Steve Jobs refused to talk philanthropy with biographer

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

When people donate for charity they don't spend all their time being anonymous, because that's not the point of charity. If someone gets publicity for doing charity and if it encourages them to do more then it's good, because what's important is that they donated. I prefer someone donating and getting a lot of attention than someone not donating and being treated like an anonymous. When someone donates, people get to know. Because if you want to do something, when you have all that money, you find ways to spend your money in a good way.

...your generic "people" only counts for those whom you actually know do that. Having worked for a time for a trust management organization, I know for a simple fact that there are many, many wealthy people who have both public charitable giving AND private/anonymous charitable giving - the second of which is by far the larger of the two categories by the way. Public charitable giving is largely used to provide an example for others or to incentivize giving. BUt in terms of dollars it is the much smaller part of the charitable giving picture.

Interestingly, a survey some time ago demonstrated some very revealing facts about giving: by class, the wealthy/very rich and the poor were the best in terms of giving to others. The middle class was miserably bad at giving by comparison.
  • Reply 102 of 102
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    I expect most of the people who complain about this do not give to charity themselves.