Google exec Marissa Mayer "really impressed" with Apple's AirPort WiFi base stations

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    As an IT consultant to many smaller organizations (up to 200 staff) me and my peers always recommend the Extreme. It's our experience that it's the best of the consumer-class devices for range and reliability. For casual use - internal only, light security concerns, unmonitored - this is the solution we like to have. The next higher level for us is considered only if you need enterprise features like QoS to support VoIP, traffic monitoring, landing pages, VLANs, etc.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    How much bandwidth does the Airport extreme have?

With all of the talk of future IPTV, I would like gigabit speed with total throughput bandwidth of around 20-40 Gbs for my next home router.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Did everyone miss the weird things in this article?

Marissa shops at Wal-Mart for her tech?

She uses Dropbox? Really? A VP at Google? Wonder if she requested Sergey and Larry to join so she could get an extra 512MB each.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How much bandwidth does the Airport extreme have?

With all of the talk of future IPTV, I would like gigabit speed with total throughput bandwidth of around 20-40 Gbs for my next home router.

Err, what do you need that kind of bandwidth for? A video rental service?

No seriously you could pick up an "old" Juniper MX80 cheaply used, or an older M series router (eg M40)!?
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Yes, because she is a high ranking and recognised personality in the world of technology, working for a major Apple competitor, her opinion, when it is of Apple's technology products is one that is worth reporting on. Not headline news of a broadsheet, but this is AppleInsider, not a broadsheet; this stuff is interesting to many and generates discussion.

Nope. This story is blah
  • Reply 46 of 46
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Did everyone miss the weird things in this article?

Marissa shops at Wal-Mart for her tech?

She uses Dropbox? Really? A VP at Google? Wonder if she requested Sergey and Larry to join so she could get an extra 512MB each.

It does sound odd, I even figured that someone like that would have a corporate-grade wifi tech costing thousands rather than off-the-shelf electronics but who knows. Maybe Google's just trying to patch things up with Apple some more like 'hey we know we ripped off your mobile OS but if it's any consolation, Marissa really likes your routers'.

I don't think it's odd that she shops at Wal-mart as people won't know her. You wouldn't even spot Eric if you walked by:

http://gizmodo.com/5503004/steve-job...r-again-photos

It's only if you wear an iconic outfit like Steve would you notice right away. Plus, although the wealthy can get poor people to do the shopping for them, some of them like to stay grounded for their kids.