Verizon reports sales of 4.2 million iPhones during holiday quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

WTF are you talking about?

edited, I hope its more comprehensive. I try to write to fast and on top of that english is not my main language, so I am not always clear. I also notice I skip words from time to time when I write. I am getting old I guess.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a Galaxy phone and I will never buy another Samsung Phone again after this one.

The guy at work that was going to buy 5 phones for his family before he went on vacation bought 1 samsung nexus and 4 HTC. I have seen the Nexus in stores but it made a different effect when he pull it out is pocket at work. Boy that thing is huge, almost like a very small tablet. I also played a bit with it, Android 4.0 is such a copycat of iOS. Browsing a website on such a big phone was much better than on my iPhone 4s.

I wish Apple would make a bigger phone but this would be too big for some people. What size would you like the iPhone 5 to be?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Samsung, you mean the company that just told the customers of its previously best line of phones that they will not be getting an upgrade to the latest version of Android. Or all the suckers who bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab only to learn they couldn't upgrade to Android 3 just six months later! Is that the kind of mindshare they are gaining? A company that once they they take your money, they turn their back and run. In the short term Samsung may grab a ton of market share, but in the long run, they will lose a good chunk of it due to poor customer service and support.

I think you have misinterpreted why Samsung's market share is growing and it has nothing to with marketing, but more with out "modeling" the competition. Samsung makes more models of phones than any other company in the world. They have absolutely no focus and zero attention to detail. They see a competitors device, clone it, and flood the market with it. They do this in all areas of consumer electronics, not just smartphones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The guy at work that was going to buy 5 phones for his family before he went on vacation bought 1 samsung nexus and 4 HTC. I have seen the Nexus in stores but it made a different effect when he pull it out is pocket at work. Boy that thing is huge, almost like a very small tablet.

I wish Apple would make a bigger phone but this would be too big for some people. What size would you like the iPhone 5 to be?

I think 4'' would be a good size. If they make one then I will get rid of my Samsung. Samsung makes nice screens, thats what suckered me in.. however if they give you a year of updates your lucky.. They may sell a lot of phones but its the repeat customers they should be worrying about.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

I think 4'' would be a good size.

I do hope they keep the 3.5" model if they add a larger screen to their line up. I really don't want a bigger phone.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I do hope they keep the 3.5" model if they add a larger screen to their line up. I really don't want a bigger phone.

I agree with you on that. Personally I dont see why they want to get a bigger screen phone, some would argue that they prefer a bigger screen so that they can watch movies read some news or even play some games, for which they already have a device and they call it iPad. .

Any way, I guess people have different choices and Apple has their own plans, I guess it is not feasible for everyone to buy two separate devices. I guess it will be an interesting year to see the path taken by Apple as long as they make insanely great devices with affordable costs too
  • Reply 26 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

What killed RIM was resting on their laurels as you stated. Thinking that the things that had been successful for them in the past would continue doing so. Samsung has out-advertised Apple, and is gaining mindshare. Some people (sadly a growing contingent) think that their phones are better than Apple's. Google is becoming cool again... like 3 years ago.

Apple might not be able to keep up the 12-month phone release cycle; can they adapt effectively to a 6-9 month cycle like the rest of the industry if the mind-share starts to erode?

So in your mind being completely passed by by the fundamental changes in the phone industry that Apple brought about, clinging to an outmoded OS without the the functionality that Apple taught consumers to expect and demand, botching the rollout of the ostensible nextgen OS that attempts to catch up to the bar that Apple has set, releasing a tablet that suffered mightily compared to Apple's vastly superior product, and generally being at sea in a market that Apple dictated the terms of-- all of that is equivalent to Apple not advertising enough and not releasing a phone every 15 minutes differentiated by little more than a name and a few specs.

OK.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OK.

Addabox.... brilliant!
  • Reply 28 of 30
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Seriously! I haven't heard anything about the iPhone not selling in Europe.

edit: Found link to article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BL0FU20111222

It's funny that despite this worldwide economic downturn the iPhone has become the world's most popular and profitable smartphone, and the smartphone market has exploded despite all this economic turmoil. I'm sure Apple's number will break records once again. BTW, the article states that Google dominates smartphones but they sell very few smartphones that are Google branded. What they dominate is the smartphone OS used by dozens upon dozens of vendors. Not the same thing. It's like saying Windows is a personal computer.

Slightly correction, if I may - What Google dominates is the smartphone platform (i.e. Android) on which others base their OS. Even before Nook and Kindle Fire emerged, Android on Motorola was not quite the same as Android on Galaxy. The way I see it, there are many Android-based OSes. Splitting hair? Not with the likes of B&N and Amazon forking things up, and the forks proliferating.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Slightly correction, if I may - What Google dominates is the smartphone platform (i.e. Android) on which others base their OS. Even before Nook and Kindle Fire emerged, Android on Motorola was not quite the same as Android on Galaxy. The way I see it, there are many Android-based OSes. Splitting hair? Not with the likes of B&N and Amazon forking things up, and the forks proliferating.

That's an interesting question. Where do you draw the line for the OS. I think OS or Operating System is simply too general a term. Darwin is an OS and it's shared among Mac OS, iOS for iPhone, iOS for iPod Touch, iOS for iPad, iOS for AppleTV, and likely future iOS-based devices, but I while I would put all these under the OS X umbrella which is under the open Darwin OS umbrealla, where do we draw the line for Android. Surely it's below the UI layer and above the kernel but what criteria do we use to draw the line? Having access to the same market ecosystem may work for some things but it seems very artificial to me as a qualifier.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    palominepalomine Posts: 363member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I had an interesting commentary from a co-worker. He could get a nice Samsung phone for $0, or an iPhone 3GS for $0 for his kid. The kid would much rather get the Samsung phone than a two and a half year old design from Apple... and was happy with the gift. His issue wasn't the initial cost of the phone, simply the family politics if the daughter got a better phone than his wife or the son already had.

Apple is making a killing off every iPhone sold, but they are getting behind, and risk becoming the next RIM. I really hope they can pull off a better competitor to Samsung while they have a strong hand to play.

...but I am in no way concerned about their profits for 2012!!

That's your example... Of sibling rivalry? Kid doesn't want what his sister has? Oh I guess apple must be doomed and falling behind