T-Mobile US network changes grant 3G access to some unlocked iPhone users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I don't get it. If you had an unlocked iPhone, why would you choose to use the one network on which you can't get any 3G coverage? Surely the number of iPhone users on T-Mobile U.S. is pretty much zero.

Actually, according to T-Mobile it is over a million users, myself being one. Unlike AT&T, T-Mobile doesn't require iPhone users to use data. So, I only use wi-fi. I use Navigon for GPS, so the maps are on the phone and no data plan is needed. If I wanted data, Edge isn't so bad for email and light web surfing. I save a lot of money not having to buy a data plan I don't need.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Why on earth would you splash out on a carrier-free iPhone if you don't want a data plan? Not having mobile data makes a large majority of its features useless when you're out and about...

Not really. Most businesses have free wi-fi (McDonalds, Wendy's, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods, etc). I have wifi at work.

As far as GPS goes, the GPS unit works without data. You just need a program like Navigon that stores the maps on the phone.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    $500?!

Surely it should just be a matter of walking into the carrier shop, getting a pay-as-you-go SIM card, and paying for calls as you go along and a few bucks extra each month for data? Quite economical unless you make loads of calls.

And how on earth do the carriers get away with mandating an expensive data plan? O2 here in the UK does require a data plan on standard iPhone contracts, but the cheapest data plan is £3/month.

What I love about my iPhone is ubiquitous access to data services. Having to find a wi-fi hotspot all the time would really spoil that for me!
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

I don't get it. If you had an unlocked iPhone, why would you choose to use the one network on which you can't get any 3G coverage? Surely the number of iPhone users on T-Mobile U.S. is pretty much zero.

There's a ton of us!

Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data on TMobile = $49 a month with no contract here in New York City. Coverage is great! Even if it's only Edge coverage though the switch to 3G will be welcomed, when/if it comes.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

IF he's naive enough or arrogant enough to believe that Apple is waiting on T-Mumble to do ANYTHING or decide ANYTHING, he's an idiot.

Why do you write this?

The article specifically stated that T-Mobile is waiting on Apple, not the

other way around as you seem to indicate...
  • Reply 26 of 32
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    AT&T's official policy forbids the use of an iPhone without a data plan. You can do it, but the terms allow them to unilaterally activate data if hey detect the iPhone. That also means they won't sell you a prepaid SIM.

I always buy unlocked phones, as it is cheaper over the 2 year contract life to just pay for it. It also gives me total flexibility when traveling,
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

AT&T's official policy forbids the use of an iPhone without a data plan.

Unless it's a 1st gen.

Quote:

I always buy unlocked phones, as it is cheaper over the 2 year contract life to just pay for it. It also gives me total flexibility when traveling,

But still doesn't let you use it on AT&T without data.
  • Reply 28 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Absolutely.

The AT&T's pay-as-you-go GoPhone SIM works just fine in my unlocked iPhone 4S.

I've been on plans with AT&T for over 10 years, using same SIM card. On same SIM card switched to $25 a month pay as you go (PAYG) ... can I buy the unlocked iphone 4s and still use it?? I really want the iphone and saved $1000 in a year since I didnt use a plan and figured I can now buy a iphone with what I saved switching to PAYG.

So can I use PAYG with an unlocked "iPhone 4s"?? I dont use the internet.. just TEXT and PHONE with WIFI is fine with me.

HELP!

• Reply 29 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="wantiphone4s" url="/t/138962/t-mobile-us-network-changes-grant-3g-access-to-some-unlocked-iphone-users#post_2134506"]On same SIM card switched to $25 a month pay as you go (PAYG) … can I buy the unlocked iPhone 4s and still use it??[/QUOTE]

No. They'll add the data. You'll have to pick a different carrier to do that.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Walmart has a $30 T-mobile plan. I wonder if that would work with an iPhone. I use Straight Talk $45 a month plan which is the best deal out there in my opinion but the Walmart/Tmobile $30 might be the cheapest way to run an iPhone month to month and have it be usable.

• Reply 31 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    trumptman wrote: »
    Walmart has a $30 T-mobile plan. I wonder if that would work with an iPhone. I use Straight Talk $45 a month plan which is the best deal out there in my opinion but the Walmart/Tmobile $30 might be the cheapest way to run an iPhone month to month and have it be usable.

That's actually what we're planning to do come the release of the sixth one. We need to make sure that we won't ever be charged for data, but unless Verizon lets us keep our existing plan when the next iPhone comes out, screw having been their customers for a decade; we're going to Wal-mart.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

That's actually what we're planning to do come the release of the sixth one. We need to make sure that we won't ever be charged for data, but unless Verizon lets us keep our existing plan when the next iPhone comes out, screw having been their customers for a decade; we're going to Wal-mart.

Those new shared data plans and the screws they are putting on people to move to them are pretty damn crazy aren't they? I was a Verizon customer for a decade as well but left due to their nickle and diming back with the mandatory feature phone data. I can't even imagine staying with a contract with them now with fees to upgrade lines, no new every two, and using just every thing short of pure dishonesty to get people to give up their unlimited data plans including requiring full purchase price of any upgraded phones while not reducing plan prices which include subsidizing equipment.