Or asking a question of someone next to you while talking on the phone. All of these nuances are part of building out better interfacing and interaction with mobile devices and computers. Voice interaction doesn't replace touch, it augments it. Touch doesn't consistently replace keyboard/pointing device controls, it augments it. Together they make for powerful controls of our mobile and stationary computing devices.

If Google isn't thinking about the entire picture (which is the way it seems at times), they will continue to produce fragmented features. Apple because of Jobs' influence is constantly looking at the user interface challenge and building to that highly integrated vision where all interface options can work together harmoniously to assist the user in using the device. The ultimate ideal is to simply have the device as a logical and seamless extension of the user.
  • Reply 154 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Yeah. It would earn points with the Star Trek nerds who are probably all Android users....

I'm pretty sure that any one who is into Star Trek (as opposed to that abomination known as "Star Wars"), would be into iOS and not Android. Especially lovers of the original series. The whole aesthetic is Apple leaning.
  • Reply 155 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

...that Eric Schmidt stood/sat in front of a congressional committee and cited Siri is directly impacting web search (Google's primary revenue stream). So they HAVE to counter Siri with "Majel" to protect the ad revenue which supports every other project (like Android) they currently have running. And they will HAVE to be very careful to build out additional backend controls and services to be able to add in things comparable to Wolfram Alpha (if they cannot get partnership with them AND include ad deliverables).

Siri in one fell swoop dismembered traditional web searching by using targeted sources for responses, only going to standard search once those avenues are exhausted. You can bet that "Majel" will drive some additional changes in Google search engine technologies as well to bring "Majel" up to par with Siri services.

It will be interesting to see if Apple increments out improvements to Siri in small steps, or develops significant major updates which significantly widen and deepen Siri service availability and integration, especially as augmented reality is built out on mobile devices.

The way to look at how all the interface parts fit togther is to stop and think about how you interact with another human being. If you need to get someone's attention, there are contextual and relational selections you can make. For example, walking up to and tapping someone on their shoulder, versus yelling their name in a crowd. Or asking a question of someone next to you while talking on the phone. All of these nuances are part of building out better interfacing and interaction with mobile devices and computers. Voice interaction doesn't replace touch, it augments it. Touch doesn't consistently replace keyboard/pointing device controls, it augments it. Together they make for powerful controls of our mobile and stationary computing devices.

If Google isn't thinking about the entire picture (which is the way it seems at times), they will continue to produce fragmented features. Apple because of Jobs' influence is constantly looking at the user interface challenge and building to that highly integrated vision where all interface options can work together harmoniously to assist the user in using the device. The ultimate ideal is to simply have the device as a logical and seamless extension of the user.

Well thought out.
  • Reply 156 of 180
    all i have to say is.... sales numbers don't lie.

iphone sales are still going strong... was it siri which attributed to the sales...who knows..who cares....the point of the matter is that the sales and demands for the iphone is there.

android on the other hand are not.
  • Reply 157 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah, it was CCR...

..."there's a bathroom on the right"

Edit: Oh.... A whole new category... Siri Mondegreens!

I've always been a Hendrix fan...

..."scuze me while I kiss this guy"
  • Reply 158 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Athyna.sc View Post

all i have to say is.... sales numbers don't lie.

iphone sales are still going strong... was it siri which attributed to the sales...who knows..who cares....the point of the matter is that the sales and demands for the iphone is there.

android on the other hand are not.

So as not to be corrected later on by repeating that, Android smartphone sales are handily exceeding Apple iPhone sales and have been for some number of months. No big deal really, but I didn't want you to be called out on it simply because you weren't aware.
  • Reply 159 of 180
    Quote:

So as not to be corrected later on by repeating that, Android smartphone sales are handily exceeding Apple iPhone sales and have been for some number of months. No big deal really, but I didn't want you to be called out on it simply because you weren't aware.

You mean all vendors using Android as their smartphone OS are outnumbering Apple's iPhone. Gotcha! And what's your point? If it's regarding a healthy ecosystem then why exclude all other devices that use iOS and Android OS unless you are purposely trying to skew the results for some secret anti-Apple agenda?
  • Reply 160 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean all vendors using Android as their smartphone OS are outnumbering Apple's iPhone. Gotcha! And what's your point? If it's regarding a healthy ecosystem then why exclude all other devices that use iOS and Android OS unless you are purposely trying to skew the results for some secret anti-Apple agenda?

My point was correcting the OP. Is yours trying to make an argument when none existed?