T-Mobile CTO says carrier may get next iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray claims that upcoming wireless chipsets would allow Apple to include the carrier's unique operating spectrum in the next iteration of the iPhone, which would finally bring the popular handset to nation's fourth-largest network, though quickly-advancing LTE rollouts by the top three telecoms may cause the Cupertino, Calif., company to completely bypass the frequency band altogether.

In an interview with CNET on Wednesday, T-Mobile Chief Technology Officer Neville Ray alluded to reportedly inside information in saying that Apple's next iPhone iteration may include a radio chipset capable of operating on the company's AWS network, meaning the number four U.S. cell carrier may finally get to sell the popular handset.

"The next chipset will support AWS," Ray said. "The challenge that existed in the past will go away."

All current and legacy iPhone models are incapable of communicating with T-Mobile's unique AWS spectrum band, which is used by only a few U.S. carriers like Cincinnati Bell and MetroPCS. Ray believes that this technical hurdle was to blame for keeping the iPhone away from T-Mobile's network.

Ray's statements come on the heels of those from Chief Executive Officer Philipp Humm, who said on Tuesday that the AWS frequency band was the "key reason" that the iPhone is not offered on the company's network.

Citing access to the roadmap of chipsets on the market, Ray said that Apple has the option to include AWS into an upcoming version of the smartphone, though is quick to state that the iPhone maker could completely ignore the older wireless protocol and continue without T-Mobile's business. The company later noted that Ray was not privy to Apple's plans, and thus his statements should be considered mere speculation.

Map of current HSPA+ T-Mobile coverage | Source: T-Mobile

Apple is expected to move to LTE, the wireless standard which AT&T, Verizon and Sprint are currently in the process of rolling out. Ray commented that T-Mobile could deploy LTE in certain areas, and the carrier will continue to aggressively improve its existing infrastructure by concentrating on HSPA+, which the company dubs as "4G."

The news comes during T-Mobile's recovery after an deal was scrapped in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray claims that upcoming wireless chipsets would allow Apple to include the carrier's unique operating spectrum in the next iteration of the iPhone, which would finally bring the popular handset to nation's fourth-largest network, though quickly-advancing LTE rollouts by the top three telecoms may cause the Cupertino, Calif., company to completely bypass the frequency band altogether.

Uh, no.

9to5mac.com's Seth Weintraub has posted the following correction:

"Update: Reports that T-Mobile knows Apple’s chipset roadmap are false I’ve confirmed with T-Mobile’s PR department. Ray only said that Apple could choose to use Chips that are AWS compatible, which is obvious."

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/11/t-mobi...ne-compatible/

T-Mobile USA knows nothing about Apple's plans.

Note that Apple is not required to implement every single component's full functionality. For cellular connectivity, Apple would have to include additional circuitry (power amps, RF filters) and alter its software to enable use of the AWS band. Another example: the Broadcom wireless chipset in the current iPhone, previous iPhone and current iPod touch support FM radio reception, but that functionality has not been implemented.

Heck, any executive from any mobile operator that currently does not have the iPhone could say the same thing. It is a meaningless comment at this time.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think Verizon also made public claims about how it's all up to Apple. And Verizon had anti-Apple campaigns, while T-Mo USA only had campaigns that show the iPhone beleaguered on a crappy network.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Leave it to AppleInsider to misquote a beleaguered CEO trying to make vague remarks to improve his image as FACT.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Note that Apple is not required to implement every single component's full functionality. For cellular connectivity, Apple would have to include additional circuitry (power amps, RF filters) and alter its software to enable use of the AWS band. Another example: the Broadcom wireless chipset in the current iPhone, previous iPhone and current iPod touch support FM radio reception, but that functionality has not been implemented.

I recall the iPhone 4 was the 2nd smartphone to include a pentaband 3G baseband (bested by Nokia) with the FCC showing that all 5 bands were indeed tested, yet they only ever had 4 of the 5 activated for the consumer market. I think it was Japan's largest mobile network provider the 5th band would have been for and I believe that carrier still doesn't have the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    What are the odds of MetroPCS ever coming to the iPhone? I only pay $37 a month for unlimited minutes and texts. Right now for work I use an iPod touch, a digital camera, and my Kyocera cell phone, but with an iPhone, I would be able to have all of those devices in one device. I am waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out before making a decision. If they do not come out for MetroPCS then I guess I will have to choose between the available carriers, none of which stand out to me.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I recall the iPhone 4 was the 2nd smartphone to be pentaband (bested by Nokia) with the FCC showing that all 5 bands were indeed tested, yet they only ever had 4 of the 5 activated for the consumer market. I think it was Japanese largest mobile network provider the 5th band would have been for and I believe that carrier still doesn't have the iPhone.

Yes, that sounds right. I think NTT DoCoMo operates on that fifth frequency.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I expect the next iPhone to be offered on T-Mobile's network. Apple will bend them over just like they did Sprint and get them to commit to buying a large number of iPhones that will make this deal a no brainer... for Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

What are the odds of MetroPCS ever coming to the iPhone? I only pay $37 a month for unlimited minutes and texts. Right now for work I use an iPod touch, a digital camera, and my Kyocera cell phone, but with an iPhone, I would be able to have all of those devices in one device. I am waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out before making a decision. If they do not come out for MetroPCS then I guess I will have to choose between the available carriers, none of which stand out to me.

The problem with MetroPCS is that they never built a 3G data network. Even though they are slowly deploying 4G LTE, they do not have a fallback 3G network in places of 4G poor coverage/reception.

It may be several years before MetroPCS lands the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Leave it to AppleInsider to misquote a beleaguered CEO trying to make vague remarks to improve his image as FACT.

No, a bunch of other Apple bloggers bungled this story too because it was based on one poorly written, unsubstantiated post. It wasn't just AppleInsider.

Garbage in, garbage out.

This illustrates one of the pitfalls of social media and blogging in general. The quest for the Almighty Pageview trumps the now-archaic practice of substantiating and verifying facts before publication. Journalism is dead.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    That is one oddly-shaped coverage zone just north of Vancouver.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I don't want them to.

T-Mobile remains the last bastion of intelligence (er? relative. They've been pretty stupid about the process of getting the iPhone?) in the nation.

Once T-Mobile officially has the iPhone, they'll force data plans, just like everyone else. Heck, they might even force them on the people running unlocked on their networks already.