Nokia readies US Windows Phone launch with CES event on Jan. 9

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

It will be interesting to see how well the Windows phone does with Nokia doing the design. I have seen good and bad things said about the OS so it will be interesting to see what happens when it actually gets into consumers hands here. Has it gotten any traction where it has been on sale for this holiday season?

For me, I can't get past the asymmetry of the opening screen that I have seen screenshots of. There is just something about it that just bothers me to the point that I can't look at it very long. But that is just my impression of it.

Neal

I actually think the LACK of symmetry on the home screen is a good thing. It allows a lot of functionality to be added to the empty space. The empty space adds more "balance" to the home screen. I'm not sure how to explain it.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

All the best to Nokia! I hope the phones do well. The Metro layer of Windows 7 looks intriguing, if only because it is so different from the iOS interface.

Which is becoming rather boring after 5 years...

• Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Using that same, terribly incorrect image as that other guy? Why?

What, you want themes? Why would they change the layout (and thereby means through which interaction is facilitated)? You want analog clocks that take up the space of eight apps, get Android.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

WP7 is brilliant and not an iOS copycat but suggesting iOS boring is a silly claim. I don't want my OS to be an adenture game with each revision. I want core changes to be systematic and mild so the utility of the device isn't negatIvely affected each year. I want to know where my apps are and having instant, nearly unconscious access to them.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

the Lumina 800 looks really awesome. I wonder how it performs.

For me, not so good. A friend of mine got the Lumia 800 and asked me to set it up, sync it with his Outlook on his Dell desktop etcetera.

The box design is crap; I dropped the phone simply by opening the box. Nothing broke, so that's a +. Grabbed the phone, apparently pressed a button on the side and the flash light turned on. And stayed on. Stayed on after I shut down the phone. Stayed on after doing a reset (in software, on the phone). Stayed on after a cold boot reset. Now where's the battery latch when you need it? Thought everyone didn't like the iPods' non-removable battery. And later the iPhone, hmmpf.

Tried to sync it with Outlook, couldn't do that. Only way was to have a Hotmail or Live account, sync Outlook with that and then back to your phone. Why on earth the same company that creates Outlook and the phone software do not talk to each other, even with a cable, is beyond my comprehension. I love the cloud, but it has to be thought-out and implemented well, like Apple does.

And even if you sync it with Microsoft in the cloud, it still doesn't sync Outlook tasks, only Mail, Calendar and Contacts.

I dislike the text being cut-off, but didn't try the phone out long enough as it was getting a bit warm with that flash light on. Returned the same day. Yes Nokia, my unit was faulty. Yes Microsoft, would like to try out WP7, but if basic things are cumbersome or not possible I can only imagine that my basic request is in the minority. Or something; I cannot understand why it is so crap. At least, for me.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For me, not so good. A friend of mine got the Lumia 800 and asked me to set it up, sync it with his Outlook on his Dell desktop etcetera.

The box design is crap; I dropped the phone simply by opening the box. Nothing broke, so that's a +. Grabbed the phone, apparently pressed a button on the side and the flash light turned on. And stayed on. Stayed on after I shut down the phone. Stayed on after doing a reset (in software, on the phone). Stayed on after a cold boot reset. Now where's the battery latch when you need it? Thought everyone didn't like the iPods' non-removable battery. And later the iPhone, hmmpf.

Tried to sync it with Outlook, couldn't do that. Only way was to have a Hotmail or Live account, sync Outlook with that and then back to your phone. Why on earth the same company that creates Outlook and the phone software do not talk to each other, even with a cable, is beyond my comprehension. I love the cloud, but it has to be thought-out and implemented well, like Apple does.

And even if you sync it with Microsoft in the cloud, it still doesn't sync Outlook tasks, only Mail, Calendar and Contacts.

I dislike the text being cut-off, but didn't try the phone out long enough as it was getting a bit warm with that flash light on. Returned the same day. Yes Nokia, my unit was faulty. Yes Microsoft, would like to try out WP7, but if basic things are cumbersome or not possible I can only imagine that my basic request is in the minority. Or something; I cannot understand why it is so crap. At least, for me.

Didn't you say that you dropped the phone? You don't even know what you really broke and now you are blaming Nokia for their design, I thought you would be a bit smarter.

Just buy apple and eat it and do your ifart.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Yup, here it comes again. CES 2012. the biggest annual outpouring of BS in the world of consumer electronics. let the vaporware rain! let the hype pour!

you can check the popularity of Nokia lumia 800 on a retailer's website. Maybe they are lying but if they do then its true for Apple too. So chill... http://www.three.co.uk/
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

OK, can I just say again how FUGLY the UI is on these Windows phones? The first time I saw it I literally thought it must be a mistake. It looks like the fake plastic overlays they used to put on kids' LCD toys to simulate a screen image. Oh look...random blue rectangles of various sizes!

You don't seem to like it but others do...Your opinion is one of 7 billions. Here are few examples if lumia 800's popularity. http://www.expansys.com/top20/

http://www.three.co.uk/

http://www.expansys.com/top20/?f=1765

http://www.expansys.com.hk/top20/?f=1765

http://www.expansys.ie/top20/?f=1765

http://www.expansys.it/top20/?f=1765

Maybe all these ratings are just fake and who knows the reality. Why don't we wait and see how lumia does rather than bashing it from day one because we love apple?
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Yup, here it comes again. CES 2012. the biggest annual outpouring of BS in the world of consumer electronics. let the vaporware rain! let the hype pour!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I love CES because of that. It's a week long of trying to one-up unsubstantiated rumours about Apple with vapourware. It's gotten completely absurd.

Indeed. I find CES quite offensive, actually. This thread might as well be titled "Nokia readies some DOA p.o.c. to launch at Jan 9 Mad Hatter party"
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going... Oh wait, where is it going?