RIM turned down multiple takeover bids despite financial woes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post

Otherwise Apple will snap it up - and become the cell phone company of Amazon's worst nightmare.

Apple has no intention of becoming their own telecom. They'd have to buy bandwidth in every country on Earth.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

What the? Go down... "honorably"?

This is business, not Braveheart.

Agreed. There is no honor in flushing a company down the toilet. Honorable? That is the dumbest thing I've heard anyone say about the RIM CEOs. Their actions are downright disgraceful. The sad thing is all of us saw this coming years ago and commented on it. There is no excuse for this. These guys are just bad businessmen and anyone that thinks what they did was honorable ought not ever attempt to run a high tech business.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Agreed. There is no honor in flushing a company down the toilet. Honorable? That is the dumbest thing I've heard anyone say about the RIM CEOs. Their actions are downright disgraceful. The sad thing is all of us saw this coming years ago and commented on it. There is no excuse for this. These guys are just bad businessmen and anyone that thinks what they did was honorable ought not ever attempt to run a high tech business.

Notice that I didn't say it about the CEOs.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Must have been a nice truck.

LOL That made my night.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    "Amazon was smart not to get involved. It would be cheaper to develop their own phones, the way they did with their Kindles. Using outside expertise, they've made their job easier, and still maintain control."

yeah. cause the Fire's razor sharp software engineering is something to be sought. <sarcasm>

the Fire's capabilities may as well be that of a TracFone with a mirror and a rubber weiner attached to it. the only people who like it are ladies.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by triggs View Post

I Must Be Late to the Party. Why do we not like Amazon around here?

Of course you must. You are only a year (and 16 posts) old.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    FYI

In Canada, milk is sold in plastic bags.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Regardless of value, RIM can now announce another 5200 shipped!

Okay, I am now officially rolling on the friggin' ground laughing my goddamn ass off...
  • Reply 49 of 73
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Kudos to RIM for going down honorably.

?

Weren't they the ones that were rumored to be buying Apple in '96?

It would be easier to ask... Who **wasn't** rumored to buy AAPL back in those day...
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

RIM is now below book value, by a fair amount; $5 per share. If they were bought, the parts would be worth more than the company as one whole.

Should we start a collection?
  • Reply 51 of 73
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Are you trying to say that the stock price of the company went DOWN when the announced BAD news? How the heck does that work? Obviously they have different investors and analysts etc than AAPL because we all know based on watching Apple stock that the stock prices is supposed to go DOWN when you announce new successful products (that the analysts agree will be a failure) or when you announce record sales sand revenue.

What kind of mixed up world are we living in when the stock price of a company is actually based on real performance rather than speculation, rumor, and misguided analysts who just don't "get-it"?
  • Reply 52 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Are you trying to say that the stock price of the company went DOWN when the announced BAD news? How the heck does that work? Obviously they have different investors and analysts etc than AAPL because we all know based on watching Apple stock that the stock prices is supposed to go DOWN when you announce new successful products (that the analysts agree will be a failure) or when you announce record sales sand revenue.

What kind of mixed up world are we living in when the stock price of a company is actually based on real performance rather than speculation, rumor, and misguided analysts who just don't "get-it"?

It's no coincidence that the word 'anal' makes up their description.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    It may sound stupid but from a political angle it sounds good. Think of it now APPLE would totally convince the Government. Apple would buy RIM kill off the brand and built all the security features in the iPhone including BBM which who cares because apple has iChat. But It would be good for Apple then Android would just basically die. Buying Rim would get Apple more Government contracts. Its just a thought what does everybody think?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

You have to feel sorry for the (now) poor investors... don't you?

$69.86 February 15th 2011

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

\\/

$13.44 December 15th 2011

Hey my AAPL goes up and down that much weekly!
  • Reply 55 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stargatesg1 View Post

It may sound stupid but from a political angle it sounds good. Think of it now APPLE would totally convince the Government.

It would never get through. Ever.

Quote:

Apple would buy RIM kill off the brand and built all the security features in the iPhone

RIM's enterprise work is really the only thing Apple could ever want out of the company.

Quote:

including BBM which who cares because apple has iChat.

No, it would be shut down.

On that note, I can't wait until RIM actually goes under and BBM gets killed off. Tens of millions of people completely lost? and then they move to the ONLY alternative: iMessage.

Quote:

But It would be good for Apple then Android would just basically die.

This is so lacking in actual detail that it's laughable.

Quote:

Buying Rim would get Apple more Government contracts.

Well, government inquisitions?
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Tough, tough, tough! It's hard to see such a successful company in such dire straights. I feel for the employees and their families.

Nice sentiment. Hear hear.

Quote:

Can't help thinking back to when Steve introduced the iPhone 6 mo.'s before its release and the RIM engineers did not believe he was telling the truth about the iPhone's capabilities.

I have read that as well. But I have also heard from friends working at RIM that the story was exaggerated.

Quote:

How ironic, "Research In Motion!" their very namesake and they didn't do what Steve said...to be successful in tech u have innovate till ur 10 years ahead of everyone else.

Apple has been a consistent and impressive game changer. But even Apple has never been 10 years ahead of everyone else. Such hyperbole was part of Steve's RDF.

Quote:

7 years ago, I used to play tennis with the CEO of best western hotels and between games he would be checking his email on his BB and then he would get a phone call and it looked like he was holding a cheeseburger up to his ear! Ugh!

With all due respect, even the oldest BBs have never resembled a burger in size, shape or form.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It would never get through. Ever.

RIM's enterprise work is really the only thing Apple could ever want out of the company.

In theory, that makes sense, at least for other prospective buyers. Apple? Even with Jobs departed, we have yet to see them take a dedicated interest in the enterprise market. Their approach seems to be that, whatever is best for the consumer, will eventually infiltrate the enterprise.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Thieves Make Off With 5,200 PlayBooks, RIM Confirms

A group of thieves made off with a truck carrying about 5,200 BlackBerry PlayBooks in Canada last week, Research in Motion confirmed Tuesday. The semi-trailer headed for Ontario reportedly was carrying merchandise with a retail value of between $1.7 million and $5 million.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397881,00.asp

Have at er boys!

It was an inside job. That's the only way they could get full value after the insurance claim.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

It was an inside job. That's the only way they could get full value after the insurance claim.

You're saying it was a RiM job?

(Thank you! I've been waiting days to make that joke)
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course you must. You are only a year (and 16 posts) old.

True. I lurked for quite awhile before that, too. I just don't feel the need to comment very often. I see Amazon as a pretty capable consumer electronics company though. Not high-end like Apple, but not everyone needs to be. So I'm curious why so many here are hating on them.