Apple to open new store-within-a-store outlets inside Target this year

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

That is strange. Dedham MA and Framingham MA both have apple stores and they can't have near the population density as Brooklyn.

It's not just about population density. A smaller population with more ready cash is preferred, or at least was. Then there's also the presence of a location that fits with Apple's rigorous needs
  • Reply 62 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Look at the picture of the Target display. Cheap looking, standard metal shelves painted black with no products out in the open for the customer to experience. No one around to ask question or point out features.

That is because those are photos of a Target display. If they do the SiS then the displays will be remodeled to Apple's SiS standards, just like Best Buy had to do.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could you explain it for us slow-minded ones? Particularly how this is any different from Apple having Authorized Resellers or kiosks in Best Buy.

And you must work for them to know exactly how it will not. See where that gets you? Without any concrete information, the best we have on which to speculate is existing data. Therefore, the Best Buy model.

I already answered these. Best Buy is not the same as Target AND in my opinion, Best Buy doesn't do a very good job of selling Apple products. (Volume wise they might, but they still contribute to some diluting of the brand.) Still, at Best Buy there are a lot of other high end electronics so at least it's a better fit than Target. The next isle down at Best Buy you may have a $1500 DSLR camera. The next isle down at Target you may have adult diapers. It's a big difference.

Maybe you believe you can do SWAS anywhere and it will have no effect on Apple's image. Maybe we should put one in Bass Pro Shops. You're entitled to that opinion, but based on the established marketing concepts it usually will have an negative effect.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
  • Reply 65 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

?diluting of the brand.

Ever stop and think that maybe Apple doesn't want to be seen as 'those great computers that are out of my reach' anymore?
  • Reply 66 of 79
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I already answered these. Best Buy is not the same as Target AND in my opinion, Best Buy doesn't do a very good job of selling Apple products. (Volume wise they might, but they still contribute to some diluting of the brand.) Still, at Best Buy there are a lot of other high end electronics so at least it's a better fit than Target. The next isle down at Best Buy you may have a $1500 DSLR camera. The next isle down at Target you may have adult diapers. It's a big difference.

Maybe you believe you can do SWAS anywhere and it will have no effect on Apple's image. Maybe we should put one in Bass Pro Shops. You're entitled to that opinion, but based on the established marketing concepts it usually will have an negative effect.

Shopping at Best Buy is a ghetto experience. Target is hardly worse, probably better.

Here's an interesting take on Best Buy, FWIW.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Target is a discount chain. Apple will damage their brand by associating with them.

Associating with Target doesn't seem to have hurt Apple since October 2002 (when Apple started associating with them).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Just please, no Walmart.

No Walmart?

So you want Apple to change what they have been doing for the last*7 years?
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

If Brooklyn were not part of NYC, it would be the fourth largest city in America. I'm baffled we don't have an Apple store yet when there are five enormous ones across the river.

Yous gott-a point.

• Reply 69 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

If Brooklyn were not part of NYC, it would be the fourth largest city in America. I'm baffled we don't have an Apple store yet when there are five enormous ones across the river.

Then it's a good thing Brooklyn is a part of NYC and there are 5 enormous ones across the river?

I'd make some quip about the grass is always greener but being from Brooklyn you may not know what grass is.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I feel this will be good. I shop at Target nearly every week as do many other people. Target is often accessible to more shoppers, where often an Apple store isn't close by. As long as Apple keeps the selection of products simple this should continue to be a success for both retailers!
  • Reply 71 of 79
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    I love how a lot of these comment sections get completely sidetracked from the main article. The article stated "According to a source familiar with Apple's plans, the company plans to begin operating Apple-branded areas within 25 larger Target stores in locations which can't support a standalone Apple Store."

So, it's just a couple of dozen stores where there isn't an Apple store in the area. I don't see a problem with this. Essentially, Apple is just providing a little more customer service to stores that already sell the iOS devices, with the potential of selling more products. I would envision, Apple TV, Mac Minis, Airport Base Stations, maybe even macbook airs, and iMacs being sold in the SWAS. Selling Apple TVs would be a great prelude to selling a rumored Apple Television in the future. And having an enthusiastic Apple salesperson talking about the MAGICAL qualities of the new Apple Television would be a must.

I am hoping that if Apple does go this route, that they do it properly and have a quality display and helpful staff. Maybe they can install a "Genius bar" next to the Starbucks at the Target entrance. (ok, just kidding about that one.)
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:

I call BS. brooklyn has 2.5 million http://brooklyn.com/population.html

The greater metropolitan area of Houston is over 6 million (2.1 for the city) http://www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/houstonfacts.html

And we have 3 stores. Every time I goto my local store there appears to be an even 1/3 of that 6 million in there on photobooth. Damn kids.

Oh yeah and to stay on "target" (pun intended) as per djmikeo above, Target is way below Apple in status. This is a numbers game.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

I call BS. brooklyn has 2.5 million http://brooklyn.com/population.html

The greater metropolitan area of Houston is over 6 million (2.1 for the city) http://www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/houstonfacts.html

And we have 3 stores. Every time I goto my local store there appears to be an even 1/3 of that 6 million in there on photobooth. Damn kids.

Oh yeah and to stay on "target" (pun intended) as per djmikeo above, Target is way below Apple in status. This is a numbers game.

Brooklyn has 2.5 million residents which would make it 4th largest city after the adjusted size of NYC, LA and Chicago. Your reference to the metropolitan area of Houston is quite difference from the city. If you consider the metropolitan area of NYC over the city the number jumps from 8 million to 19 million.Ain't Wikipedia grande?
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ferazel View Post

Doubtful they're going to sell Macs. They don't sell PCs of any kind.

I think the low trainability on iOS devices is all that Target is going to be able to handle.

HMV in the UK is a media outlet. DVDs, CDs, Blu-Rays, Games, Posters etc - you know the drill. They also sell iMacs, MBAs, MBPs and iPads.

Likelihood of Target selling Macs just skyrocketed.

Edit: Replied to wrong post. Fixed now :P
  • Reply 75 of 79
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member
    If Apple does not give 30% cut of their profits to Target, then they contradict their own philosophy. Remember the in-app purchase restrictions?

For big corporations with huge pile of cash reserves, rules are only meant to bend the others and they do not apply to the self. And this policy is what shadows their product line.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rBels View Post

If Apple does not give 30% cut of their profits to Target, then they contradict their own philosophy.

Uh, since when has that been the agreement for physical stores?

Quote:

Remember the in-app purchase restrictions?

Remember how that has nothing to do with physical stores?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Ugh, talk about destroying a brand. Who the hell is going to buy a $1000 and up Mac at Target????

Craziness. The only reason the iPad sells at target is because it's as low as $499, and on launch days/weeks it's another spot to check for scarce inventory.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Target is a discount chain. Apple will damage their brand by associating with them.

Really? Affluent people like Target a lot from what I can tell.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Best Buy is a discount chain as well...