Rumor: Sharp's IGZO display didn't make the cut for Apple's third-gen iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Maybe your missing a terminology thing. The architecture of an ARM CPU is the set of instructions and basic circuit requirements for each instruction. I believe there is probably some form of generic core functionality layout available too. Having an architectural level license allows the holder to make changes and modifications to that core, both because it's legal and because the have the tools and documentation to do so. I'm pretty sure Qualcomm is one of the published ARM architectural licensees, Apple is only rumored to be (but I think they are).

That is different from just licensing a chip design for fabrication, which can also be done through ARM and then pick the fab to contract the actual production of the ready-made design. Or you could operate like many of the SoC operators and license the ARM CPU design, plop it on your SoC layout and then design the rest of the system to fit on the remainder the same silicon die. I believe the A4 was very much this latter type of chip, A5 and follow on more like the previous paragraphs version.

From what I understand Apple's chips aren't Cortex either but similar to what Qualcomm licenses from ARM but the results so far seem to be more inline with the standard Cortex than the Snapdragon SoCs that Qualcomm builds.

edit: I found this...
    Quote:

Whereas chip designers like Samsung and Texas Instruments (TI) license the architecture for ARM’s Cortex cores, Qualcomm designed their own ARM-compatible cores.

In current generation SoCs, Qualcomm uses the Scorpion core instead of Cortex-A8. They license the ARM instruction set, so the chips remain compatible at the user level, but running the enhanced Scorpion core means more bang-for-the-buck when actually using a phone.

• Reply 62 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From what I understand Apple's chips aren't Cortex either but similar to what Qualcomm licenses from ARM but the results so far seem to be more inline with the standard Cortex than the Snapdragon SoCs that Qualcomm builds.

edit: I found this...

That's the impression that I get is that you have off the shelf ARM products from a lot of companies and then you have custom designed chips from Texas Ins (OMAP) , Qualcomm Snapdragon and Apple Ax series.

Apple likely acquired Intrinsity and PA Semi for their expertise in power management and other areas. The Ax series has a bright future.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it Qualcomm doesn't buy the CPU cores architecture licenses from ARM but create their own. This has given them an intermediary advantage as Krait does have many aspects and similarities of the upcoming Cortex-A15 but it's more aptly defined as a Cortex-A9 on steroids. It might even best the Cortex-A15 when it finally arrives but based on passed experience and the fact that Crotex-A15 has a longer dev cycle Krait will likely be inferior to Cortex-A15. One thing is for certain, dual-core Krait will best quad-core Cortex-A9 in every relevant way.

Yeah, you're right. I read from a few sources that the S4 was indeed the same design as the A15, but looking a little more into it, it seems it isn't.

Qualcomm is touting the same specs as ARM is for the Cortex-A15, so as far as which is quickest we'll have to wait and see. Either way, next-generation chips are beginning to roll out right now. Can't wait to see the new Exynos chipset, what Apple comes up with, and of course the A15.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Yeah, you're right. I read from a few sources that the S4 was indeed the same design as the A15, but looking a little more into it, it seems it isn't.

Qualcomm is touting the same specs as ARM is for the Cortex-A15, so as far as which is quickest we'll have to wait and see. Either way, next-generation chips are beginning to roll out right now. Can't wait to see the new Exynos chipset, what Apple comes up with, and of course the A15.

The S4 isn't a Cortex A15 from what i've seen. I saw a breakdown of the chipsets on Anandtech and what stood out was the S4 had roughly 8 or 9 pipeline stages. The Cortex A15 is supposed to have 15 or so pipeline stages allowing it to clock up to 2.5Ghz. It also has up to 4MB of L2 cache.