What Do You Expect For The Next PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>What high-school REQUIRES students to BUY a laptop??? Smells like bullshit to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A private high school. They can do whatever they want, and yes that is complete bullshit
  • Reply 62 of 129
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Motorola's documentations have the same chip being used in the Ti right now available at 800 MHz. The 7500 & GF4 Go are shipping right now too. What is Apple waiting for? The sky to fall? I dont want my dude to get stuck with a 667 and have an 800 come out with better specs for the same price.

I'm kinda interested in the iceBook. You know, one of those Sahara G3s running at 800 Mhz, combo drive, 4 lbs, Radeon, that would be a nice little portable.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    [quote]Originally posted by KrazyFool:

<strong>

Ghz in TiBook? I would be able to bbq chicken on it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe they'l use a ribbed surface for the bottom instead of the flat and put a teflon coating on it.

Not only can you have the coolest laptop on the block, you've got the grill for the block party!
  • Reply 64 of 129
    What I want by September at the lastest (when I go to University) is 1 GHz G4 (on top end), 512 MB RAM, 48 GB (hopefully 60 GB) HD, SuperDrive (maybe not by September, but I can hope,) Mobility RADEON 7500 w/32 MB, high res (not 1600 * xxxx, pixels too tiny, but &gt; 1152*768).

But my hopes are probably a little too optimistic.

I expect at least 800 MHz and either RADEON 7500 or GeForce 4 Go (bad name) in the next few months. SuperDrive and 1 GHz will probably have to wait.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    hh Posts: 16member
    [quote] Ya, the mac gets better battery life but so what. <hr></blockquote>

Um, I'd say that battery life is very important for a laptop. I'd rather have one hour more of battery life than a 200 MHz speed increase.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>

This is upsetting news (rumors) for me. I want to buy a PowerBook in early fall/ late summer, but I want it to last throughout my four years in college. If I buy in May, I have a laptop for the start of college but if i wait til October, I run the risk of Apple not even updating it then. I might even have to wait until MWSF 2003! I don;t think I could deal with buying a $3000 computer and then having it updated with a 25% increase in processor clock speed 5 months later (more importantly, only 1 month of actual use since college starts in september). Decisions-Decisions. What shall I do! What shall I do?

:confused: :confused: :confused: </strong><hr></blockquote>

In the Wintel market, the machine's basically outdated the minute you buy it. Apple is a bit different, having ~6 month gap between updates. If you were buying a PC, I'd say go ahead and get the top model right before school starts, because there will be a new chipset within a month. With Apple, it's a game of guessing. I'm betting that there will be at least one update to the PowerBook line before September. If the update comes at MWNY, then it's safe to assume that there won't be another update to the line until December at the earliest. However, my feeling is we're going to see an update to the PowerBooks before MWNY, which leaves the option of a possible update at MW Paris or one of Apple's press conferences sometime in October or November. The real question is, how badly do you need the laptop? If you have something that will hold you over until two revisions from now, then I would probably wait. If you desperately need a laptop for school, then go ahead and buy the next revision. Keep in mind that even in Apple releases new PowerBooks in May, it's conceivable that there wouldn't be the next update until MWSF. You'll have to face the fact that, no matter when you purchase (even with Apple), eventually there will be a machine that replaces it. The saving grace with Apple is that updates don't come as often, and, as a result, old Macs tend to hold their resale values better than Wintels and Apple's updates are more substantial. It sums up to your satisfaction of the current features vs your need of a new machine.

--Brian
  • Reply 67 of 129
    k.a.i.k.a.i. Posts: 1member
    What I expect in next PowerBook:

\t-800Mhz CPU

\t-Ultra ATA 100

\t-DDR SDRAM

\t-800Mbit version of FireWire

\t-USB 2.0

\t-Built-in Bluetooth

\t-Faster ComboDrive

\t-RADEON 7500 Mobility/GeForce4 Go

\t-Two button click

\t-Mac OS X 10.2

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: K.A.I. ]</p>
  • Reply 68 of 129
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Next version of firewire will be 1600Mbps not 800. It'll stay at 400 for a while yet (I think) untill it jumps to 1600.

There's almost no point to 800. More speed is always better, but it isn't fast enough for uncompressed HD video, and 400 IS fast enough for compressed video. If they do an upgrade, it might as well add some functionality otherwise they'll just leave it alone.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>

A private high school. They can do whatever they want, and yes that is complete bullshit</strong><hr></blockquote>

For the price of private school tuition they ought to throw in the laptop. Man that sucks. I don't know anyone who actually enjoyed their private school unless they were boarding school punks. It's not too late to find a nice public school with all the things that make your teenage years great, scary, exciting, miserable etc etc...

You might be rich, but even so, slum while you can. If daddy's got money, it won't matter where you went to school, or what you got on SAT's.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 70 of 129
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    First of all, most of you don't know a rat's ass about semiconductor design, etc. Now, I'm no whiz, but I do know a rat's ass.

A fully compatible G5 can be made into a low power form merely by changing around the patterns and types of logic used. That is, it can be made to emphasize power over speed. (See Mobile Pentiums)

It's just that Apple/Moto/IBM don't like to sacrifice chip power in order for a marketing advantage. Hell, Intel is basically stuck as far as mobile Pentiums go, but they make sure to drop in plenty of new names into the market.

If Apple released a pbg4 with a low power Apollo G4 with low voltage electronics, it could likely produce no more heat than my 500Mhz 7410, while cruising above 1Ghz in clock speed. I just don't know when it's going to happen, though it could happen now if the planets aligned just right. . . that is, the tech is there, but I don't know if it has been applied, and to what extent.

What I want in a powerbook:

- Fast G4 processor

- 802.11a built in to the motherboard via Atheros spec.

- Bluetooth built in to the motherboard. (ditch irDA)

- faster firewire (800Mbps)

- smarter cooling desing. (i.e. a fluid/sleeve bearing fan with larger diameter and slower speed. I'm damn near about to make this mod myself.)

- Raycer included chips rumored to be in next powermac.

- Latest ATi Mobile (I like ATi more than nVidia unless I can be convinced with good example)

- Same monitor, etc.
  • Reply 71 of 129
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member

<strong>

For the price of private school tuition they ought to throw in the laptop. Man that sucks. I don't know anyone who actually enjoyed their private school unless they were boarding school punks. It's not too late to find a nice public school with all the things that make your teenage years great, scary, exciting, miserable etc etc...

You might be rich, but even so, slum while you can. If daddy's got money, it won't matter where you went to school, or what you got on SAT's.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I liked my private high school....

And I'll reiterate that I think the release will occur sometime between now and May 6 (a nice 5 week window)
  • Reply 72 of 129
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    The first P4's were slower than P3's but now that they've gone to a 0.13 process and 300mm wafers the p4 chip is smaller cooler cheaper and uses fewer watts than the old chip. Not only this, the next round of P4 chips (in 60 days) will have on-die AGP and system bus controller running up to 533Mhz. By september there should be 2.4ghz+ p4m laptops running for several hours. Intel has seen the desktop market saturate, they've been after the laptop market for a while now, and we're begining to see the results of their effort. On die 802.11a+b chipset and antenna are next.

I'm not saying they're better than Apple, because you still have to use Windows, but it's hard to ignore the loaded laptop systems out there considering they cost a lot less than the powerbook.

here:

<a href="http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0937217398.1017 753957@@@@&BV_EngineID=cadcdjflegjgbfekcghcfmfdglk .0&comm=CS&plin=Portable%20Computers&pfam=Satellit e&poid=207513&Adoid=164618" target="_blank">Toshiba Satellite laptop</a>

And just in case you complain that it's 8 pounds and has 90 minutes of battery life:

<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml</a>;

[shortened overlong URL -Amorph]

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: JasonPP ]

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 73 of 129
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    While the desktop P4s have improved over the first generation with the Northwood P4 earlier this year, and are faster than the P3, the P4-M processors are still slower than P3-M 1.2 GHz. Don't confuse desktop and mobile CPUs. As much as Intel would want you to believe, they really aren't that alike in terms of raw performance.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    1Ghz Dual G4 Powerbook... please!!!
  • Reply 75 of 129
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>The first P4's were slower than P3's but now that they've gone to a 0.13 process and 300mm wafers the p4 chip is smaller cooler cheaper and uses fewer watts than the old chip. Not only this, the next round of P4 chips (in 60 days) will have on-die AGP and system bus controller running up to 533Mhz. By september there should be 2.4ghz+ p4m laptops running for several hours. Intel has seen the desktop market saturate, they've been after the laptop market for a while now, and we're begining to see the results of their effort. On die 802.11a+b chipset and antenna are next.

I'm not saying they're better than Apple, because you still have to use Windows, but it's hard to ignore the loaded laptop systems out there considering they cost a lot less than the powerbook.

here:

<a href="http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0937217398.1017 753957@@@@&BV_EngineID=cadcdjflegjgbfekcghcfmfdglk .0&comm=CS&plin=Portable%20Computers&pfam=Satellit e&poid=207513&Adoid=164618" target="_blank">Toshiba Satellite laptop</a>

And just in case you complain that it's 8 pounds and has 90 minutes of battery life:

<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml</a>;

[shortened overlong URL -Amorph]

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: JasonPP ]

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

First off, you're fairly misguided. 802.11a would not be integrated into a microprocessor such as the P4 or G4 or whatever. The trasmission/reception STILL makes a fair but of interference, even though the latest technology has managed to migrate wireless RoC's (Radio on a chip) to Silicon.

Plus, with the P4 demanding so much IO interconnect, i think it would be much easier for intel to lay the 802.11a chipset elsewhere on the motherboard.

300mm die. . . shit, that's absolutely huge. Intel better be making super-high yield on those p4s or else a lot of Si is going to waste. . .

Also, judging by your link the best lighweight machine the PC world can offer is a 14.1", 4.4lb Sony with no built-in CD/DVD. If you ask me that has nothing on the TiBook. It also is thicker than the Ti.

[quote]Originally posted by Tarbash:

<strong>While the desktop P4s have improved over the first generation with the Northwood P4 earlier this year, and are faster than the P3, the P4-M processors are still slower than P3-M 1.2 GHz. Don't confuse desktop and mobile CPUs. As much as Intel would want you to believe, they really aren't that alike in terms of raw performance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right. As I said eariler, the Mobile Pentium family is not just a family of scaled down Pentiums. They have entirely different logical routines that happen to be algebraically identical to to non-mobile versions. So the IO is identical, but the chip inside is much different. . . It's not like it's built on a greatly reduced feature size either.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 76 of 129
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

<strong>

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny you should mention that, after 12 years at the same school, I'm tired of the bullshit. I'm starting at my new school monday.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    Hey Intel may very well stick the 802.11a/b/x chipset somewhere else, I was just restating what their chief of research was saying at a recent developer forum, that MEMS where the future for Intel and that they are working on integrating all kinds of communication and computations systems on a single chip. Here's one video for you, this guy is one smart dude...

<a href="http://video.cnet.com/cgi-bin/visearch?user=cnet_news&template=template.html&que ry=intel&submit=Go%21&page=2#" target="_blank">http://video.cnet.com/cgi-bin/visearch?user=cnet_news&template=template.html&que ry=intel&submit=Go%21&page=2#</a>

choose "Intel on expanding Moore's Law"
  • Reply 78 of 129
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    i see two tibook

a 867 mhz one and a 733 mhz one.

the design will have some minor improvement in order to make the tibook more strong

radeon 7500 in it

133 mhz mobo for all models

larger HD

bluetooth inside

The tibook is great, there is no need to make a major revision of it : just some necessary improvement.
  • Reply 79 of 129
  • Reply 80 of 129
    I would mortgage my house for a powerbook with those specs. What would you call it? Powerbook Titanium Valhalla? And why doesn't Apple, with all the functionality it has added to the iPod just come out with a PDA. Other than a graffiti pad and calendar the iPod is on its way.