NYT: Apple secretly working on wearable, Siri-compatible computers

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    That's why I believe Apple should get into auto NAV systems.



    What works in one environment does not necessarily work in another. Cars need their own user interfaces that are optimized for safety while operating the vehicle.



    The problem with this scenario is that it would force Apple to have to work closely with car manufacturers. Apple does not play well with others. Remember the Motorola ROKR?



    If I was Tim Cook...

    1) I would have Apple create an amazing in car NAV/Entertainment system.

    2) Demo the system to all the heads of the world's major automakers.

    3) Offer an exclusive contract with 1 American, 1 European and 1 Asian automaker.

    4) Hold an auction for the 3 exclusive contracts.

    5) PROFIT!



    Personally, I would like to see GM, BMW & Honda with Apple telematics.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Chances are, most people know that 'stuff' is bad for them - geeks included, but we are so wound up in our lives and dependent on it all, we cannot 'escape'. On a more optimistic front, I think a move towards sustainable 'life friendly' manufacturing will be made possible with 3D printing and what I call 'near organic' manufacturing. The issue will remain however, how to undo the pollution in our system today and the billions whose minds will deteriorate in the mean time. Can we detoxify the brain?



    Related, my latest blog posting...



    http://visionaforethought.wordpress....interestingly/



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


    Great.

    So the mercantile society of plastic gave us a huge spike in Alzheimer's disease (plastic degrades over time and frees neurotoxins in the air that kill your little fragile brain).

    So Wifi and Bluetooth expose our little fragile brains to electromagnetic waves that increase the rate of migraines.

    And Google/Apple's idea of progress is to add even more stuff, closer to us, more connected? I hope not.



    On the other hand, I recently observed that several products that were banned in my country for being known toxics (cancer inducing stuff) are still sold on the other side of the border. I wish the guys who knowingly keep selling them because "it has not been proven dangerous in this other country" could be tried for high treason against the people and executed in a very painful fashion.



    We have lost many, many geniuses and more normal "bright minds" to cancer and Alzheimer. How long will we keep this going?



  • Reply 43 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Not a big fan of IBM but this commercial seems well ahead of its time.



    The dramatized versions of these people are always so much more interesting/dynamic/non-parent's-basement-dwelling. This is what he looks like in real life:



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge0wb...eature=related



  • Reply 44 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    The problem with this scenario is that it would force Apple to have to work closely with car manufacturers. Apple does not play well with others. Remember the Motorola ROKR?



    If I was Tim Cook...

    1) I would have Apple create an amazing in car NAV/Entertainment system.

    2) Demo the system to all the heads of the world's major automakers.

    3) Offer an exclusive contract with 1 American, 1 European and 1 Asian automaker.

    4) Hold an auction for the 3 exclusive contracts.

    5) PROFIT!



    Personally, I would like to see GM, BMW & Honda with Apple telematics.



    source: yahoo finance, Business Insider.

    Ellis Hamburger, On Wednesday October 12, 2011, 10:14 am



    During our tour of BMW and MOG's impressive new car integration yesterday, the company let slip that it would love to implement Siri inside its vehicles.





    We couldn't get any more specifics about whether Siri voice controls were already in development, but the company expressed a great interest in making it happen.





    Apple and BMW have a long history of working together, starting with the first ever iPod car integration which dates back to 2004.





    When and if Apple makes Siri's API or functionality available to third parties, we'd expect BMW to be first in line.





    BMW also expressed interest in adding food-search apps to its BMW Apps repertoire such as Yelp and Foodspotting. The company couldn't confirm anything for us, but we'd expect these apps to get integrated sooner than Siri.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


    That's why if Apple made one, it'd be very basic and just do simple tasks- i.e. just reading notifications and using Siri to text. That's it.

    The trick is making the average non-dork to wear these. How can this be trendy without being a calculator watch. Are calculator watches more functional and useful than a normal watch? Sure. Are Bluetooth headsets more convenient than holding up a phone? Absolutely. But one you're a nerd, and one you're a douche. Like it or not, that's the stigma, and we have those in our (at least, American) culture. So the main thing is to overcome that. So I say less is more with the nano watch. Enough to make it useful and attractive, but not too much to make you a nerd (see- android)



    I think there are some other things that are tricky about Apple getting into the watch business.

    Apple makes "disposable" consumer electronics that are designed to last only 2-4 years.

    Good watches should last a lifetime(a decade at a minimum).



    Apple would need to make a product that is water and shock proof.

    Replaceable battery?

    Price?



    Could Apple partner with TAG Heuer, Breitling or Rolex and use their expertise and brand to create a product that could live up to the expectations?



    Or will the iWatch be another piece of "disposable" consumer electronics?
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    ....I can see the value of the wrist-watch type add-on computer discussed in some of these posts but even then all you are doing is moving it from your pocket to your wrist. One could just as easily take the phone out of one's pocket and talk directly to it.



    ....



    Autumn 2012 : Apple reinvents the watch: iWatch (human skin surface currents being used to transmit information to earphones. At that time, rumors already circulated that Apple was secretly working on a way to convey the audio information directly to the brain. Other rumors from sources (which insisted to remain unidentified) also speculated that Apple was working on the most secret project of its history (code name « Wozniak »), aiming at implementing a neuronal version of the iOS into the human brain (the only minor remaining technical difficulty being to implement into it a 5.1 encoded audio information).
  • Reply 47 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,614member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    What sucks is eventually we won't be able to buy a pair of underwear without signing a 2 year agreement with Verizon.



    Just wait until Facebook diversify and get into the underwear business. (3 years after they become a wireless carrier)
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Just wait until Facebook diversify and get into the underwear business. (3 years after they become a wireless carrier)



    "You've got [male genitalia]!" Wait, that's AOL. In 3 years FB will probably have bought them for the heck of it.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


    Great.

    So the mercantile society of plastic gave us a huge spike in Alzheimer's disease (plastic degrades over time and frees neurotoxins in the air that kill your little fragile brain).

    So Wifi and Bluetooth expose our little fragile brains to electromagnetic waves that increase the rate of migraines.

    And Google/Apple's idea of progress is to add even more stuff, closer to us, more connected? I hope not.



    On the other hand, I recently observed that several products that were banned in my country for being known toxics (cancer inducing stuff) are still sold on the other side of the border. I wish the guys who knowingly keep selling them because "it has not been proven dangerous in this other country" could be tried for high treason against the people and executed in a very painful fashion.



    We have lost many, many geniuses and more normal "bright minds" to cancer and Alzheimer. How long will we keep this going?



    Too funny



    give us more



    Pleeeeeeease!



  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    I think there are some other things that are tricky about Apple getting into the watch business.

    Apple makes "disposable" consumer electronics that are designed to last only 2-4 years.

    Good watches should last a lifetime(a decade at a minimum).



    Apple would need to make a product that is water and shock proof.

    Replaceable battery?

    Price?



    Could Apple partner with TAG Heuer, Breitling or Rolex and use their expertise and brand to create a product that could live up to the expectations?



    Or will the iWatch be another piece of "disposable" consumer electronics?



    Don't make them disposable! Make them collectable!!



    Make them fashionable. If Apple puts enough resources behind this, it's going to rock!
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Or not?
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Did anyone ever think about the fact that these might be the remotes for the iTv?
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRX1975 View Post


    Did anyone ever think about the fact that these might be the remotes for the iTv?



    For the record, I have no interest in a voice activated TV.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRX1975 View Post


    Did anyone ever think about the fact that these might be the remotes for the iTv?



    Did anyone ever think about the FACT that these might be the iTv?
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    Did anyone ever think about the FACT that these might be the iTv?



    I'm not talking to my TV. I'll talk to my house, absolutely, but not just my TV.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    The problem with this scenario is that it would force Apple to have to work closely with car manufacturers. Apple does not play well with others. Remember the Motorola ROKR?



    If I was Tim Cook...

    1) I would have Apple create an amazing in car NAV/Entertainment system.

    2) Demo the system to all the heads of the world's major automakers.

    3) Offer an exclusive contract with 1 American, 1 European and 1 Asian automaker.

    4) Hold an auction for the 3 exclusive contracts.

    5) PROFIT!



    Personally, I would like to see GM, BMW & Honda with Apple telematics.



    In another thread, someone proclaimed that this 7" touch screen apple was ordering up recently was a private deal to create an Apple UI in Volkswagen Car radios. Now he didn't sight a source to this info. But I know VW and Apple have been in talks for many years to work on something like this. Not to mention that my VW Golf's touchscreen radio projects the exact organizaitonal structure when I plug-in my ipod to it. No messing with the menus, it's all mirrored from your iPod.



    So I would not be at all surprised to see apple supplying Nav/Audio/Wireless equipment in future VW's.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post


    The 7" screen is for an infotainment system Apple is working on with the Volkswagen group. It will most likely debut in the 2013 Audi A3. Siri voice control, Apple's new maps. etc etc etc



    http://www.apple.com/ipod/car-integration/#vw



    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9768521-7.html



    http://www.intomobile.com/2007/09/02...diphone-docks/
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    In another thread, someone proclaimed that this 7" touch screen apple was ordering up recently was a private deal to create an Apple UI in Volkswagen Car radios. Now he didn't sight a source to this info. But I know VW and Apple have been in talks for many years to work on something like this. Not to mention that my VW Golf's touchscreen radio projects the exact organizaitonal structure when I plug-in my ipod to it. No messing with the menus, it's all mirrored from your iPod.



    So I would not be at all surprised to see apple supplying Nav/Audio/Wireless equipment in future VW's.





    http://www.apple.com/ipod/car-integration/#vw



    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9768521-7.html



    http://www.intomobile.com/2007/09/02...diphone-docks/



    Porsche owns 1/3 of Volkswagen and Volkswagen owns:

    -Audi

    -Bentley

    -Bugatti

    -Lamborghini

    -SEAT

    -Skoda

    -Volkswagen



    That would be a quick way to get Apple's kit in many premium brands.

    By having it launch initially in high end cars such as Lamborghini and Bentley, it will create desirability and the association with luxury.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This is precisely the sort of thing we need to know. Do people want computers that can be fitted nasally?
  • Reply 59 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    Porsche owns 1/3 of Volkswagen...



    Wikipedia states it's over 50% as of 2009.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post


    This is precisely the sort of thing we need to know. Do people want computers that can be fitted nasally?



    That's coming.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    We are the Borg! Resistance is Futile!
Sign In or Register to comment.