New Apple hires suggest improvements coming to iOS Notification Center

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

trust me...there is denying...especially here.

I usually love reading your posts, but you didn't add anything of your thoughts here...

I could easily say that Google took the new ICS folder idea right from iOS. ...And I'm sure Android proponents would say that it was just an obvious solution.

Mind you, I like to see continued development on both fronts.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The funniest thing is that I often put my iPhone into Airplane Mode when I drive.

There is a much greater sense of calm knowing that I won't be interrupted for a certain time.

95%+ of my apps capable of notifying me have notifications turned off. I've removed alerts and sounds from most of the others, with only badges turned on.

There are only a handful of apps that have full alerts, sounds, badges, plus notification center presence and viewable in the lock screen.

You can whittle notifications to something not intrusive and manageable, but you need to be judicious about what you consider important.

Are you serious?

Do you drive with no music and have ADD so you have to look at your phone every time it beeps?

No offense, but it get plenty of "notifications" while I'm driving and the radio is up or I just don't hear it over the normal car noise. Some times I hear it and think "that will have to wait". ...Because I'm driving!

????? Really?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree with a recent article Gruber linked to about how the linen look should be only used at the back/bottom of a page, not for something that's coming over other pages.

Hi Sol!

How about when you have three screens and want an app "full screen" like in Lion? The other two beautiful screens go to linen.

IMHO I think they should let them display what was already there...

You're the first person I've seen say anything about this, other than me (cursing) when I full screen something!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Hi Sol!

How about when you have three screens and want an app "full screen" like in Lion? The other two beautiful screens go to linen.

IMHO I think they should let them display what was already there...

You're the first person I've seen say anything about this, other than me (cursing) when I full screen something!

I only use the one monitor so I haven't experienced that first hand but it sounds like a complete waste of screen real estate, a lowering of productivity, and a bug. I assume this has been submitted to Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

For all the flak given to Android, there is no denying that this was taken directly from Android.

The jailbreak community may have had this before Android and Apple hired that developer.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I usually love reading your posts, but you didn't add anything of your thoughts here...

I could easily say that Google took the new ICS folder idea right from iOS. ...And I'm sure Android proponents would say that it was just an obvious solution.

Mind you, I like to see continued development on both fronts.

They did. Obviously even. Even the auto shifting icons in folders is from iOS.

I'm a proponent of good ideas being shared/borrowed and differentiated/improved etc. Nothing exists in a void.

I bring it up here constantly because a lot of Apple proponents act like they honestly feel Apple exists in a void.

That is simply not true.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

My fiancee has an Android phone and hates the notifications. For some reason when the phone is locked and something happens...like I send a text or call her...it only sits in the status bar when she unlocks it rather than showing in a list right in front of her the moment she unlocks the phone. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that but she wishes she could see notices immediately rather than having to drag (unresponsively half the time) the status bar down to see what she missed. Most of the time I see her try at least 5 or 6 times to get that list to drag down. Kind of sad.

So, Apple got something right...whether Cupertino fired up the copy machine or not...it at least works.

Which Android phone is it?

I ask because 9/10 of the time anything lag related is on a 2 year old Android, or an Android that they got for free as a budget deal by Metro PCS or some garbage.

And high tier phone has no lag at all. Go into any carrier store and play around with them.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I love the drop down notification bar. Only Apple can create something as innovative as that.

Hoping you're being sarcastic.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

My fiancee has an Android phone and hates the notifications. For some reason when the phone is locked and something happens...like I send a text or call her...it only sits in the status bar when she unlocks it rather than showing in a list right in front of her the moment she unlocks the phone. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that but she wishes she could see notices immediately rather than having to drag (unresponsively half the time) the status bar down to see what she missed. Most of the time I see her try at least 5 or 6 times to get that list to drag down. Kind of sad.

So, Apple got something right...whether Cupertino fired up the copy machine or not...it at least works.

Are you sure she is not trying to avoid you? From your username, this sounds like an excuse you would not question. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

• Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Of all the things I've heard that allegedly lag to the point of unusability on Android the notification tray has never been one.

I think you're bullshitting. Had you said the homescreen I'd be inclined to agree.

Wow. Bullshitting? Why would I need to bullshit? Maybe it's where she's touching and is slightly missing it or maybe the input lag is particularly bad on this phone (see below) but of all the things you could say...bullshitting? Again, I ask why would I need to? Homescreen or status bar...what does it even matter? Either way it's unacceptable.

It's like I see you root for Android all day long and then you shoot it in the foot with its own gun by saying the homescreen (among all the other alleged lag issues...you said it not me) is unusable. Not a very good cheerleader. My iPhone 4S has no touch-input lag on any element other than maybe the app management screen in Settings when I ask that it shows all apps and has to think for literally a second to load the list. No bullshitting.

Also to MaroonMushroom who asked, it's a Sony Erikson Xperia phone. Not sure how that ranks compared to the millions of other lag-happy Android phones.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

Wow. Bullshitting? Why would I need to bullshit? Maybe it's where she's touching and is slightly missing it or maybe the input lag is particularly bad on this phone (see below) but of all the things you could say...bullshitting? Again, I ask why would I need to? Homescreen or status bar...what does it even matter? Either way it's unacceptable.

It's like I see you root for Android all day long and then you shoot it in the foot with its own gun by saying the homescreen (among all the other alleged lag issues...you said it not me) is unusable. Not a very good cheerleader. My iPhone 4S has no touch-input lag on any element other than maybe the app management screen in Settings when I ask that it shows all apps and has to think for literally a second to load the list. No bullshitting.

Also to MaroonMushroom who asked, it's a Sony Erikson Xperia phone. Not sure how that ranks compared to the millions of other lag-happy Android phones.

Hmmm never played with an xperia phone so benefit of the doubt and I'll apologize.

And I'm an Android fan but not a blind Android fan. There are phones that lag to the point of unusability. And all Android phones have some lag.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Hoping you're being sarcastic.

I thought it was obvious.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Hmmm never played with an xperia phone so benefit of the doubt and I'll apologize.

And I'm an Android fan but not a blind Android fan. There are phones that lag to the point of unusability. And all Android phones have some lag.

No big deal really. I just found your post rather surprising as if you thought you could call me out on some major mind-blowing lie. Like I said, maybe it's all in how and where she's touching the screen but either way the interface is far from fluid on that phone.