App Store software pirates under attack from Apple's legal team

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Have we descended into a nation of thieves? Or have we always been this way and the Internet just makes it easier?

Stealing from crooks may be theft, but is it morally wrong? I'd say no. The reality is the copyright system is broken. The public has been robbed. A copyright term used to last the same amount of time as a patent. Namely ten years. It was renewable for another ten years. Than the works fell into the public domain.

Patents now last for 14 years, while a copyright over 100 years. This is strange, since patent law actually requires something to be innovative and useful, while copyright barely requires a work to be creative. Yet, after 14 years patents fall into the public domain and anybody can utilize them. With a copyright you have to wait until well after the author of the work dies. Meanwhile the public is being bleed dry for works that generally borrow from tons of other works.

The difference for the length of terms is the patent industry lobbied to keep terms short, which in fact benefits the public. Copyright holders ganged up on the regular folks.

It makes no sense a person can be liable for 20 million dollars for uploading 7 songs, as was the case recently. I would pay less if I beat up my next door neighbor. Moreover, in the fashion industry you are free to take another designers ideas. Yet, that industry is flourishing.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Keep in mind these figures probably include more than the US, but yes I think we have.

We can thank people like Michael Moore for teaching our youth that capitalism is evil & people shouldn't be allowed to make money off a good idea. Now the way to get ahead is to steal it. Thanks Michael for teaching the world to hate the establishment, good on ya for making your millions off this capitalistic society you hate so much.

I doubt you ever watched a Michael Moore movie. He clearly teaches none of the things you suggest. He does, however, happen to have a problem with companies that use their power to lobby for rules that screw the rest of us.

In fact, he points out in one of his movies how at the height of the economic boom corporations were making more money than ever, and ironically they paid the highest tax rate at any other time in our Countries history. Everyone was prospering, which he clearly thinks was good. It was after companies got greedy and shifted the tax burden to the poor folks that Moore takes issue with (amongst other things).

Further, I don't see Moore giving free admission to his movies.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Have we descended into a nation of thieves? Or have we always been this way and the Internet just makes it easier?

More a nation of greedy people who don't want to pay for anything and have the moral ethics of Heinrich Himmler.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:

Always been this way. People used to pirate music and data back when that meant copying cassettes and floppies. Internet makes it easier.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

I hope to Christ Almighty they hang these c**ksuckers by thier gnatsized balls ....

F**ckin' scumbags ruining a flawless, good thing for everyone -- go get "em, Apple!

I suppose no one is thinking of the Blue Box right now...
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I suppose no one is thinking of the Blue Box right now...

The pirates aren't sticking it to "The Man", they're sticking it to all the other citizens being "oppressed" by "The Man".

HUGE inherent difference.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The pirates aren't sticking it to "The Man", they're sticking it to all the other citizens being "oppressed" by "The Man".

HUGE inherent difference.

LOL! Woz and Jobs were not sticking it to the man either!! They were selling a (really cool) device that allowed people to make long distance phone calls for free. They were essentially selling for profit somebody else's product. I think it is actually a very good analogy.

This is not to say that I condem Jobs n Woz or that I condone pirates, I just think that people sometimes only see what they want to see...
  • Reply 28 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I think it is actually a very good analogy.

The difference comes when these pirates aren't selling the stuff they pirate (must resist the urge to add, "that's Google and Samsung's job").
  • Reply 29 of 36
    damensdamens Posts: 35member
    I think I must be missing something here. What is meant by the following phrase: "huge takedown notices" have been sent out by Apple's legal team in an effort to shut down the piracy service. The Apptrackr service has since stopped directly linking to pirated software, and now has CAPTCHA verification checks when users steal software.

So adding a "captcha" to pirating software is a slightly positive move, designed to reduce said piracy and instituted by a site which advocates and enables piracy ? Does this not seem a little ridiculous ?

Next time I'm in a bush fire I'm going to urinate on a tree and then claim credit once the fire has been doused.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:

If my kid doesn't know that stealing is wrong, blame me, not Micheal Moore. Lock me up and throw away the key.

What if your kid KNOWS it's wrong, but steals anyway? Do we still lock YOU up?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen Christ and cocksucker in the same sentence.

Well, I guess most of the world assumes he was 100% heterosexual, so...
  • Reply 32 of 36
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What if your kid KNOWS it's wrong, but steals anyway? Do we still lock YOU up?

If I neglect my responsibility as a parent, lock me up. If my kid strays from what he knows is right, let him pay for his own crime.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

About time.

So, the thieves asking their customers, who are also thieves, to pay them instead of the software developers. What's wrong with everyone!

Ha! Spot on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Ouch!

Capitalism is bad when it is run by opportunist scumbags. Or heartless exploiters but stealing does sounds like a quick way of paying back against them. Blame the man-invented systems. We're unfortunately heading to the wrong direction.

Capitalism is founded and bred by opportunity and clearly opportunistic people (scumbags?). Is it therefore bad by default? hmmm
  • Reply 34 of 36
    If they provided a proper demo/trial mode for software on the iOS and Mac App Store I would wager there would be fewer people getting the software illegally. iOS apps are generally cheap but even that 2 euros hurts when you realize you just spent it on a piece of crap that is nothing like it claims because you couldn't try it first. Much worse on the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

If they provided a proper demo/trial mode for software on the iOS and Mac App Store I would wager there would be fewer people getting the software illegally. iOS apps are generally cheap but even that 2 euros hurts when you realize you just spent it on a piece of crap that is nothing like it claims because you couldn't try it first. Much worse on the Mac App Store.

Many developers provide "Lite" versions of their apps.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Software has never been so cheap as on the App Store. There's really no excuse for pirating it.