Tim Cook has option to convert $100M in vested Apple shares

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook will have the option to convert over 200,000 shares of company stock, worth nearly $100 million, which will become vested in the first quarter of 2012.

A study released on Thursday by equity research firm Equilar revealed that more than $780 million of equity will be available for sale by Silicon Valley executives in the first quarter of 2012, and Apple CEO Cook leads the pack with an estimated $96.2 million option, according to the Wall Street Journal.

"Each year, the vesting of equity awards spikes in the first quarter," said Equilar Chief Executive David Chun.

The firm used the data from the study to compile a list ranking the values of vested stock options for the industry's top executives.

The $96.2 million estimate is based on Dec. 30, 2011 Apple stock prices, and overshadows the $16.4 million in upcoming vested equity that the list's second place executive Google Chairman Eric Schmidt can cash in this quarter. Rounding out the top three is eBay CEO John Donahoe with $10.5 million in vested shares.

Cook's shares include part of two restricted-stock-unit grants, one of which he received when he filled in as interim CEO during Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' medical leave in early 2011.

Should the new CEO not choose to convert the shares, they of course would continue to accrue value as long as Apple's stock price continues to rise.

A resurgence of Silicon Valley business has recently lead to an overall increase in stock sales as executives sold $1.6 billion worth of shares during the first quarter of 2011, a 50 percent rise from the $1.1 billion sold during the same period in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Hmm. Think I will convert some shares of my stock. Hope they won't be alarmed. I plan to leave Apple for IBM eventually.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    And worth every penny. Unlike the overwhelming majority of grossly overpaid CEO's out there.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Sounds like a typical day at a typical office. Executives at pretty much every company have similar options.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And worth every penny. Unlike the overwhelming majority of grossly overpaid CEO's out there.

I kind of agree with you, Cook is clearly a great leader and worthy of high reward.

I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with the idea that anyone is worth $100 million.

Except me, of course!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Wow, that's almost as much as I have.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Absolutely.

My big question is what's wrong with most of the other 499 CEOs of Fortune 500 companies? Why can't you guys perform like Tim Cook?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Too bad Cook works like a fiend, gets up in the early hours every day only to work out, has no family (apparently he's gay which probably made that all tougher for him given when he was born) and basically has no life outside of Apple.

So all that money doesn't change his life one bit really.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple II Plus View Post

Too bad Cook works like a fiend, gets up in the early hours every day only to work out, has no family (apparently he's gay which probably made that all tougher for him given when he was born) and basically has no life outside of Apple.

So all that money doesn't change his life one bit really.

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Absolutely.

My big question is what's wrong with most of the other 499 CEOs of Fortune 500 companies? Why can't you guys perform like Tim Cook?

As far as I'm concerned, the only way they can perform is by getting on their knees.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    grubgrub Posts: 24member
    Quote:

I dunno... Mike and Jim are surely worth $50M each, no?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

nothing is wrong, which is why you didn't even bother to write one thing.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple II Plus View Post

nothing is wrong, which is why you didn't even bother to write one thing.

Your accusations toward his sexuality, your belief that you know his daily routine, your belief that you know his social life?

And then, obviously, your judgement of him as a money-grubber.

It's abject nonsense.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Apple thinks they own Steve Jobs now? Apple is in need of a dgood kick in the ass for the way they're behaving.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph Kool View Post

Apple thinks they own Steve Jobs now? Apple is in need of a dgood kick in the ass for the way they're behaving.

Other than the legal capability for entities to own likenesses, you're absolutely right.

So you're absolutely wrong. Try getting some fact before blathering on any more, okay?