Apple looking to expand iCloud with new applications

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Apple should buy DropBox immediately.

They tried.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowhide View Post

i agree. Gallery and idisk are a must have for the icloud!

yes!
  • Reply 23 of 58
    ...a dropbox clone?

It already does this but in an unsupported way.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Isn't it ironic that Steve Jobs on-paper wouldn't be qualified to get a job at Apple?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

iCloud.com offers very few features, and the email is excruciatingly slow, ugh!

Yeah, the iCloud.com UI, although pretty, wasn't built for speed; which it should have been.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    iDisk/mobileme sucked, it was slower than hell, when it decided to work at all.

iCloud has a couple of cool concepts like photo stream, Find my iPhone and iTunes match.

None of it is even close to the ease of use of Drop Box

With wireless back-ups/updates, photo stream, and dropbox I never have to connect my phone to my computer again.

For being into the whole cloud concept for as long s they have Apples waaaay behind the curve where usability is concerned.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Isn't it ironic that Steve Jobs on-paper wouldn't be qualified to get a job at Apple?

On paper his credentials are great. What you mean to say is that he couldn't get this iCloud position because he doesn't have a bachelors degree in computer science, but Jobs wouldn't go for such a position anyway so it's moot.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They tried.

Throw more money at them.

Seriously, do whatever it takes. I have MM and its a very so so service IME. I like the interface and the features offered in MM. Like you, I really would like an iDisk replacement. AccountEdge software has a hook into MM and allows you to back up to iDisk automagically when you close the app which is really nice. I'm really going to miss that feature.

But the MM in general lacks polish. iDisk can be frustratingly slow at times and occasionally, more than it should, web mail will not autofill a recipients info from your contacts. That doesn't occur all the time but seems to happen much more so than with Hotmail.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    From what I can tell it takes 1.07MB to just to load the sign on screen for iCloud and then 3.38MB to load the Mail app in iCloud. That's excessive. The way the site looks and works is nice but not at the expense of usability.

How many of us are using this site? I've only used it for Find My iDevice access and for a short round of Kill Your Address Book when iCloud was getting wonky with my contact syncing.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm still using iDisk and would have a hard time living without it... During the semester I use it every single day. Plz Apple bring it on board.

Documents - Can hardly wait for OSX support.

Backup is awesome. I restore my phone and iPad just for the fun of it now.

Photostream is cool. I'm glad you can now delete photos.

iTunes in the cloud is awesome... Sometimes I'll have the occasional hiccup though.

I rarely use find my friends and find my phone, but they are nice to have.

Contacts, Calendar, and mail are fantastic - Sometimes mail acts a little funky. Overall I love it though.

Apple, if you can make iCloud even better, go for it.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

iDisk/mobileme sucked, it was slower than hell, when it decided to work at all.

iCloud has a couple of cool concepts like photo stream, Find my iPhone and iTunes match.

None of it is even close to the ease of use of Drop Box

With wireless back-ups/updates, photo stream, and dropbox I never have to connect my phone to my computer again.

For being into the whole cloud concept for as long s they have Apples waaaay behind the curve where usability is concerned.

That's too bad. My experience is the exact opposite. iDisk is my life. I once tried streaming a video I had uploaded to Dropbox and it literally gave me fits.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm still using iDisk and would have a hard time living without it...

Are you sure about that? Have you tried alternatives?

iDisk's transfer speeds has always been slow but it's also very limited in scope compared to modern solutions. I used Dropbox for school because it was better. It syncs between machines automatically, it syncs fast by only updating the changes, and there are versions and deleted files that can be accessed for 30 days with a free account.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you sure about that? Have you tried alternatives?

iDisk's transfer speeds has always been slow but it's also very limited in scope compared to modern solutions. I used Dropbox for school because it was better. It syncs between machines automatically, it syncs fast by only updating the changes, and there are versions and deleted files that can be accessed for 30 days with a free account.

I tried Dropbox because everyone I know uses and loves it. But I saw no advantage over idisk(perhaps I didn't look hard enough). Though that deleted file recovery sounds cool.

With iDisk I just drag a file from my Mac and drop it in the finder window. When I get to school and pull out my iPhone or iPad, it's there. I upload software so that friends and family can later download. About a month ago I uploaded MS office for my buddy. I initially tried Dropbox, but I guess the free account couldn't handle the file size.

I'll check it out again. Everyone I know swears by it.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

I tried Dropbox because everyone I know uses and loves it. But I saw no advantage over idisk(perhaps I didn't look hard enough). Though that deleted file recovery sounds cool.

With iDisk I just drag a file from my Mac and drop it in the finder window. When I get to school and pull out my iPhone or iPad, it's there. I upload software so that friends and family can later download. About a month ago I uploaded MS office for my buddy. I initially tried Dropbox, but I guess the free account couldn't handle the file size.

You get 2GB(?) with the free account which is less than iDisk but I assume, like me, your school files are mostly notes you're taking. You really can't lose anything or make a mistake with a Dropbox file. That's why I loved it for school.

As for apps, I seem to recall you give a password to friend and family to access files with iDisk. With Dropbox you just share a folder with whomever and you can create as many folders as you wish. This is also handy it you want to share the same file with multiple people in different folders. Once you've uploaded it you can then copy to the other folders. Your Mac will take up the space as with any copy but Dropbox's servers will know they have it and will automatically add it to and then sync to the other people's folders nearly instantly. With iDisk you are doing multiple uploads because it's not intelligent enough to know better.

I'd give it or SugarSync another try. Those safety nets and syncing time savers can be a real benefit.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

Yeah, the iCloud.com UI, although pretty, wasn't built for speed; which it should have been.

If you click on things too fast it shows you an "iCloud has unexpectedly crashed" message, but then mostly keeps going too which is bizarre behaviour at best. At least one time out of every four or five I access it, it just spins and spins and never loads also. It really has that 1.0 or possibly even beta feel to it.

The thing I find funny is that MobileMe, while also slow, was faster than iCloud and slightly more reliable, and .Mac which proceeded that was very fast and much more reliable than either.

Possibly it's just the load of all the millions of folks using it, but it's just crazy how it keeps getting worse with each iteration. It's just bizarre how crazy bad their email product is.

If I hadn't got eight years or so invested in that email address and if there was a decent alternative, (GMail hater here), I'd quit it tomorrow and I'm a huge Apple fan and have dutifully paid them much money over the years for the service.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

I don't like their security model. The idea that when I upload a file it goes and checks to see if anyone else uploaded the same file and if so gives me access to that file instead of my own is just weird. It seems like a bad idea IMO.

Part of the problem with comparing services like this is that they are global service but yet operate differently in different countries too. For me iDisk has never been fast enough to even be useable, but from what I hear from my American friends, in California it runs like a rocket.

Comparing the services based on single points of anecdotal evidence from users located in different areas is basically a waste of time. The trouble is though there are few if any objective measurements of quality in this area.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

You get 2GB(?) with the free account which is less than iDisk but I assume, like me, your school files are mostly notes you're taking. You really can't lose anything or make a mistake with a Dropbox file. That's why I loved it for school.

As for apps, I seem to recall you give a password to friend and family to access files with iDisk. With Dropbox you just share a folder with whomever and you can create as many folders as you wish. This is also handy it you want to share the same file with multiple people in different folders. Once you've uploaded it you can then copy to the other folders. Your Mac will take up the space as with any copy but Dropbox's servers will know they have it and will automatically add it to and then sync to the other people's folders nearly instantly. With iDisk you are doing multiple uploads because it's not intelligent enough to know better.

I'd give it or SugarSync another try. Those safety nets and syncing time savers can be a real benefit.

I have 20 GB with iDisk(which means I now have 25 GB with iCloud). And I think iDisk used to require a password when sharing, now you just email them the download link.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

From what I can tell it takes 1.07MB to just to load the sign on screen for iCloud and then 3.38MB to load the Mail app in iCloud. That's excessive. The way the site looks and works is nice but not at the expense of usability.

How many of us are using this site? I've only used it for Find My iDevice access and for a short round of Kill Your Address Book when iCloud was getting wonky with my contact syncing.

I've not migrated from MM to iCloud yet and I'm going to wait to see if they make changes to improve usability.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

Quote:

On paper his credentials are great. What you mean to say is that he couldn't get this iCloud position because he doesn't have a bachelors degree in computer science, but Jobs wouldn't go for such a position anyway so it's moot.

Just because they publish minimum requirements -- doesn't mean they can't be waived!

Things like this happen all the time.

When we applied for an Apple dealership in 1978, Apple had a minimum requirement that you had to have at least $125,000 in funding available.

We had $60,000 cash to invest ($20,000 from each of the 3 principals).

Apple was firm... they wouldn't approve us unless we came up with additional funding or has someone cosign for the difference.

Jim and I were both employed at IBM with good Salaries and and 14+ years of employment -- Mark had managed a computer store for 5 months.

I figured that Jim and I each made much more than the Apple people interviewing us -- and even those who would need to approve our application.

I explained this to the Apple rep and asked if Jim and I could cosign for ourselves...

The rep ran it by the responsible executive and came back a few moments later, saying that this would be OK.

So, for the first (and only) time in my life I cosigned for myself.

What was ironic is that Apple was so backlogged, they couldn't ship any meaningful quantity of Apple ][s (their only product) for 6 months.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Three things which I would die for:

1) Keychain syncing (So annoying registering for a site on my iMac, then needing to remember a ridiculously long password on my MacBook Air, then perhaps a week later needing once again to remember it for my iPhone...)

2) "Save to iCloud" option on iWork, just hit Cmd+S and press the iCloud icon and bam, it saves. Also opening documents from iCloud would be great

3) Multiuser iCloud iDisk - would be great for sharing files from school across an internal network that could easily be connected to an outside computer

I'd also add iTunes Music (being able to stream music you own from the browser and manage it into playlists etc), iWeb hosting, Photo Stream editing etc