'Avatar' special edition will feature iTunes Extras exclusive to Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has landed a major exclusive with the highest grossing movie of all time, as a special digital edition of "Avatar" is coming with new bonus features exclusive to iTunes.

"Avatar iTunes Extras Special Edition" will be available on iTunes beginning Tuesday, December 20. Twentieth Century Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment said in a press release on Friday that the new edition will feature "first-of-its-kind interactive features."

"Avatar" is currently available for preorder on iTunes at a price of $19.99 for the high-definition copy, and $14.99 for standard-definition. The new special features will let movie watchers "deconstruct some of the most memorable scenes to reveal how James Cameron applied special effects to create the breathtaking world of Pandora."

The new features will allow fans to control scene deconstructions in simultaneous views and interact with the performance capture and visual effects levels in 17 of the film's scenes. The new "Green Screen X-ray" feature will give users an interactive look at the visual effects, allowing them to see the original green screen footage used to create scenes in the movie.

"Digital platforms like iTunes usher in new ways to interact with and watch movies like Avatar," said Aubrey Freeborn, senior vice president of marketing and product management for Worldwide VOD and Electronic Sell-Through at Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "These new interactive features enhance the experience and encourage digital ownership."

The iTunes-exclusive edition of "Avatar" will also include an original screenplay from the director, Cameron, as well as a novella with some scenes broken out into dialogue. It will also include a gallery of 1,700 images.

In addition to generating nearly $2.8 billion in worldwide box office, "Avatar" is also the top-selling Blu-ray disc of all time. It was nominated for nine Academy Awards, and won three for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects and Best Art Direction.

iTunes Extras debuted with the launch of iTunes 9 in 2009, and are intended to allow digital movie sales to compete with traditional DVDs and Blu-rays, which often feature bonus content and behind-the-scenes footage in addition to the film. But iTunes Extras typically replicate the content found on physical discs, while the upcoming release of "Avatar" will feature new and exclusive interactive content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    to bad the iTunes Extra's don't work on the 2nd Generation AppleTV so pretty much useless...
  • Reply 2 of 42
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    This is smart. Apple needs something (lots of things) that are exclusive to their products if they want to fight off Android.

Not only that, but usually the digital download is missing all the extra stuff that you get on disk. Exclusive content might start to make up for the other stuff that consumers miss by not buying the Blu-ray.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Too bad the film's only strength is visual, the plot is the same as 1000 other movies. Maybe there should be en extra where dances with wolves has all the skin tones made blue?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The new special features will let movie watchers ... allow fans to control scene deconstructions in simultaneous views and interact with the performance capture and visual effects levels in 17 of the film's scenes. The new "Green Screen X-ray" feature will give users an interactive look at the visual effects, allowing them to see the original green screen footage used to create scenes in the movie.

"Digital platforms like iTunes usher in new ways to interact with and watch movies like Avatar," said Aubrey Freeborn, senior vice president of marketing and product management ... "These new interactive features enhance the experience and encourage digital ownership."

It has to be said that this is total bullshit.

This is almost word for word the same as the "new features" of DVD's when they came out. Multiple camera angles, layering, scene deconstruction, all this is currently possible with DVD's and yet at the same time actually isn't done at all because no one cares about this stuff.

Over all the years and multiple thousands of DVD's that I have owned, I have only seen one movie (an old David Bowie movie) that ever used multiple camera angles and alternate scenes. It's just a gimmick like 3D is a gimmick, but this is a gimmick that's rarely even used and seems to be of little interest to the public as well.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

Too bad the film's only strength is visual, the plot is the same as 1000 other movies. Maybe there should be en extra where dances with wolves has all the skin tones made blue?

Love it.

I have tried to watch this movie a bunch of times but it's so bad I just can't sit through it. I have never made it past the first reel of Dances with Wolves for the same reason.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Cool, you care so little about the movie that you took the time to read an article about it, log in, and then post a comment on said article.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

And what better way to way to experience a visual-only movie than in glorious 720p?

Still the reason I'm buying Blu-Rays.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    even though i rarely watch extras, i'll stick with blu ray
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is almost word for word the same as the "new features" of DVD's when they came out. Multiple camera angles, layering, scene deconstruction, all this is currently possible with DVD's and yet at the same time actually isn't done at all because no one cares about this stuff.

But people here will claim that Apple finally cracked it, and so they watch the gimmicks and love them. Hell, people here claimed that iAds were worth watching!
  • Reply 10 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Very funny. And the movie's only visual "strength" was the 3D, otherwise it's just an ugly blue-tinted movie. Even though it's supposed to be about machine worshippers against Nature, there's no green on Cameron's planet. The animals are all ugly, and so is the skinny-hipped "romantic interest." In 2D, it's a bunch of adolescent battle scenes with a doctrinaire anti-corporate, anti-American axe to grind.

I hate to be so negative, but releasing this in 2D is nothing to brag about. Maybe it's aimed at the anti-3D snobs, and those who have dodgy stereo vision, which turns out to be maybe 10% of the population. But then Cameron should have made a better 2D movie for them.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

to bad the iTunes Extra's don't work on the 2nd Generation AppleTV so pretty much useless...

Or the iPad. Then again if this sells well perhaps it will push a change in that situation
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I didn't know Avatar wasn't available in iTunes until now. Why the delay I wonder. Then again, I bet most fans have the 3 disc special edition already, so I doubt the iTunes release will be any interesting over that.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Funny that Steve said that Blu-Ray was a "big bag of hurt" because iTunes movie are a steaming pile of... well you know. Besides the fact that the bitrate is crap and the resolution isn't HD by any stretch, it's a completely worthless purchase/format. Blu-Rays look a million times better, the extras don't work on every media device Apple sells, and they aren't even HD. Why anyone would buy inferior quality film content they can't use across the Apple ecosystem is baffling. I'll keep using the "big bag of hurt" because it's superior in every single way to iTunes film content. Oh, and it's a damn shame that even Microsoft has true 1080p content on Xbox Live. Sure it's not on par with Blu-Ray, but it's MILES ahead of iTunes and will continue to be. Shame Apple is so damn bullheaded about Blu-Ray. If they'd offer it in a Mac mini I'd have bought two of them already. On for each 46" TV I have in my house, iTunes content looks like garbage on my tvs.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

...Why anyone would buy inferior quality film content they can't use across the Apple ecosystem is baffling.

Because (unfortunately), convenience trumps quality. I'm with you though, I thoroughly enjoy watching my movies using "bag of hurt" technology.

Quote:

If they'd offer it in a Mac mini I'd have bought two of them already...

Think about it, if you could watch Blu-ray movies on a Mac, then you'd have at your disposal a medium that would provide a direct comparison to iTunes HD movie content. With such an A/B comparison, I don't think they'd ever sell another iTunes HD title again. Especially when they want $19.99 for a 720p copy.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Avatar will not stand up to the test of time, such as the likes of Casablanca, Blade Runner, The Shawshank Redemption. I was yawning my head off for most of it, I only went because my sister worked for the company that did the graphics and dragged the whole family along.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    WOW. The George Lucas of the modern era.....James Cameron, milking every nickel he can get out of one movie, and you know what...he'll do it. Gotta hand it to him, smart business man. Then the next movie will come out and we will see multiple DVD, 3D, Blu-Ray, iTunes versions he and the distributors can possibly come up with. I bought into the "expanded" blu-ray version, so there ya go, and I haven't even watched it yet.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Why anyone would buy inferior quality film content they can't use across the Apple ecosystem is baffling.

I agree Blu Ray is superior to an iTunes download. But nevertheless I continue to buy/rent movies form iTunes because:

(1) It's more convenient

(2) I suspect 1080p is not the end of the story for movie res. Resolution will continue to increase over time, such as when the new 4k x 4k panels start coming out. Perhaps Apple will let me upgrade my movie collection for $1-$2 per file, like they did with songs (128kbit -> 256kbit for 99c), but with Blu Ray I would have to pay full price again.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    One of the worst movies of all time, from the trite "unobtanium" and the cliché of evil corporations and mindless military leaders down to the atrocious physics which are so bad that they could only exist in an alternate universe. Complete Hollywood schlock; no wonder it was so popular. I kept waiting for this exercise in mind-numbing boredom to end -- and this from a diehard fantasy and science fiction fan. Imprisoned in the movie theater, I think I felt something like Patrick McGoohan who was constantly dismissed in The Prisoner with "Be seeing you." Only in this movie it is "I see you." Ble e e e c c c h h!
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Then the next movie will come out and we will see multiple DVD, 3D, Blu-Ray, iTunes versions he and the distributors can possibly come up with.

So this would be a bad time to mention the 3D rerelease of Titanic?

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/titanic/
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Avatar" is currently available for preorder on iTunes at a price of $19.99 for the high-definition copy, and $14.99 for standard-definition.

oddly, i see only the $14.99 SD pre-order option...