Apple television said to run on customized chips like iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Truly, Neil and Co. need to implement a DigiTimes disclaimer statement (of course this would apply to Shaw Wu and the rest of the marginalized prognosticators) stating that DigiTimes has not yet successfully predicted with any degree of accuracy what Apple is likely to do.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    I still think AppleTv will have to have coax for over the air... I'm not wasting bandwith on local channels that I can get for free. I also think AppleTv needs to address audio. If we're trying to get rid of all the cords (which we don't really know is a goal), we can't look past the rat's nest that's behind everyone's receiver.

I have three TV's, and I'm down to an AppleTV box and cable box at each one. Only one has good audio though, because I have a receiver set up. I want good audio at all of them.

As far as size, my largest screen is 46", and I wish it was a 40" or 42". I know I'm going to piss off a lot of people saying this, but those giant screens are tacky.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I still think AppleTv will have to have coax for over the air... I'm not wasting bandwith on local channels that I can get for free. I also think AppleTv needs to address audio. If we're trying to get rid of all the cords (which we don't really know is a goal), we can't look past the rat's nest that's behind everyone's receiver.

I have three TV's, and I'm down to an AppleTV box and cable box at each one. Only one has good audio though, because I have a receiver set up. I want good audio at all of them.

Airplay speakers already work with Apple TV.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for content, analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said earlier Wednesday that Apple is hoping to offer Internet-based content subscriptions that will allow customers to choose their own custom channel lineups, offering an experience very different from current cable and satellite plans.

It will be like a big iPod Touch. Without a touch screen.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I also just want to have a single HDMI cable going to my TV from an equipment rack. If you really push me, I might go with an ethernet cable and a serial cable as well... but that is it. At the current rate, I'll end up with something like a Myth TV box, but that is a little more work than I am really interested in.

There will be no HDMI cable connected to the Apple TV. No ethernet. No serial cable. No equipment rack.

It will be self contained with no inputs or outputs, except wireless connections.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

THis will be interesting for sure. I just worry they will make them large enough. Many like me with 50 -60 inch screens are not going down in size for the main living room, in fact I'd love to go up in size. I have not recovered since seeing the Sharp 80 inch in Sam's Club just before Christmas

unless you only watch blu-ray on those huge screens the quality of the picture drops a lot after 47" or so. HD content looks OK depending on the channel. SD looks like crap.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

I don't care if the TVs have custom chips that can change diapers and compliment your shoes. In a market where a 42" set is already considered small, if Apple is really going to introduce HDTVs that are only 32" and 37", we're looking at a major FAIL. Just who do they expect will buy them? Midgets?

second and third TV's are this size. why pay for extra cable boxes if apple will supply the content for you?
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

What do you think will set the proposed Apple TV apart software- and content-wise? How does the extension of iTunes Match to videos sound (similar to UltraViolet but done the Apple way, e.g. one simple set of rules with no exceptions)?

It will run on iOS. All content will be either streamed from another Apple device or preferably, purchased from Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple actually wants to sell units of whatever their solution for broadcast television is, they'd make the actual device something that requires as little upheaval as possible.

Broadcast television will be replaced by subscriptions from iTunes. It will be a compete and total upheaval. All the current boxes and disks and wires and cables and crap will be discarded in favor of a simple stand-alone solution.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:

It will have one of those fake surround sound speaker bars built in, which will be plenty enough for most people.

Additionally, it will have a proprietary ability to beam sound wirelessly to standalone speakers made by third parties and licensed by Apple.

You will be able to buy rear speakers that have built-in amplifiers, a subwoofer, etc. Apple will male a fortune from the licensing fees alone.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I hoper for an A6 quod core ARM15.

The genius with ARM is that it is not much more expensive to use the fastest SoC then the cheaper ones. A quod core ARM15 at 2.5 ghz would compete with almost all normal desktop Intels in speed.

This would mean that the AppleTV would have built in the fastest video games console in the world.

*i want*

You're hallucinating. A quad core ARM15 at 2.5 GHz (which is mythical - and may never exist, for that matter) wouldn't come close to an i5 or i7, much less a high end Xeon chip.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it really custom if tens of millions of them are made? I think there has to be a lot of "off the shelf" chips that aren't made in those quantities.

It's the design that is custom.

They are custom because they aren't "off the shelf." It doesn't matter how many Apple buys, ten or tens of millions.

As long as they are exclusive to Apple and no one else can have them, they remain custom regardless of the quantity produced.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

This is a real issue. Tech companies are researching, developing and bringing too market great technologies and the ISPs are killing it. On my COMCAST I have 250GB a month which used to be unlimited. 250GB a month right now sounds like enough but what happens as technology grows? Seems to me the ISPs are clamping down inorder to "release" their own products which we all know will not compare.

I have no issue with data caps, but I object to the additional charges if you go over.

It costs ISP's about 1c per 1Gb of incremental data. If they charge that, I'll pay it.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If they are made specifically for Apple then they are custom chips. Which makes this article pointless since the AppleTV already uses the custom A4 SoC/PoP.

Maybe proprietary, still not sold on custom.

Quote:

I don't know if that's a worthwhile goal with technologies available or in the near future and have actual speakers away from the TV. You'll still need to deliver power to the speakers. So it's either a power cord or speaker cord to each speaker, or an even more awkward battery. I have in-wall speaker cord runs to a terminal plate that's almost right where the speaker was placed. I don't go behind my receiver so I'm not bothered with the wires. A few zip-ties or a cable organizer channel can do a lot.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I have no issue with data caps, but I object to the additional charges if you go over.

It costs ISP's about 1c per 1Gb of incremental data. If they charge that, I'll pay it.

So you're okay if they cut off/cap your data, but not okay if they give you an option to buy more? I'm okay with reasonable caps and additional charges, it's throttling I don't want.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe proprietary, still not sold on custom.

custom - made or done to order for a particular customer

customized - modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task

I think the words fit exactly. I think limited is the word that shouldn't be used because there is no defined cut off like there is with limited edition products even though everything tangible in technically limited.

edit:

Proprietary - ARM Cortex-X9 reference designs

Custom - PC made from various off-the-shelf, mostly proprietary parts.

Proprietary & Custom - Apple's A5 SoC/PoP
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

I don't care if the TVs have custom chips that can change diapers and compliment your shoes. In a market where a 42" set is already considered small, if Apple is really going to introduce HDTVs that are only 32" and 37", we're looking at a major FAIL. Just who do they expect will buy them? Midgets?

Hmmm...apple is big into Design. Designers of interiors view the TV set as a big black eye to be covered or moved to a corner somehow. They don't like them. Many ladies are into what interior decorators say. Many men, however, view TV as the focal point of the living room and the bigger the better to show off. Who will win and how will Apple interpret the war of the sexes? Ha, I d rather they came out with THE box that sits ahead of your cable box and integrates everything to an apple remote. All connected devices will hav their ID read and mapped to the ONE remote. To control your sound system, tap the sound icon, etc. they could get by with just that. But a content deal would be SUUUUPPPERRR. I'd like basic cable supplemented with iTunes.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Hmmm...apple is big into Design. Designers of interiors view the TV set as a big black eye to be covered or moved to a corner somehow. They don't like them. Many ladies are into what interior decorators say. Many men, however, view TV as the focal point of the living room and the bigger the better to show off. Who will win and how will Apple interpret the war of the sexes? Ha, I d rather they came out with THE box that sits ahead of your cable box and integrates everything to an apple remote. All connected devices will hav their ID read and mapped to the ONE remote. To control your sound system, tap the sound icon, etc. they could get by with just that. But a content deal would be SUUUUPPPERRR. I'd like basic cable supplemented with iTunes.

This is an oversimplification, but I wonder if Apple is all that interested in the monster tv market. Apple's primary fan base is urban hipsters, and they tend not to live in McMansions. They tend to live in in places where small tvs make sense.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Well, I can argue it's just a big iPod Touch

I know there is humor intended, but does anyone expect an Apple TV screen to be touch sensitive? The screen jockeys on news programs have their hands all over those giant screens but they have lackeys available to keep them cleaned.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Agreed, I am not talking to my TV...

Really? I'd use Siri all the time. Right now trying to search for and find a show I want to watch is excrutiatingly slow with a remote. Being able to say something simple like "Show me upcoming episodes of Law & Order" is going to be far easier and quicker than existing methods (using your remote).

Same thing with recordings. I record a lot of stuff (along with the rest of my family) and can easily have over 100 shows on my PVR. Why scroll through a huge list of recorded shows when I can simply say "Show me recordings of Law & Order" or better yet "Show me recordings of Law & Order I haven't watched yet" or "Resume the last Law & Order episode" if I stopped halfway through.

How about something like "Show me Dad's recordings" so I can see my stuff without having to look through the countless Oprah episodes my wife recorded or the umpteen kids shows my children record?

I have yet to see someone suggest a method other than Siri that would let me find what I want and do it faster or easier than Siri potentially could. If you know of something easier, then I'd love to hear it.