Apple sold 1.2M MacBook Airs over holidays, new models with Ivy Bridge loom

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Which R&D team developed the Plasma,LED displays and OLED displays. Pretty major component of the tv

Which R&D team developed the chipsets and all hardware in your laptop ?

Also, if you think windows 8 is a copy of something from Apple, you have never seen 1 second of it.

There are a lot of areas where Apple shines, but please be objective and don't stretch it to 100%

Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, but that invention does not drive a customer's decision to buy one brand over another. When everyone uses the same technology, the impact is a wash. It's only the companies that continue to build and innovate beyond the original idea are the companies who continue to flourish. This seems to be a problem with many companies today. And who says design does not drive the hardware? Apple is built on this premise and I think that the Macbook Air is evidence of this.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Unless it runs OS X, I doubt Apple is losing any sleep over this development.

Once again, Apple creates the future. And then the industry follows.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Oh my, that looks like a black macbook air.

My first impressions exactly. Clean lines, thin, wedgey shape. Deeply radiused corners. Oh look, the touchpad is a large, single "buttonless" design. Even the half-height arrow keys. Or the section carved out of the bottom, under the trackpad to open the lid, which appears to be held closed without latches. Where do they get such a clean design??? It doesn't even have those obnoxious "Intel Inside" and "Designed for Windows 7" stickers! What manufacturer doesn't slather their notebooks in co-branding stickers? So un-Windows like. So very MacBook like.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

...R&D ( AKA Ripp-Off & Doppelgang) ...

Nice!
  • Reply 25 of 50
    We used to spend 100s extra to use our favorite operating system. Now with a $50-$100 difference in price and improved quality, design, and support on Macs. It feels like these Windows machines are more expensive.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Which R&D team developed the Plasma,LED displays and OLED displays. Pretty major component of the tv

Also, if you think windows 8 is a copy of something from Apple, you have never seen 1 second of it.

There are a lot of areas where Apple shines, but please be objective and don't stretch it to 100%

The examples you give are irrelevant. You can't copy an LCD panel any more than you can copy a chipset, but these companies are quite blatantly copying Apples industrial designs.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    If an Apple Mac Book Air cost just fifty dollars more than an identical Windows machine, I'd spend the extra $50 for the Apple OS. It would be worth it.

Anybody who has used an Apple computer and a Windows OS for any length of time would choose the Apple product.

If the price difference were over $100 I would choose the Windows machine because I would just put a version of Linux on it and keep Windows as a small dual boot for watching Netflix.

Apple makes great products but everybody has their spending limitations.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If the price difference were over $100 I would choose the Windows machine

Really? $100 up front isn't worth having a machine that will still be usable as a primary three years down the road? Okay.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    With the 11-inch model outselling the 13-inch one 10 to one. Apple should make a 7-inch MacBook Air to outsell them all. The Mac in your pocket. Always.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

?7-inch MacBook Air?

Welp, I guess it was inevitable that someone would suggest that.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

With the 11-inch model outselling the 13-inch one 10 to one. Apple should make a 7-inch MacBook Air to outsell them all. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

Or a 9.7" model to outsell them all.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Jony Ive must be f'ng rich designing for all these companies. They don't look half bad in these promo shots but once they're in BB covered with stickers they look downright ugly. Of course none of them can touch the fit and finish of Apple. And do we know if any of them are complete unibody? I've heard to keep the price below the MBA not all of them (if any) were.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Seems to me the rip off is in hardware moreso than software. And there is no Apple TV to rip off. Plus I doubt Sony or LG are losing sleep over rumors of an Apple TV.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My first impressions exactly. Clean lines, thin, wedgey shape. Deeply radiused corners. Oh look, the touchpad is a large, single "buttonless" design. Even the half-height arrow keys. Or the section carved out of the bottom, under the trackpad to open the lid, which appears to be held closed without latches. Where do they get such a clean design??? It doesn't even have those obnoxious "Intel Inside" and "Designed for Windows 7" stickers! What manufacturer doesn't slather their notebooks in co-branding stickers? So un-Windows like. So very MacBook like.

No doubt when this ends up in Best Buy if will be covered in stickers. I have yet to see a Wintel machine at BB that wasn't.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No doubt when this ends up in Best Buy if will be covered in stickers. I have yet to see a Wintel machine at BB that wasn't.

True. You don't even need a spec sheet: just read the stickers. What's even stranger is that if you buy one of these, the stickers are on the machines they put in the box, and not just the display models.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    we call 'em BlackBook Airs...
  • Reply 37 of 50
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

The examples you give are irrelevant. You can't copy an LCD panel any more than you can copy a chipset, but these companies are quite blatantly copying Apples industrial designs.

Did you look at any other pictures of the acer s5, like the one I posted. It's not even wedge shaped, yet still people here are saying it's the exact same casing. If you really think that this ultrabook is a 1:1 design copy of the mac air, I don't get why you would be even bothered by a design... I see tons of things different, yes, it's a thin laptop with a hinge and a keyboard on the bottom half... that's about it.

I mentioned a number of innovations from other companies as these are more important to me than the design. Sure a nice design is a plus, but I think the development of above mentioned technologies is way more important than any design. MacAir looks nice, but with a TN panel I would have skipped it and as battery life is also a technical important issue for me I welcome the sandy/ivy bridge platforms.

Apple can innovate because of their own R&D but would have gotten nowhere without the likes of Samsung/LG/Intel/Foxconn etc. for developing and producing the hardware Apple now uses.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    I want an ARM cortex 15 quad core 2.5 ghz Macbook Air. Would be fast enough, cost 300 dollars less and have much longer battery time.

When Apple starts to move its computer line to ARM, wonder if they will offer both X86 and ARM lineup like they did with Intel and PPC.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I want an ARM cortex 15 quad core 2.5 ghz Macbook Air. Would be fast enough, cost 300 dollars less and have much longer battery time.

When Apple starts to move its computer line to ARM, wonder if they will offer both X86 and ARM lineup like they did with Intel and PPC.

i think once we get quad-core Cortex-A15 I think the MBA would be a candidate but we have to consider apps. Luckily the Mac App Store will make this an easy process to recompile if Apple's history in chip architectures is any indication. I wouldn't expect anything until Mac OS 10.8.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Ivy Bridge will boost the graphics speeds by about 50%, and CPU power by about 30% while reducing power output (improving battery life). It is a bigger deal if you like to play games.

You might actually get 10% better CPU performance. GPU performance though is all over the map. with anywhere from 20% to more than 2X.

IB should be a great upgrade if you are rather disappointed with Intel only graphics or hope for good OpenCL performance. It is also a mistake to place IB's value simply on the desire to play games, it will be a huge advantage in any software that makes use of GPU acceleration including web browsers. Almost all of the improvements in IB went into the GPU so it will be very interesting to see how these work on Apples platforms.