Apple's iPad has 84% satisfaction rating, 17% of users install 80+ apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

84%? What's wrong with the rest 16%? Why spend $500+ on something you don't even need, and be unhappy with it?

Not everybody is born with equal intelligence.

And if somebody is unhappy with whatever they bought, then they should sell it. Second hand iPads fetch a decent price and are real easy to get rid of.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What idiotic comment will Slappy say to this I wonder?

Why are you interested?

He's got you. You are now his.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

It's just math.

Assuming a sample size of 52 (the number of people surveyed), random selection, and a hypothetical population of 10M users, the margin for error is +/- 14%.

You need a sample size of about 1,100 respondents to get a margin of +/- 3%.

If you "added 3 zeros" to the sample size you may or may not get different results, but you would get a much smaller margin of error. You wouldn't, though, need a sample anywhere near as large as 52,000 to get that outcome.

Even with a margin of error of +/- 14%, that means that anywhere from 70% - 98% of all iPad users are satisfied.

I agree that a bigger sampling size than 52 would be useful, but even the big outlets like Gallup usually don't poll more than 1000 people, as it wouldn't be very cost effective, since a +/- 3% margin is good enough.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:

Also, the margins can and have been proven. You can count out populations of M&Ms, colored beans, etc., draw them out randomly, and hit the margin of error for the measured populations more than 90% of the time.

Only 90% of the time??!!

So there is a chance that I could poll 52,000 people and get a margin of error of ±3%...

I'm just shittin' with you...
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

84%? What's wrong with the rest 16%? Why spend $500+ on something you don't even need, and be unhappy with it?

Because crystal balls are not easy to come by.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Of those 80 apps, how many are paid? I have 100's of apps downloaded but only a handful are paid apps. Plus side for me, many free apps satisfy what I need downside for developers, I do not buy many apps.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

It's just math.

Assuming a sample size of 52 (the number of people surveyed), random selection, and a hypothetical population of 10M users, the margin for error is +/- 14%.

You need a sample size of about 1,100 respondents to get a margin of +/- 3%.

If you "added 3 zeros" to the sample size you may or may not get different results, but you would get a much smaller margin of error. You wouldn't, though, need a sample anywhere near as large as 52,000 to get that outcome.

52 humans is way too many. I just need one for example - me. Last time i checked i was very satisfied.

We can go through with all the mambo jambo, but it doesn't take a genius to figure that people like their iPads.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

21 percent use their iPad in the bathroom. Now that is suspect and probably a joke answer.

Still, if the survey is ±3%, it does bode well for the iPad. I may get the iPad 3 when it comes out, though the MBA 13 would be more practical, possibly.

I just might be in the bathroom right now responding to this post????
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Wait...

52 respondents x 83.65% satisfied = ~43.50

Last time I checked, human beings came in whole number

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new study from the Software Usability Research Laboratory was highlighted on Thursday by Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. The study, entitled iPad Usage Patterns On-the-Go and at Work, polled 52 respondents ranging in age from 23 to 80 on a 75-item survey.

The survey found that 83.65 percent of respondents were satisfied with the iPad, while 62 percent ranked Apple's device as "excellent," 10 percent said "best imaginable," and 21 percent said "good."

• Reply 31 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manojonline123 View Post

Wait...

52 respondents x 83.65% satisfied = ~43.50

Last time I checked, human beings came in whole number

Some of the trolls we get here would rate as a whole person ...
  • Reply 32 of 43
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Some of the trolls we get here would rate as a whole person ...

That makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    I think the survey tells us what we already knew - that most people are very happy with their iPads. I can tell that by watching people I know use them.

I think the statistical discussion was a bit misguided. For each of the statistics there is an unkown true value and a calculated value, which is published here. The question is 'how near to the true value is the calculated value?' and statistics enables us to make statements like 'there is a 95% chance that the calculated value is within 5% of the unknown true value' or 'there is a 60% chance that it is within 3% of the true value'. We are dealing with a Gaussian distribution of calculated values around the unknown true value, and the Gaussian distribution goes off to infinity, so there is a small chance that the sample error is greater. Saying it is 'within ± 3%' is just too simplistic. Is that with 95% confidence or 60% confidence? Of course the larger the sample size the better the chance of making more accurate estimates.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennyL View Post

I think the survey tells us what we already knew - that most people are very happy with their iPads. I can tell that by watching people I know use them.

I think the statistical discussion was a bit misguided. For each of the statistics there is an unkown true value and a calculated value, which is published here. The question is 'how near to the true value is the calculated value?' and statistics enables us to make statements like 'there is a 95% chance that the calculated value is within 5% of the unknown true value' or 'there is a 60% chance that it is within 3% of the true value'. We are dealing with a Gaussian distribution of calculated values around the unknown true value, and the Gaussian distribution goes off to infinity, so there is a small chance that the sample error is greater. Saying it is 'within ± 3%' is just too simplistic. Is that with 95% confidence or 60% confidence? Of course the larger the sample size the better the chance of making more accurate estimates.

The question in my mind...

Have the statisticians ever been way off course?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I understand the high satisfaction rating, but the percent of users with more than 80 apps seems low. How does one NOT end up with at least 80 apps on an iPad? If you asked me before I read this post, I'd have guessed that I had maybe 40 apps on my iPad. I actually have 124, and I'm not a heavy user of my iPad at all.

I wonder how many apps the average iPhone owner has on their iPhone?

EDIT: oh sheesh. I missed the fact that they barely even had 50 respondents in this poll. That's nowhere near enough to get an accurate measurement. Talk about a tiny sample!
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

I just might be in the bathroom right now responding to this post????

Too funny!!
  • Reply 37 of 43
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I use my iPad in the bathroom all the time!

...do you iPoo?
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The question in my mind...

Have the statisticians ever been way off course?

Yep, 1 time in 20 tests.

Cheers
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

...do you iPoo?

I iPoo then I iWipe. I use mine in the bathroom all the time. Especially if I am really into reading something. Bonus is that it is bigger than my phone and less likely for me to drop it into the bowl
  • Reply 40 of 43
    The survey found that 83.65 percent of respondents were satisfied with the iPad, while 62 percent ranked Apple's device as "excellent," 10 percent said "best imaginable," and 21 percent said "good.?

62% excellent + 10% best imaginable + 21% good = 93%, not 83.65%.