Apple expands beyond Cupertino with large Sunnyvale lease

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Has construction actually started on the spaceship? How far along are they? Just land clearing or is there the beginnings of any structure?

Nah, it's still all on paper. There's no physical activity yet.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I wish I could work for Apple. I'm a CS major and in two years I'll be graduating with a Master's degree. But it seems Apple wants people with experience, how am I supposed to have experience when I'm a new grad that can't find a job \

Internship?

Or get a job somewhere else and after you have a few years of experience, apply at Apple. As a matter of fact, that probably how 98% of Apple's engineers got there.

There's a lot more to being a good individual contributor than a mortarboard. Apple knows this. Anyone can talk the talk, they just want to see you walk the walk. Competition is fierce for top-tier engineering talent in Silicon Valley, but Apple has a long history of growing their engineering employee ranks very slowly.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCupertinoMDN View Post

You sounds like one of the current "Apple Insiders" or past Apple employee.

Nope. I have never worked at Apple.

I have worked at other nearby high tech companies, one of which used to be on the Fortune 500. What I wrote is no trade secret. All the big, growing high tech companies are constantly doing the office deck chair shuffle whether they be some giant like HP, Oracle, Google, etc. or someone smaller like Drobo.

You have X workgroups in a bunch of office buildings, each facility with a maximum capacity. Some groups grow, some groups shrink, others might be split off, some combined.

I've worked in some groups that were growing so fast that a few people wouldn't unpack most of their move boxes. They'd just pile them up in their cubicle, figuring that we'd be moving in six months anyhow.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't forget Bandley...

Haven't been in Cupertino for ages -- Does Apple still occupy the "Taco Towers" building on De Anza?

I dunno, I don't get to that strip of road often. Maybe it's been ten years?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Apple is most likely using this property to house employees temporarily. I am going to assume that this property among other is where they will place employees that work in the buildings that need to be demolished to construct the new campus. Once built, they will shuffle them all back over to Apple Campus 2...possibly hold on to the buildings for construction of Apple Campus 3...wherever that will be.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    There are no Apple employees currently working at the proposed "spaceship" campus site.

Would you care to revise your comment?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    On part of the property, yes, there ARE Apple employees currently working. The area north of Pruneridge Avenue is not what I was referring to (where a bulk of the building will be...this was part of the recent purchase from HP). I should have said the area on the south of Pruneridge Avenue, which Apple has been purchasing little by little for many years. This will be the areas where the power plant, parking structure, and large green space will be adjacent to the apartment complex that would not sell themselves to Apple.

They need to shift employees out of that area temporarily to make way for the new campus.

Some of those buildings are:

Ridgeview One

Ridgeview Nine

Ridgeview Eight

Tantau One

Tantaut Two

etc
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Above post

And that's not even half of the land on which the Infinite Loop will be built.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Below image may help to explain a bit better...The area on the north side is currently occupied by HP, buildings on the south side are currently occupied by Apple employees...which need to move to new office spaces for a couple years until the new building is ready.

• Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGuy85 View Post

Guh, I wish they would have been able to get that apartment complex.