T-Mobile CEO says frequency band issue is 'key reason' for lack of iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

You do realize that it is the US government that allows AT&T to "own" a monopoly on the standard GSM/3G frequencies in the US, right?

In other countries, multiple carriers use the same GSM/3G frequencies.

AT&T's failed acquisition of T-Mobile USA will change that.

If I recall correctly, the agreement stated that in the event that the merger fell through T-Mobile USA will receive cash as well as some spectrum allocation. Also, AT&T said there would be some roaming agreements between the two carriers.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Yet another lie.

The current Qualcomm chip in the iPhone 4S supports all 5 bands. Apple chose to only have the iPhone support 4 bands specifically leaving out T-Mobile US 3G support.

Are you certain? I thought the Qualcomm chip supported all 5 bands but the phone itself (or chipset as a whole) was only a quadband implementation for all the other RF receiver/transmitter and filter circuitry. I thought they that they traded band IV (1700/AWS) for band VIII (900/GSM).
  • Reply 23 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post

Well DUH - I mean WHO would have dreamed that T-Mobile's wacko 1700 MHz frequency for 3G was the problem?? I NEVER would have guessed...

Did they have a choice?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Liar.

T-Mobile USA is not making a push into 4G LTE because it was too cheap/poor to buy any of the spectrum. AT&T finally bought some of their from Qualcomm (who abandoned their idea of becoming a mobile operator). Sprint has grimly accepted the fact that WiMax has lost and is in the expensive process of transitioning to LTE for 4G after having sunk it so much capital into ClearWire's WiMax infrastructure.

T-Mobile USA is twiddling its thumbs, waiting for AT&T to kick free some excess spectrum frequency so it can proceed with LTE deployment, rather than trying to reharvest existing spectrum in heavily oversubscribed key markets (which doesn't help anyone outside of those market). In the mean time, T-Mo USA is giving up marketshare, seeing churn increase, and watching their margins continue to erode.

T-Mobile USA can't move fast because it has nowhere to go.

You guys keep saying T-Mobile is giving up market share, but the evidence doesn't support that. It added 126, 000 subscribers last quarter. Moreover, until recently 4G wasn't officially defined. HSPA+ (which T-Mobile uses) satisfied the definition for 4G (it might even still). Like Apple, T-Mobile has quite a few loyal customers, myself included. If it had an iPhone, I'd lock myself into a contract. Until then I will just used unlocked iPhones (and pay much less).

Further, for the last year T-Mobile was planning to be bought out, so investing in frequency would have made zero sense.

Since the AT&T deal is off the table, T-Mobile has 1) benefited from AT&T spectrum, and 2) has started to reposition spectrum. I'd be amazed if in 2012 T-Mobile doesn't get the iPhone. DT (T-Mobile's parent) is a big partner in Europe for Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvanleuvan View Post

Well, my wife would love it if the iPhone came to tmobile. She is a lifetime tmobile customer and gets a great price; but she has a my touch 4g that at least 4 times a day she yells at because it's a pile o junk! Just last night the screen would turn off 5 digits into dialing a phone number. It freezes constantly, it's super slow, like finish typing your sentence and watch it slowly appear, like an old selectric typewriter. I have to take the battery out at least once a day oh, and the battery life sucks, it nearly always dead or sitting on the charger, plus the touch screen is slightly inaccurate so browsing the web is frustrating.

Google navigation is really cool though, best feature on android IMO

She loves my 4s, it takes better pics than our old point & shoot (great for the kids) plus I go weeks without restarting it. it never freezes, and the battery lasts longer.

Just wish it had better NAV

get her an unlocked iPhone. I use it on T-Mobile and love it. I actually have a 3Gs and iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I thought the same thing until I saw that US Cellular plans on having the iPhone, too. there's no way US Cellular can commit to the same number of phones that T-Mobile could, let alone Sprint.

US Cellular has two things going for it. First, Apple doesn't have to make any changes to the phone for it to work. Two, it operates in an area where Sprint isn't a big contender.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Anyone think that it MIGHT be because T-Mobile cannot support the increased bandwidth? I mean, nobody uses their phones like iPhone users.

T-Mobile probably figures they won't capture a lot of market-share and they would have to deal with a doubling of usage.

Their target market is budget-conscious, so perhaps Android phones are good enough.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

You do realize that it is the US government that allows AT&T to "own" a monopoly on the standard GSM/3G frequencies in the US, right?

In other countries, multiple carriers use the same GSM/3G frequencies.

I've pointed this out many times, glad someone repeated it.

The US must go to general auction to 3-5 carriers, auctioning all standard world-frequencies. As it is now, it is anti-capitalist, pro-monopoly, anti-competitive and just hampering US tech and US companies.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Liar.

T-Mobile USA is not making a push into 4G LTE because it was too cheap/poor to buy any of the spectrum. AT&T finally bought some of their from Qualcomm (who abandoned their idea of becoming a mobile operator). Sprint has grimly accepted the fact that WiMax has lost and is in the expensive process of transitioning to LTE for 4G after having sunk it so much capital into ClearWire's WiMax infrastructure.

T-Mobile USA is twiddling its thumbs, waiting for AT&T to kick free some excess spectrum frequency so it can proceed with LTE deployment, rather than trying to reharvest existing spectrum in heavily oversubscribed key markets (which doesn't help anyone outside of those market). In the mean time, T-Mo USA is giving up marketshare, seeing churn increase, and watching their margins continue to erode.

T-Mobile USA can't move fast because it has nowhere to go.

T-Mobile is about to lose a long term customer over their lollygagging around. Though I don't like what I know about other networks and have had generally a good experience with T-Mobile, I do want an iphone and will go elsewhere if I need to get it. I've been month to month for a long time, thought the potential merger might get the iphone for me, but since that is off, it looks like move or do without. I don't like either option much but won't wait forever either for T-Mobile to get its act together.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Anyone think that it MIGHT be because T-Mobile cannot support the increased bandwidth? I mean, nobody uses their phones like iPhone users.

T-Mobile probably figures they won't capture a lot of market-share and they would have to deal with a doubling of usage.

Their target market is budget-conscious, so perhaps Android phones are good enough.

I won't go android, anything that is as prone to virus and malware as android is, isn't worth the trouble. I have my pc locked down tight but I don't want a phone I have to run a firewall, malware and antivirus on, all that would take up my 2GB allowance in a week, lol...
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genej101 View Post

I do want an iphone and will go elsewhere if I need to get it. I've been month to month for a long time,

Why do you think you need to go elsewhere?

Just buy an unlocked iPhone 3GS directly from Apple and stick in your T-Mobile SIM.

Easy as that.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

get her an unlocked iPhone. I use it on T-Mobile and love it. I actually have a 3Gs and iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile.

I thought that the iPhone wouldnt work on t mobile?

Hmm, might have to think about that, it would still be nice to get the subsidy though.

Does a iphone4 work on tmobile?

Thanks
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Hmm, might have to think about that, it would still be nice to get the subsidy though.

All iPhones work on T-Mobile. (I use a 3GS on T-Mobile.)

The issue is that Apple doesn't support the 1700MHz frequency needed for 3G data.

EDGE data and voice work just fine.

The only issue with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S is that they use micro SIMs. T-Mobile does provide micro SIMs to their stores, but not all store employees may be aware of that. Worst case you would have to cut a regular SIM to fit.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Thanks

I agree about the subsidy in the sense that it is nice to have choice. I have a friend on AT&T who upgrades his iPhones every year. I have bought his, unlocked them, and put them on T-Mobile. You actually still save money over two years if you bought the iPhones unlocked directly from Apple and signed up for a T-Moble's value plan, which are meant for people who bring their own phones to the Network so the plans are cheaper.

Yes, the iPhone absolutely works on T-Mobile. The voice service where I live (in Ann Arbor Michigan) is better on T-Mobile than AT&T. The iPhone, however, is stuck on T-Mobile's slower Edge data network, so if you rely on cellular data a lot that might frustrated you. That isn't a problem for me because I am on T-Mobile because I don't want a data plan. If I did however, they would be cheaper on T-Mobile. I rely entirely on wi-fi and Navigon (a GPS app that stores the maps on the phone).

On T-Mobile you can get a 2 line family plan with 1000 shared minutes and unlimited text with unlimited data (slowed down to edge speeds after 2 GB) for less than eighty dollars a month. The same plan on AT&T will cost you $145 a month. If you subtract the $398 in subsidies you'd pay AT&T, the total cost a month spread out over two years would be about $37 a month for two phones. So on T-Mobile your actual cost comes out to about $117 a month. Unlike on AT&T you can even make that cheaper if you are willing to get by with just wi-fi. For instance, I am on a $59.99 a month plan that includes 1000 shared minutes, unlimited text, and no data.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

T-Mobile is begging for the iPhone. The iPhone 4S doesn't support T-Mobile's 1700 high speed frequency. It would have been easy enough for Apple to support, but it made little sense for Apple to do so if T-Mobile wasn't going to be around anymore. Now that T-Mobile is sticking around, I would be amazed if the next version of the iPhone isn't T-Mobile ready. Apple could also do like it did with Verizon, release a pre iPhone 5 phone that also works with T-Mobile. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Sprint doesn't have some kind of exclusivity deal for 6 months.