Target confirms it will open 25 Apple store-within-a-store outlets this year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't think this "store in a store" thing is a good idea, I often see people avoiding that whole area, including the sales staff. I remember when they started the idea way back with CompUSA, and that wasn't very successful either, I know I worked there.

True, it wasn't because, according to Apple, CompUSA was staffed up by salespeople who tried to steer customers towards Windows PC. I remember visiting the CompUSA Apple section and finding it devoid of life, back in 2001. It's a big part of why Apple chose to control the retail experience instead of leaving it in the hands of some smart-mouthed teen who believed Macs weren't cool enough because they didn't have 3dfx cards in them or something.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Target will probably have an Apple aisle with nice signage and their employees will pull the Macbook out of the case, the way they do with iPads, and have you purchase it immediately. Apple is well known for having quality products with no salesperson required. Some Target stores are in upscale locations and already have large electronic departments with expensive items. They have a lot of security cameras that feed a central location and check inventory everyday. This will be a very convenient to pick-up a Macbook. This would also work at JC Penney.

I'd probably opt to buy Apple products at Target rather than an Apple Store around here. Good luck on getting hold of a sales rep at the Apple Store at Irvine Spectrum in Irvine. That place always seem to be so packed that people are constantly swarming each rep.

The Mission Viejo Apple Store is far less packed, but I am never at that mall.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I'd probably opt to buy Apple products at Target rather than an Apple Store around here. Good luck on getting hold of a sales rep at the Apple Store at Irvine Spectrum in Irvine. That place always seem to be so packed that people are constantly swarming each rep.

The Mission Viejo Apple Store is far less packed, but I am never at that mall.

There is one Target employee on the sales floor per acre. At least with Apple you can use their website or iOS to reserve products, make an appointment ahead of time, or even buy a product in the store without ever dealing with an Apple employee. If you do none of these things you can still use one of the 50(?) iPod kioskelles to get into a queue that draws an employee to your station.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't think this "store in a store" thing is a good idea, I often see people avoiding that whole area, including the sales staff. I remember when they started the idea way back with CompUSA, and that wasn't very successful either, I know I worked there.

i remember it well. I was awful. The only worse experience was when sears sold apple products. They were seldom on or didn't work at all, the units were dirty and sales people were non existant or peddled windows boxes.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is one Target employee on the sales floor per acre. At least with Apple you can use their website or iOS to reserve products, make an appointment ahead of time, or even buy a product in the store without ever dealing with an Apple employee. If you do none of these things you can still use one of the 50(?) iPod kioskelles to get into a queue that draws an employee to your station.

I am frequently at Target which is why I would be totally cool with a mini-Apple Store inside one. The queue and making an appointment is very hit-and-miss at the Irvine Spectrum Apple Store. I am not saying all Apple Stores are like that, just that one in particular.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

i remember it well. I was awful. The only worse experience was when sears sold apple products. They were seldom on or didn't work at all, the units were dirty and sales people were non existant or peddled windows boxes.

Sears is all about peddling their Kenmore appliances. Their electronics section is always in poor shape anytime I visited one.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Target has separate staff behind a showcase with a cash register for the electronics department. You might have to wait for them to finish with another customer, but it seems adequate. One probably shops at Target with a lower expectation, but overall, just like a 7-11, it's convenient and faster then my very busy Apple store nearby. (My city won't allow a Target.)
  • Reply 28 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Target has separate staff behind a showcase with a cash register for the electronics department. You might have to wait for them to finish with another customer, but it seems adequate. One probably shops at Target with a lower expectation, but overall, just like a 7-11, it's convenient and faster then my very busy Apple store nearby. (My city won't allow a Target.)

I'm not saying that there aren't inherent benefits to certain stores in certain areas for certain shoppers at certain time, just pointing out that getting assistance at Apple is easy.

One thing you can't say about Apple is that they trying to keep you from buying their products. Over the last two months they've had a table by the door staffed constantly with popular products ready to carry out. No having a staff member run to the back during the holiday season. This may not be all stores but I think it's most of them.

For me it's even easier as an Apple Store is block away from my residence. I can walk there faster than people can walk from their car in the Target parking lot to the electronics section of the store.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

I....I can walk there faster than people can walk from their car in the Target parking lot to the electronics section of the store.

Parking is part of my point. Almost all of these "big box" stores have parking lots. There might be, but I have never seen an Apple store with segregated parking. The historic buildings don't have parking and mail parking lots require a walk (or roll).
  • Reply 30 of 35
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That'd be awesome if the Apple Store within Target was treated like an entirely different country, like an embassy on foreign soil. The customer would have to complete their Apple Store purchase before entering the Target store.

Customers must purchase from Apple before being allowed to shop at Target
  • Reply 31 of 35
    That said, the only way I see this tarnishing the Apple brand is if the consumer ends up hating their Apple purchase.

IMHO, the origin of the employee's W2 doesn't really matter.

What does matter is whether or not the customer is properly informed about their Apple purchase. The the real value of Apple's stand alone retail stores is relevant information given out by quality personnel.

As long as Apple mandates that the product is represented correctly, as a longtime stockholder, see no real threat to the brand.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

For me it's even easier as an Apple Store is block away from my residence. I can walk there faster than people can walk from their car in the Target parking lot to the electronics section of the store.

Apple Stores are generally in shopping malls in my area. Target's parking lot would be a lot easier than hunting for spots in parking garages and dealing with stairs/escalators/elevators.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    At the risk of sounding pompous, I've always prided myself in knowing more than the knuckleheads at Fry's or even the Apple Store. It's thanks to sites like these and detailed Internet searching that i can be more knowledgeable than they. Now if it's about their inventory or store processes, obviously I can't know that.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple certified and trained sure. Actual Apple employees on Apple's payroll, benefits etc unlikely. It doesn't benefit either side to have it that way.

Get a paycheck stub from one of those people and see what company is on it. I'll bet that it says Best Buy. Same as the Apple Certified Techs in the Geek Squad. They aren't Apple employees either, they are Best Buy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has a similar relationship with Best Buy as cosmetic companies have with department stores like Macys. For instance, when you go to the Calvin Klein fragrance Department at Macys the employees working that stand work for Macys. They, however, are trained by the vendor, work only at the vendors station, and the vendor reimburses Macys at least part of the employees' salary. Macys also has floaters that will go to various cosmetic counters to help when extra help is needed or when the employee assigned to the vender is off. I used to be such an employee. I would get a Macys' paycheck (that Macys would get reimbursed for), and also a commission check directly from the company. Some employees like those working the big named cosmetic booths made over a hundred thousand dollars a year ringing up cosmetic sales. The annoying people that try to spray you with fragrance work directly for the cosmetic companies as well and are considered independent contractors.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think this is a good idea. I go to both Walmart and Target occasionally. Both Stores have Android tablets out for customers to play with. Apple products are stuck behind plastic, and as such, don't get played with. People who buy Apple products in places like Target and Walmart likely came in the store to buy them and are not buying them because they played with the product in the Store and love it.

The opposite is probably true for Android based products like the Nook and Kindle. I have repeatedly witnessed Target and Walmart employees steering people away from the iPad to a Kindle or Nook, saying something like, "I have this and it does just about everything the iPad does."

Apple needs loyal people pushing its products. Further, people should be able to play with Apple's products in those stores.