Strong sales of iPhone 4S a precursor to 'monster' launch of redesigned 'iPhone 5'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 241
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I say Apple is back to the June announcement / July release. I often wonder if Apple waited until October for the 4S release so as to not have it on the market for long as Apple's top phone.

This !
  • Reply 102 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ah, ok, thanks.

Personally, I would think that Apple gains more from lowering the price of the air even further. They started at what, 1799? Now look, its 999 and with the assumption of 1.2M sold 'over the holiday buying season', they could 'make it up in volume' if they were to lower the price even further. The competition is already having a hard time offering their versions of unibody laptops, similar shaped and such at this price point. Many people still think Macs are more expensive. Perhaps Apple is able to make it even more clear, simply on price (right now Macs are simply cheaper because they last longer).

Me, I am thinking about buying an Air, even though I have zero need for it, already have an iPhone & iPad, I never work while commuting, always have internet available every time I visit someone and don't even like gloss! Now that's what I call magical! TM

I'm thinking of heading into the iMac with my next Mac purchase but I'll wait to see what the next round of MBPs bring us before committing.
  • Reply 103 of 241
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

While I agree it shouldn't be iPhone5, I'm not convinced it's gonna be iPhone6. You'll just get dummies asking "what happened to the iPhone5?" I think Apple kinda painted themselves into a corner here. They already fixed the naming problem caused by the oddly named 2nd Gen "3G" by calling the 3rd Gen "3GS". So the name and the phone were sync'ed for the 4th. Then they release the "4S". Whatever rationale Apple marketing had for "4S", will probably apply to naming the 6th gen the "5", the 7th gen "5S", the 8th "6", etc.

Or, they'll do what they did with MacOS. The next phone will be iPhone V.0 "Dingo", then iPhone V.1 "Coyote", iPhone V.2 "Timberwolf", etc. ad nauseum.

Hmm... I kinda like that idea. Hey Apple, I'll license this trademark to you for an advance of every new iPhone release.

It's really surprising to me how much you guys are invested in what Apple names its next iPhone, and the amount of hostility displayed toward anyone who disagrees (I don't mean you, MarquisMark - you're just the post I replied to). I don't think even Apple takes it as seriously as some on this forum.

Now, after criticizing you, I will now render my opinion It will be called the iPhone 5. Period. It's about marketing, not processor generation or phone generation or data transmission standard, or anything else geeks care about. 5 comes after 4, and they already have a 4/4s.
  • Reply 104 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
    3.5" 3:2 = 5.65" sq

3.7" 3:2 = 6.32" sq (11.8% more area)

4.0" 3:2 = 7.69" sq (36.1% more area)

Is 11% really worth wreaking havoc for Apple and 3rd-party devs?

If Apple comes up with a bigger phone I think its going to be 4".

But, if they do one at around 4.5" , they will do this only because they can still offer the 4s which provide a smaller phone choice. In 2013, they will have to produce a new 3.5" phone and also update the bigger one, depending on sales.

And the iPhone is in a much needed diet, it needs to get thinner and lighter to keep it fresh. I am expecting they will move to OLED this year to allow just that. I got a few comments from friends that it looks outdated, not good for a top of the line phone.
  • Reply 105 of 241
    Quote:

.....but they will update Xcode so you can idealize your app for the new dimensions.

XCode? 'Idealize?'

XCode updates are lazy crap put out by Apple. For instance, the move from XCode 3.xx to 4.xx (combined with the transition to Lion and iOS 5 around he same time) has been an unrelenting, time-wasting disaster in terms of backwards-compatibility.

I dread Apple's XCode updates following possible resolution/form factor changes.
  • Reply 106 of 241
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Actually, that was Mercury52's list.

Point stands.
  • Reply 107 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

But, if they do one at around 4.5" , they will do this only because they can still offer the 4s which provide a smaller phone choice. In 2013, they will have to produce a new 3.5" phone and also update the bigger one, depending on sales.

And the iPhone is in a much needed diet, it needs to get thinner and lighter to keep it fresh. I am expecting they will move to OLED this year to allow just that.

It could argued that the 3.5" 3:2 display footprint is what is allowing less engineered competitors to catch up and even overtake* Apple in some areas.

I agree with you on the 4". Reducing thickness and side bezel would still allow for the same all-important thumb sweep.

* Several are cheating by not including the camera hump adding several mm to the box dimensions.
  • Reply 108 of 241
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I would seriously be disappointed if they don't keep the 3.5" as I really don't want a bigger phone. What I would like is for the CMOS sensor have the same AR as the screen, one can hope.
  • Reply 109 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

And the iPhone is in a much needed diet, it needs to get thinner and lighter to keep it fresh. I am expecting they will move to OLED this year to allow just that. I got a few comments from friends that it looks outdated, not good for a top of the line phone.

Some people have said that there will be an iPhone Lite, but I think you've just filled that gap... the 4 and 4S will fill the iPhone Lite position (possibly updating the 4S in 2013) while the new phone will have a larger screen.
  • Reply 110 of 241
    Quote:

Some people have said that there will be an iPhone Lite, but I think you've just filled that gap... the 4 and 4S will fill the iPhone Lite position (possibly updating the 4S in 2013) while the new phone will have a larger screen.

and I am pretty confident they will end the 3GS this year.
  • Reply 111 of 241
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Starting to think? They've known for quite a while that Apple fans are willing to shell out for the latest, now whether that's stupid or not is purely subjective.

It costs a lot less than shelling out for the "latest" Android phone every couple of months.

2 year contract, 2 years with an iPhone works pretty well, I started on a 3G now I'm using a 4, I'll get whatever comes next no matter what it's called.

Do people whine when this years Porsche looks like last years Porsche?

It's the improvements on the inside that count, an unchanging external design gradually becomes iconic.

As far as screen size goes 3.5" is a very good compromise between viewability and comfortable access to the entire screen with one's thumb when using one handed in portrait mode.
  • Reply 112 of 241
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, yes, redesign, yes, yes, 5" screen. Yes, yes, LTE. Yes, yes, wider, thinner, and with an aluminum back; let's get this all out of the way.

Heh, welcome to being a mod. There will be at least several threads on the iPhone 5 per week all the way to its launch.

I might as well begin the countdown now:

9 Months, 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to iPhone5 Launch.

• Reply 113 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Heh, welcome to being a mod. There will be at least several threads on the iPhone 5 per week all the way to it's launch.

I might as well begin the countdown now:

6 Months, 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to iPhone5 Launch.

There... fixed that for you.
  • Reply 114 of 241
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I think 4" is nice. Not too cumbersome while being more appealing.
  • Reply 115 of 241
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX.

It'll be the i. Phone. 6.

SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX. SIX.

Does that make my point?

Uh, why? You have to have a good reason.
  • Reply 116 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Holy crap Melgross are you clinically insane?

No, unlike you, I can count.
  • Reply 117 of 241
    Quote:

His list doesn't show that. The only iPhone that was named directly for its generation was the iPhone 4.

The G1 iPhone was simple iPhone. The G2 iPhone was iPhone 3G denoting the generation of the baseband HW inside due to its common usage in marketing. The G3 iPhone with the same casing as the prior model kept this marketing tactic and added the 'S' for speed.

The iPhone 4 was for the 4th generation iPhone. The G5 iPhone added an 'S' which was never directly defined but followed the same pattern of the iPhone 3GS by being faster and keeping the same overall look as the previous model.

It therefore makes no sense for the G6 iPhone be called the iPhone 5 when nothing about it is 5th generation. Even iPhone 4G would make more sense than iPhone 5, but I'm betting on iPhone LTE at this point since LTE is more marketable and less confusing (even though customers don't know what it stands for), the chips should be decent in 2012, and even Sprint is deploying LTE this year. Really anything but iPhone 5 makes sense.

PS: You should retract your personal attack, Jonamac, or at least refer to the post, not the poster.

It has nothing to do with the generation at this point. It has to do with the fact that Apple has been using the basic body design for two generations of phone, and is naming them that way. The first phone doesn't count of course. The second one was named after the 3G phone service. But the 3GS, with the same body, was named that way because of, as Jobs put it: speed.

Then the next was the 4, with a new body. The next, wasn't the 5, it's the 4S. This follows the previous naming. There is no reason to believe that the next will be called the 6. Apple is clearly not naming the phones after the generation.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about here. Do you know what Apple considers to be their naming policy? I doubt if you do. I don't. But "5" seems to be a better bet than "6". Why would Apple skip a number here. That would be very strange at this point. And for marketing

Unposed alone, anything with a 4 would be out of date. If Apple keeps up with its two generation body designs, then moving to a5 and then a 5S, etc. would make sense.

The iPhone LTE might make sense if Apple is trying to make a big deal about that as they were about 3G. But we'll see. It's not such a big deal that people need to get nuts over it.
  • Reply 118 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Yep. That's exactly why I don't want it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

You'll just get dummies asking "what happened to the iPhone5?"

No one asked, "What happened to the iPhone 2?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, unlike you, I can count.

? ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

1 - iPhone

2 - iPhone 3G

3 - iPhone 3GS

4 - iPhone 4

5 - iPhone 4S

6 - Not iPhone 5

• Reply 119 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My Phil Schiller reaction image aside, let's go over my reasoning again.

"iPhone 5". What about the next iPhone would make ANYONE ON THE PLANET think it's going to be "5"?

Is it the 5th model? No, it's the 6th model.

Will it have an A5 chip? No, it will have an A6 chip.

Will it run iOS 5? No, it will run iOS 6.

Will it have 5G telephony? No, it will have 4G telephony.

So let's see, that's three points for "iPhone 6" and zero points for "iPhone 5".

Naming a product isn't always directly related to some arbitrary feature. Often, the name is obscure enough so that few people know what it refers to.

I believe, and I'm amazed at some of the venom here about this minor thing, that Apple has established a naming convention, and may want to keep to it. It's as likely as not that the body of the phone may establish that convention. If so, and the new phone has a bigger screen, and thus a new body, it could be named the "5". Most people aren't knowledgable about all of these features we discuss here. To them, the biggest difference would be a new body, and a larger screen. And therefor, Apple might want to go with that, after having named their last four phones in a way that looks, to most people, as having been named after the fact that the body has been kept for two generations.

If that resonated with consumers, then Apple may want to go with it. This is the only place I've seen so far that questions this. Perhaps some of you guys may be right. Maybe it will be called the 6, or maybe the 4x, it maybe the LTE. But none of those follows any scheme. They are almost random. And one thing you learn in advertising, is that consumers hate random. They want something predictable about their products. And I would imagine that if you asked most people, they would think the next phone will be named the 5.
  • Reply 120 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I think it's possible and not altogether unlikely that the next iPhone will largely stick with the same form factor. I don't think Apple are in the habit of changing things for changes sake

My two-word rebuttal: iPod Mini.