Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn settles with protesting employees

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Let them jump. These workers are lucky that I'm not their employer. Is anybody forcing anybody to work there? Threatening mass suicide is a pathetic thing to do, and I would've let them try and do it, to see if they could back up their lame threat with action, and not just talk.

This story is also kind of funny, because it's one of the few times where there is a story about Foxconn, and Apple has nothing to do with it.

I remember reading about how the suicide rate at Foxconn was lower than that of the general population, so even with a mass suicide, and 50 Chinese offing themselves, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference, statistically speaking.

You're vitriol and lack of sensitivity is so astounding I have to question if we are of the same species..
  • Reply 22 of 47
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What an awful thing to say!

What's awful is certain people who constantly whine about Foxconn and Apple from time to time. Last I checked, we're not talking about slave labor here, and nobody forces anybody to work there. The wages are in line with what people make in China I believe, so I see no reason for anybody to complain.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

What will these people do when Foxconn replaces them all with robots?

If Foxconn had the ability to replace the workers with robots don't you think they would have already done so?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

What's awful is certain people who constantly whine about Foxconn and Apple from time to time. Last I checked, we're not talking about slave labor here, and nobody forces anybody to work there. The wages are in line with what people make in China I believe, so I see no reason for anybody to complain.

I want to retract my earlier statement that the podcast is funny. It only started out that way. When you get really into (t)his story, understand what is going on in that factory, it isn't funny at all. People died while this Mike Daisey person was over there, because some were pulling 34-hour shifts. The living conditions are horrific. They have 11-year olds working there. Forced, no. Necessary, well, families who are hungry.

Yes Apple ][, maybe the wages are inline, maybe they aren't enslaved. But if you are able to open your mind, and truly understand how these people are living their lives, working under these conditions, you would understand that it is bad. So bad, I wish nobody had to endure this. And that includes you. Because I love people. Without them, I'd be alone.

And without an iPhone. But that is not a thing that matters in life. Life does.

Philippe

PS If you feel like replying, please do it in an personal message, and leave this thread on topic, even though I may have digressed.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Let them jump. These workers are lucky that I'm not their employer. Is anybody forcing anybody to work there? Threatening mass suicide is a pathetic thing to do, and I would've let them try and do it, to see if they could back up their lame threat with action, and not just talk.

I'm sure your bosses would think you were such a genius for calling their bluff. I'm sure they would especially be impressed if someone did kill themselves, and you were still so heartless.

But I'm mostly sure, you've never really managed that many thousands of workers in China before.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    The only reason they drag Apple's name into such articles is that there is a chance Apple will show some concern. No such chance with MS under Balmer.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    People in this forum act like these workers are idiots, they knew exactly what sort of reaction they would get in the media just by threatening suicide. I doubt anybody had the intention of jumping. The intention was pretty clear, draw media attention to put the company in poor light.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Americans will at most walk in small concentric circles carrying home made sign with semi-clever quips on a sticks or simply invade some public place, start a drum circles and take turns using the Starbuck's bathroom, but the the Chinese are hardcore.

The huge difference here is that the Chinese workers Weill actually work. Most of those people using the Starbucks bathroom have never actually worked a day in their life. Sure they ave "Occupied" jobs but that isn't the same thing as actually working. There is a vast difference between useless people in the USA protesting their inability to find work and people in china actually trying to improve their lives.

Quote:

Seriously though, I can't even begin to imagine what these people go through if they think mass suicide is a viable solution.

They don't go through anything that any other worker worldwide doesn't go through. The difference is that they are learning to manipulate the media. This can be good or bad, depending on he direction they take.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    I know of at least a couple of cases where manufactures transferring production lines to china where told to leave the automation here. The preference in china is to try to employ as many people as possible. It should be pretty obvious why this is the case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

If Foxconn had the ability to replace the workers with robots don't you think they would have already done so?

Nope. However it is also a mistake not to believe that Automation isn't used in these plants. Some things these days aren't practicle to do without automation, however where possible humans are used in great numbers.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

It was an exceedingly stupid move to respond to this manipulation by the workers.

Quote:

This story is also kind of funny, because it's one of the few times where there is a story about Foxconn, and Apple has nothing to do with it.

I remember reading about how the suicide rate at Foxconn was lower than that of the general population, so even with a mass suicide, and 50 Chinese offing themselves, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference, statistically speaking.

You know over the years I've had the unfortunate experience of knowing people that offed themselves or tried too right here in the USA. Funny how nothing of note is said in the media about the places they worked. This excessive focus on a few suicides in china is morbid and frankly a form of trolling of the media by the left.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Let them jump. These workers are lucky that I'm not their employer. Is anybody forcing anybody to work there? .

Really, This is the level of your compassion? We're you abused as a child? It is hard enough to imagine a human being can be so callous about another, but to take the time to publicly demonstrate it is astounding. Looks like you may be CEO material, or maybe your just ignorant to the facts. I truly do hope the best for you.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Chinese manufacturing partner Foxconn has settled a dispute with plant workers who threatened mass suicide over wages and working conditions at the company's Wuhan factory which produces Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console. [...]

Glad to hear it's been resolved. Would have hated to see that particular definition of "Red Ring of Death."
  • Reply 32 of 47
    In case any one wonders, suicide is a crime in US. My friend left a note about killing himself after major loss in stock trade; and, he was arrested.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Shouldn't' it say Microsoft's manufacturing partner settles with employees? After all it's an X-Box plant not an iPhone factory.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In its official statement, the company noted that most of the approximately 150 protestors had accepted the proposed terms and have returned to work

In other news, the other 429,850 FoxConn workers are expected to go on strike on Monday.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

In other news, the other 429,850 FoxConn workers are expected to go on strike on Monday.

They should have over 1.3 million workers right now.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Americans will at most walk in small concentric circles carrying home made sign with semi-clever quips on a sticks or simply invade some public place, start a drum circles and take turns using the Starbuck's bathroom, but the the Chinese are hardcore.

Seriously though, I can't even begin to imagine what these people go through if they think mass suicide is a viable solution.

Collective Bargaining taken to the extreme. Too bad that wouldn't work in Wisconsin. Governor Scott Walker would probably encourage the suicides.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Is anybody forcing anybody to work there?

No if they want they can choose for them and their family's to starve to death due to having no money.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    melevmelev Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Shouldn't' it say Microsoft's manufacturing partner settles with employees? After all it's an X-Box plant not an iPhone factory.

Yes, but is Foxconn, the same company that makes iPhone and other Apple products, which means a hot potato for public relations departments of companies that have dealings with them. Are Microsoft, Apple or otherwise.

A couple of months ago I spoke with a Mexican who told me that a factory of this country was bought by Foxconn, when they tried to change the working conditions to be equivalent to the factory in China they discovered that the Mexicans are not the Chinese, mexicans protest, a lot. At the end Foxconn withdrew its intentions or at least the majority.

From this we can deduce that the working conditions of their factories is not located in just a couple of factories, company policy

I think things like this do much harm to the image of the companies that are related to Foxconn, the company is to be, and they should think about whether they are worth paying so little for their products in exchange for bad press.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Actually, they did when they wrote that Microsoft is a client.

But they used a headline that referenced Apple, implying that this protest linvolved workers for that client, not one of the others. Which was in fact the truth
  • Reply 40 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Really, This is the level of your compassion? We're you abused as a child? It is hard enough to imagine a human being can be so callous about another, but to take the time to publicly demonstrate it is astounding. Looks like you may be CEO material, or maybe your just ignorant to the facts. I truly do hope the best for you.

Apple ][ is one of two things:

1- He's an unhappy, divorced (if he ever got married) person who is estranged from his children (if he ever had them), with no friends because he has repulsed them off with his know-it-all and condescending attitude. Honestly- who would want to be around that type of mentality.

2- He's doing this as a bit.

I used to hate Apple's posts and think him as an oblivious #1 (i.e.- I'm better than everyone else, thats why no one will be around me- they're intimidated). But the more he posts, I think it's #2- it's all a bit. In which case, Apple ][ became my favorite poster on here and is a genius. He knows just how to pull someone offsides and say something so ludicrous it elicits a response. It has to be a bit. So heres to you Apple ][! I like you now