Android device activations reach 700,000 per day

2456714

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 276
    I never understand the same argument that happens on here over and over again - Android sells more, iOS is more profitable... who cares! Unless you are a stock holder, there are enough users to go around and enough money to go around to keep all the companies healthy. Even RIM who is tanking right now is still profitable and has 75 million users. If you are an app developer, that is still a viable platform of users. All we should care about is that the companies are healthy enough to continue improving the hardware and software platform, and they have enough market share for developers to make apps. RIght now, that is the case for iOS, Android, and Blackberry.



    Do people get some sort of inflated self worth because the company of the phone they buy sells more units? Makes more profit? Has more market share? Who cares!!! It's just a phone! In 10 years you could be using something completely different. Unless you made the phone or profit from its success, why the constant fuss over who sells more or who makes more money?
  • Reply 22 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    So am I. This should cut the number of rubbish comments about Android on AI at least in half.







    Why wouldn't Apple announce numbers anymore? A respectable second place is nothing to be shy about, especially as long as it brings most of the profits.



    If these numbers are to be believed and sustainable, 700,000 per day would be 252,000,000 per year. Thats more than Apple has in total iOS devices as of October. If thats the case then Apple should not be the number one phone on any network, but they are. How ODD!
  • Reply 23 of 276
    Well that is good for Android, but from apples point of view they will be just about happy if they sell what ever they manufacture... WAIT.. they do that, even if the number of activation is not as high as Androids, Why should Apple care!!



    Usually once anyone gets an apple device he/she continues to use it until they feel a need to buy an upgraded iDevice. And Android is available across all segments of the smart phone market and if they did activate in such numbers it should be considered a big failure.
  • Reply 24 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post


    I don't see where the Mac is back. Under 10% or even worse 3-5% worldwide is not a number one can tout around as success.



    The Mac isn't gone either!



    Apple computers start at $999. While they sell fewer computers than the other guys... they do OK.



    Well... better than OK... but since they don't have the market share that Windows has... you think they failed.



    I'm fine with you always comparing Windows vs the Mac. It's cute.



    What if there are more than 2 players in the game?



    Ford, Chevy, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundia....



    Still one winner and a bunch of losers?
  • Reply 25 of 276
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post


    If these numbers are to be believed and sustainable, 700,000 per day would be 252,000,000 per year. Thats more than Apple has in total iOS devices as of October. If thats the case then Apple should not be the number one phone on any network, but they are. How ODD!



    That's if 700k was flat but they are increasing their activations steadily. It'll probably be more than 1 million activations per day around before next Summer. The rate of increase will drop but it will still increase rapidly for the foreseeable future as people dump their dumb phones for smarter phones and Android-based devices become the new entry level device.
  • Reply 26 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sophace View Post




    Do people get some sort of inflated self worth because the company of the phone they buy sells more units? Makes more profit? Has more market share? Who cares!!! It's just a phone! In 10 years you could be using something completely different. Unless you made the phone or profit from its success, why the constant fuss over who sells more or who makes more money?



    One thing to consider is that if a company doesn't sell enough units or make enough profit... they go out of business.



    That would affect the consumer directly.



    But you're right... none of these companies are going out of business tomorrow.
  • Reply 27 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Google has released profits for Android OS or did you just compare Apple's profit share of the entire world's handset market to Google's smartphone OS market share?





    PS: It still baffles that some people think it makes sense to compare an actual device to software that is given away. Who could possibly think that makes sense?



    ...Slappy?
  • Reply 28 of 276
    What exactly counts as an Android device? Does it include the Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Color?
  • Reply 29 of 276
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


    The Mac isn't gone either!



    Apple computers start at $999. While they sell fewer computers than the other guys... they do OK.



    Well... better than OK... but since they don't have the market share that Windows has... you think they failed.



    I'm fine with you always comparing Windows vs the Mac. It's cute.



    What if there are more than 2 players in the game?



    Ford, Chevy, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundia....



    Still one winner and a bunch of losers?



    He doesn't see where the Mac is back yet Apple take 1/3 of the world's 'PC' profits. If his theory about how businesses work was accurate then Apple would have never been able to survive past the 80s without licensing their OS.
  • Reply 30 of 276
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post


    If these numbers are to be believed and sustainable, 700,000 per day would be 252,000,000 per year. Thats more than Apple has in total iOS devices as of October. If thats the case then Apple should not be the number one phone on any network, but they are. How ODD!



    There's nothing odd about it. The number of phones on any network is a cumulative value, the activations per day is related to the rate by which this number is changing.



    Maybe I was too quick to make a statement about the effect of Rubin's clarification on the posts on AI...
  • Reply 31 of 276
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    Maybe I was too quick to make a statement about the effect of Rubin's clarification on the posts on AI...



    MacVicta askes "What exactly counts as an Android device? Does it include the Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Color?"



    Do these count for the activations? What about forked versions of Android in China?



    Those are fair questions.
  • Reply 32 of 276
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


    The Mac isn't gone either!



    Apple computers start at $999. While they sell fewer computers than the other guys... they do OK.



    Well... better than OK... but since they don't have the market share that Windows has... you think they failed.



    I'm fine with you always comparing Windows vs the Mac. It's cute.



    What if there are more than 2 players in the game?



    Ford, Chevy, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundia....



    Still one winner and a bunch of losers?



    Really I think you should ask the share holders of Apple's competitors or the CEOs if they think the mac is a failure. Lets see. HP and dell makes $89 on each computer they sell. While Apple makes $630. They have increased sales by 25% or more for 8 straight quarters, while the Windows computers are single digits or contracting. On the phones Apple sells everyone they can make and even when doing gradual roll outs demand outstrips the supply. The increase production considerably after each release but still can't keep up.



    On cars. GM was number one for years but ran in the red for years so the slow down destroyed them. Honda chose to limit expansion while Toyota chose to make the run for the top. Look what happened. Quality dropped and they are still trying to get out of the mess they got themselves into.
  • Reply 33 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post


    Just ask Apple with Macintosh vs Windows when Apple mad huge profits per product. What happened there? They lost. OSX and forced to switch to Intel chips to allow Windows to work on their hardware is what saved them. Yes Windows on a Mac. Pretty sad actually.



    It is pretty sad, you won't see it on my Mac (nor Office). But, whatever it takes to get someone to make the switch and actually find they can do without that Windows crutch. As far as processors, IBM dropped the ball, and it just shows how versatile OS X really is. Don't forget it has been ported to ARM successfully already too -- we'll see next year how well MS does with ARM.



    Ask Apple? Uh, let's just ask HP, who were on the verge of shutting down their consumer computing division. How about that? Uh, let's ask Gateway. Let's ask Acer, Dell, et al, who have stopped making netbooks to concentrate on the area where Apple is killing them, ultrabooks. And who have all but given up producing tablets because they can't compete. And what happened to Sony? I never hear about that has-been anymore.



    All those races to the bottom did nothing for all these guys, they are back to competing head to head with Apple, and Apple is more than holding its own. HP has said that Apple will overtake it in computer sales in the coming year because tablets ought to be counted. The sale of one iPad is far better than the sale of anyone else's netbook or notebook. The iPad also feeds into the best ecosystem in the industry.



    And let's ask MS who are increasingly marginalized because they can't get into the new mobile era: we'll be waiting a year to see if they have gotten it right this time, meanwhile, Apple moves on and has been Apple making more revenue and profit now for the last year or so. A recent article states that The App Store alone is worth what the whole of RIM is worth. MS are going to have to concentrate on backroom IT shops and stop thinking they can appeal to consumers. Jobs did concede a couple of battles "back in the day", but the "war" is far from over. MS also has to face what happens when the current large crop of student Mac users moves into the workforce.
  • Reply 34 of 276
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post


    I can prove it easily. Windows vs Apple. Windows won.

    Android vs iOS. This latest announcement with activations proves my point. Android, Google won.



    Yep.. this is an excellent proof. Just look how successful and profitable Dell and HP PC businesses are with their lead in marketshare!
  • Reply 35 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post


    Really I think you should ask the share holders of Apple's competitors or the CEOs if they think the mac is a failure. Lets see. HP and dell makes $89 on each computer they sell. While Apple makes $630. They have increased sales by 25% or more for 8 straight quarters, while the Windows computers are single digits or contracting. On the phones Apple sells everyone they can make and even when doing gradual roll outs demand outstrips the supply. The increase production considerably after each release but still can't keep up.



    On cars. GM was number one for years but ran in the red for years so the slow down destroyed them. Honda chose to limit expansion while Toyota chose to make the run for the top. Look what happened. Quality dropped and they are still trying to get out of the mess they got themselves into.



    I think this is what you're referring to. Good read!



    A Consequence of Losing the PC Wars - http://www.mattrichman.net/post/6844...ng-the-pc-wars
  • Reply 36 of 276
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    There's nothing odd about it. The number of phones on any network is a cumulative value, the activations per day is related to the rate by which this number is changing.



    Maybe I was too quick to make a statement about the effect of Rubin's clarification on the posts on AI...



    I just saying that each of the major carriers and other sources are proclaiming the iPhone is the top selling phone by manufacturer. 1. If they are activating 2-3 times as many phones you would think the android phones would be the ones on top. And that means that by this time next year there would be twice as many total androids compared to total iPhones. Of course they do come out with a new phone every other month so there may be a quick upgrade cycle to get the latest software updates.
  • Reply 37 of 276
    Just because it's almost impossible to substantiate his declaration, he just randomly crunches numbers whenever he has episodes of wet dreams.



    With his 700K activations per day pronouncement, he doesn't have to do a Sandusky. Young boys will freely come to him. But wait....how much does he and Google earn from these activations? Now...young boys will have to think twice to hit this ugly clown.



  • Reply 38 of 276
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    MacVicta askes "What exactly counts as an Android device? Does it include the Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Color?"



    Do these count for the activations? What about forked versions of Android in China?



    Those are fair questions.



    They are fair, indeed. If I had to answer them, I could only offer my best guess, based on what I've repeatedly read on the Internet: Only devices that have the Google market count. So no, Kindle Fire and forked Chinese Android don't get counted -- not just in the sense "we don't report those numbers", but rather "we don't get these numbers in, we have no idea how much they are, and we don't include them in the 700 000 activations per day".



    When you activate an Android device you go through a specific discrete step where you connect to Google's servers and get your account activated. On a side note, I know a lot of people with decent mid-range Android phones, who use them as feature phones and have never registered with Google or activated the device.
  • Reply 39 of 276
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post


    I just saying that each of the major carriers and other sources are proclaiming the iPhone is the top selling phone by manufacturer. 1. If they are activating 2-3 times as many phones you would think the android phones would be the ones on top.



    Yes, Android phones counted together are the ones on top, but if you break them by model, the sheer number of Android models makes it impossible for a single one to stand out. I believe only the Samsung Galaxy series has a large enough share to be worth mentioning separately. To add to the confusion, US carriers give different names on what is essentially the same model phone, and those sometimes get counted separately.
  • Reply 40 of 276
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    They are fair, indeed. If I had to answer them, I could only offer my best guess, based on what I've repeatedly read on the Internet: Only devices that have the Google market count. So no, Kindle Fire and forked Chinese Android don't get counted -- not just in the sense "we don't report those numbers", but rather "we don't get these numbers in, we have no idea how much they are, and we don't include them in the 700 000 activations per day".



    When you activate an Android device you go through a specific discrete step where you connect to Google's servers and get your account activated. On a side note, I know a lot of people with decent mid-range Android phones, who use them as feature phones and have never registered with Google or activated the device.



    That sounds reasonable.



    Here's another question: Does Schmidt mean an average per day or simply that on a day or a couple days they hit 700k? This is typically expressed to mean for each day to express rate but without a time frame qualifier it's still fishy. Here's what Jobs said during a previous conference call.
    Quote:

    "What about Google? Eric Schmidt said they're activating 200,000 devices per day and 90,000 apps in their store. Apple activating 275,000 iOS devices a day on average for the last 30 days with a peak of 300,000 per day on some of those.



    There is nothing ambiguous about Steve Jobs's comments. He's qualified every aspect to refer to the mean average.
Sign In or Register to comment.