Inside Apple's 2011: iOS, Apps & iCloud

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

No one purchased an iPhone 4 in july of 2010 so they can have iCloud in 2011. People buy a phone for what it can do at the time of purchase anything else matters little to them. No one buys something for a feature it will do in the feature

I believe that is true, if somewhat overstated. IMO, very few phone customers think in terms of future updates - they buy the product based upon what it does/is at the time of purchase.

Evidence for this is the phenomenon of how few people, even Apple owners, upgrade to the best available iteration of the OS. Even when it is available to them. People don't care so much. If they like their phone, they don't screw around with "updates" that might change things to a confusing state.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Thats not entirely true. Thats a big appeal I have to Apple and particularly their phones.

Yes. Some percentage of people think in those terms.

But how many? Only 25% of people choose an iOS smartphone compared to Android.

Of those 25%, even if most people chose iOS due in part to updatability, it still represents only about 10 or 15% of smartphone buyers.

I think that Apple's updates to the OS are a very good thing. But most everybody else doesn't give a shit.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

That's a crisis in Apple land: not being able to run the latest stuff perfectly on your 5 year old phone.

Naw. A crisis in Appleland is when stats show that people choose Android phones 3 times for every iOS sale.

Back in the old days, 25% of the market for Apple would have been a major coup. But ever since the iPod, and especially now in the iPad era, the knowledge that the vast majority of customers reject Apple's products is something that the Faithful can't even quite grasp or believe.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Idiot.

Another waste of space article from this "Dilger" guy.

Aw, c'mon. Give the guy a break. there is a kernel of truth to what he says.

In general, the article was informative and entertaining. IMO, in these articles, DED should focus more on Apple, and less on other ventures. Some topics cover Apple for one paragraph, and then go on and on and on about why everyone else sucks.

IOW, the topic should be "The Year in Apple" rather than anything else.

Don't get me wrong. I really want to see many more DED Feature articles. I really want him to have a platform to rant, which he does very very well.

In fact, I want to see lots of "Why Apple is Better and Everyone Else Sucks" articles. Maybe "The State of the Mobile OS: 2012" or "Why Apple's Update Policy is Better than Android's". Or even "Why Apple Customers are GREAT and Android Customers are Bums". Maybe "The Ethics of Android". Or "Why Nobody Else Can Make Stuff as Good as Apple Does".

DED could write great articles on those topics. He constantly tries to shoehorn those topics into articles where they don't belong. Instead, he should have a platform where he can address those topics directly.

I want to see him free to rant and scream and stomp his foot. I really do, because he is such an entertaining writer. If he is freed from any obligation to be balanced, to be objective or to be rational (as opposed to emotional) then he could write epic stuff.

DED is best when he is editorializing. He's passionate and informed. But the information is just the tip of the iceberg or the camel's nose - the passion is what needs to be featured in his articles, and when the topic matter is mere information, there is less room for his analysis.

P.S. And this, Soli, is why the Admins won't ban me, despite your frequent sniffling crying and tugging on their pants. I make plenty of serious posts, and I make good points. My kidding around and my pointing out fallacies stated by the faithful (in an entertaining manner, if I do say so myself) are OK, because of the kernel of truth which always exists. Much like DED's editorializing.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

-Piracy? Thought we were talking about ios not OSX. For the record, you can steal anything on OSX. It isn't hard.

- So basically your reasonings are because people are ignorant and don't have a valid reason?

I am not "reasonings" anything, I am not the one coming up with those reasons, I ear them.

And I was talking about piracy on iOS/android, not OSX. I know people who jailbreak there iPhone to pirate 99 cents software, go figured. Me, I just watch the specials. For example, almost all EA iPad games were on sales this week at 99 cents. So a 10$ game for 99 cents paid 80 cents because I bought 50$ iTune cards for 39$ on special at FutureShop. imo people pirating mobile apps are real cheap.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Hmm. Odd since my wife's Nokia N8 has gotten four major updates within the year (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...nge_logs#N8-00) .Also many of the inbuilt apps like maps etc. (which Apple updates in it's minor updates) have received multiple updates in the year. It can be argued that the Anna upgrade was the only "major" upgrade for the newer Symbian devices and the others are minor, but the again, what constitutes a major upgrade?

This is just one model from one of the mentioned manufacturers. In Nokia's case, you'd have to add at least four more OSs (S40, S60v5, S60v3 and Meego). So "combined released fewer updates" sounds a bit suspicious as it seems that the comparison is not apples to apples?

Why distort the facts, when there's no need for that?

Regs, Jarkko

Well bunching together a lot of incompatible, embedded non-smart phone OSes just to suggest that Nokia is better supporting its platform that apple is a pretty good example of "distorting the facts," particularly given that Nokia has put both Symbian and Meego out to pasture and has selected WP7 as its smartphone platform.

I'd imagine Nokia was just thrown in for historical reasons, as Symbian hasn't added any new useful features compatible to the progressive updates of iOS (AirPlay, AirPrint, iCloud, iMessages, FaceTime, and so on). Nokia updates, like RIM, are largely just tweaks to support new models or fixes for major bugs. Even Android hasn't seen major feature updates. It's more like Linux revisions; new versions of the open code paired with updates of Maps+Navigation and Goggles and G+ clients.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Well bunching together a lot of incompatible, embedded non-smart phone OSes just to suggest that Nokia is better supporting its platform that apple is a pretty good example of "distorting the facts," particularly given that Nokia has put both Symbian and Meego out to pasture and has selected WP7 as its smartphone platform.

I didn't suggest Nokia is better at supporting it's devices. My opinion is far from it. I just wanted to point out a glaring flaw/lie in the article. Also claiming Symbian is an embedded non-smartphone OS is a bit .... to say the least. Unless you meant S40.

Quote:

I'd imagine Nokia was just thrown in for historical reasons, as Symbian hasn't added any new useful features compatible to the progressive updates of iOS (AirPlay, AirPrint, iCloud, iMessages, FaceTime, and so on). Nokia updates, like RIM, are largely just tweaks to support new models or fixes for major bugs. Even Android hasn't seen major feature updates. It's more like Linux revisions; new versions of the open code paired with updates of Maps+Navigation and Goggles and G+ clients.

There you go. What defines a minor or major upgrade? Since the comparison was not apples to apples, why make it at all? Just to get a warm fuzzy feeling by selecting a particular point that can be stated as "fact"? Symbian's Anna did bring major changes (speed & UX changes, OTA updates for example, rewritten Web experience and Email etc.). Belle brought NFC for example.

You could just as well (from the other side) say that Nokia (and android) have had printing, DNLA client and Server functionality, messaging, video calls, Wireless access point etc. for a long time so their updates didn't need to add Airplay, AirPrint, Facetime etc. Kind of like saying iOS had to do the updates to bring functionality inline with the competition. That again would be just as flawed as the article's comparison. By selecting your own definitions for an "minor and major update" to make your viewpoint seem more favourable is not very good article writing.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 28 of 29
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Aw, c'mon. Give the guy a break. There is a kernel of truth to what he says.

Not really. An opinion (like someone saying Apple is god-like and everyone else sucks) is different to factual information (like someone trying to argue green is actually blue or that the Windows 8 metro UI is a "layer of web apps").

There is history behind this. "Dilger" pounced on the "Windows 8 is just a layer of web apps" story after the initial announcement where Microsoft only mentioned HTML and JavaScript as programming options. From memory he even went as far as writing a story about it and how all the developers were pissed off with Microsoft.

Now that Microsoft have released more information it turns out Dilger's "Windows 8 is just a layer of web apps" position was incorrect.

He has two options. Either start presenting the facts (and contradict his earlier position) or stick his head in the sand and pretend that what he is saying is actually true.

It appears he has chosen to stick his head in the sand.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    " while Google's senior vice president of mobile Andy Rubin said in an interview that he doesn't "believe that your phone should be an assistant," adding that "your phone is a tool for communicating. You shouldn?t be communicating with the phone; you should be communicating with somebody on the other side of the phone."

Anyone that would make a statement like this In this day and age should not be in anyway be connected with a technology firm. Especially a high tech cell phone maker. This is just completely asinine.

TBN