Morgan Stanley: Apple's next iPhone to be slimmer, may include quad-mode LTE chip

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Ruling"? It's a company. They have absolutely no legal control over anything they say. Apple can do whatever the frick they want.

Um what? Of course they have all the legal control over anything they say, it's THEIR network. Apple can do what they want, but ultimately Verizon decides what uses it's network, sorry. If Apple for some reason did want to do CDMA only again, VZ could say no and there's nothing Apple could do about it. Likely? of course not. Now, Verizon did reiterate that LTE point pretty well here at CES (I'm actually here), so that pretty much tells iPhone 6 would have LTE.

Verizon is very actively working on VoLTE. They want to start planning the sunset of CDMA entirely.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is Katy Huberty's analysis. Her track record is worse than Digitimes.

Whatever Katy predicts, the odds are that it won't happen. Her reliability is comically bad.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Also, tomorrow the sky "may" be blue in colour.

I had the same reaction, but then I realized that the fault lies with the AI headline and not the analyst in this case. The analyst said (apparently) "the next iPhone WILL..." I don't know why the headline watered that down since it attributes the statement to Morgan Stanley.

I wonder if it will be thinner by the .2mm that Corning was bragging about with their Gorilla Glass 2
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Apple can do what they want, but ultimately Verizon decides what uses it's network, sorry.

You're joking, right?

Quote:

If Apple for some reason did want to do CDMA only

GSM, you mean.

Quote:

VZ could say no and there's nothing Apple could do about it.

No, there's not a single thing Verizon could do about it.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Funny. in the ancient times of computer industry, there were "IBM watchers", trying to decipher Big blue strategy, and to anticipate the next move. Seems they are recycled into Apple watchers ... Even though, as financial analysts, they do not seem to me very qualified for this ... But well, in this particular occasion, they do not take many risks, do they ?

Even better - notice that this is the cited analyst's *job*. She went to Asia, saw some things that she isn't giving evidence of, drew some conclusions...and ge's paid to do this. IOW, just what everyone here on AI could do, given someone show them some vague shiat in Asia.

Then, it gets better - people pay the company she works for to give this "advice" to them so they can plan their portfolio. And we wonder why the financial markets crashed.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Does this mean this chip would also work with T-Mobile in the US or not?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    The title of the article is misleading. Take out the colon, substitute the word "speculates" and you're telling the truth.

Also, who taught this woman to write? Her phrases are more couched, convoluted and ambiguous than a central bankers. I realize we're only reading very small snippets and her audience may appreciate her phrases but if I were paying for these reports I'd be asking her to farm it out to a copy editor.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

Er, first, Quad MODE. Second, T-Mobile has no LTE, so no, it won't work for that. Third, if this chip allows the 1700MHz band alongside the 2(4?)00MHz band, we MIGHT see T-Mobile 3G.

But what good is that, really?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Thinner and bigger don't necessarily mean better, unless your perspective is entirely unsophisticated. The IP4/S form factor is nearly perfect, and I think it could last another few generations. (It may not, but it could.) We all know the downsides of bigger -- i.e., the phone becomes a pain to carry around and use -- but, thinner, at least siginificantly thinner, which might sound like a good thing, isn't really either.

Use as a camera has become a really big deal with smartphones, but, if they get significantly thinner, they'll become a pain to use as a camera. A significantly thinner IP4/S would start to become difficult to work with as a camera. The current form factor, with flat sides works very well in this regard.

Although I agree that the flat sides of the iPhone 4/S are better for taking photos, I disagree with you in that the form-factor being "near perfect".

Personally, I thought the iPhone3gs was the best form-factor with regards all-around use as a smartphone. I liked the curved back that cupped your hand perfectly. The current iPhone form-factor has too sharp of edges, it's really too thin IMHO and I have to have a case in order to hold it comfortably. I never had a case for my iPhone 3g/s.

I think the screen size needs work though. After using my iPad for almost a year now, I would prefer a screen that's a bit larger on the phone. Not much bigger; I'd take 4.8" over the current 3.5"

It's my hope that apple's next iPhone (6th Gen.) would look more like the iPod Touch form-factor with a bigger screen size. IMO that would be closer to perfect for me. To me, thinner is not better. give me lighter, larger screen, and better battery life. Heck you can even make it a bit thicker and I'd be fine with that.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The only thing I really hope they don't do, which I would see as a terrible "mistake" is to make it look like a little iPad (as in 90% of all the iPhone 5 mockups), with the sharp edges, and being so thin that it would be hard to hold. That is an iPhone that I simply would not buy and I don't think I'm alone on that.

I thought the same thing until i got an iPad. If you bothered to look, the current iPod touch has the same form factor as the iPad as well. The "sharp" edges you speak of aren't as sharp as you think. The bezel of the screen curves downward to the metal and makes a nice smooth edge. I'd like to the see the next iPhone like this but a tad thicker with a 4.8" screen...see my above post for more info.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

... I think the screen size needs work though. After using my iPad for almost a year now, I would prefer a screen that's a bit larger on the phone. Not much bigger; I'd take 4.8" over the current 3.5" ...

4.8" is a ridiculous size for a phone screen.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Indeed. 4.8" is completely unusable.

I have huge hands, see, and in landscape mode on a phone that big, I can't even reach the center bottom of the screen, much less the center top.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Agreed.

And although my friend's Touch is sexy-cool in its thinness, it sort of freaks me out, too. It took me a bit of time to get used to the form factor of the 4S after having used the 3GS for so long, but now it's just perfect.

If they made it thinner by any appreciable amount, I don't think I would like it.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

You're joking, right?

Not at all. As I recall it's happened before with the iPhone, oops. It's also happened for the same reason with the initial run of the GSII, Blackberry Storm 3, and others.

Quote:

GSM, you mean.

Have some more coffee, Verizon is CDMA only without LTE, as is the case with the current 4/4S, so no, I meant what I said the 1st time.

Quote:

No, there's not a single thing Verizon could do about it.

No, Verizon still decides what phones it approves for its network and there's not a single thing Apple can do about that.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Have some more coffee, Verizon is CDMA only without LTE, as is the case with the current 4/4S, so no, I meant what I said the 1st time.

Ah, you said 'again'; I figured you meant 'return to GSM-only'.

Quote:

No, Verizon still decides what phones it approves for its network and there's not a single thing Apple can do about that.

Other than, you know, decide not to sell the iPhone on Verizon's network. Then we'd see who's really in charge.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:

Thinner and bigger don't necessarily mean better, unless your perspective is entirely unsophisticated. The IP4/S form factor is nearly perfect, and I think it could last another few generations. (It may not, but it could.) We all know the downsides of bigger -- i.e., the phone becomes a pain to carry around and use -- but, thinner, at least siginificantly thinner, which might sound like a good thing, isn't really either.

Use as a camera has become a really big deal with smartphones, but, if they get significantly thinner, they'll become a pain to use as a camera. A significantly thinner IP4/S would start to become difficult to work with as a camera. The current form factor, with flat sides works very well in this regard.

I agree that we've pretty much reached the limit of thin. You need a certain amount of depth to enable decent camera optics and allow electronics and battery to exist behind the screen. The current model of iPod touch is simply too small to sport a decent camera or a battery that can survive a whole day of wireless connectivity. I had one lose 20% of its battery in under 4 hours yesterday just sitting on my desk with the screen off because it happened to have WiFi turned on.

I disagree that the iPhone 4 form factor is perfect. The 3GS feels 100x better in my hand because it doesn't have sharp corners. The iPhone 4 feels like a small brick to me.

I'd also like a larger screen and have strong evidence that others feel the same way. Looking around the subway there are a lot of Android phones with 4.3" screens being held in tiny Asian hands. If they can cope with the size then anyone can. I also see iPhones in cute silicone cases that sometimes increase the overall dimensions of the iPhone by as much as 50% - 3" long bunny ears, Hello Kitty, anime style aliens, etc.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Thank heavens! I had been anxiously awaiting "Investment bank Morgan Stanley? to tell me about the physical shape of my next phone.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Most vendors expect Microsoft to provide free apps or even products to stimulate demand if necessary," she said.

That does seem to be Microsoft's modus operandi these days. Sometimes they'll even pay people to use and sell Microsoft products. Bing not getting any hits? Pay people through "cashback" to use it. Windows Phones being ignored by customers and sales people alike? Pay sales people $10 to $15 for every Windows Phone they sell.

This "business model" isn't sustainable, even if you happen to have tons of cash to burn. Microsoft certainly does have those tons of cash. And as we've all seen, Microsoft isn't afraid to throw good money after bad. But why is that? Why does Microsoft shovel bricks of cash into raging dumpster fires like Bing and Zune and Windows Phone?

Here's the explanation: Windows 3.1 back in the day and Xbox now.

Microsoft spent huge amounts of time and money copying Mac OS, from Windows 1.0 to Windows 2.0 to Windows 3.0. Without success. Finally, the 3.1 release was "good enough" and the rest is history. And what enabled Microsoft to spend all that time polishing a turd? DOS revenue.

Microsoft spent huge amounts of time and money on Xbox, and even more time and money on Xbox 360 and its Red Ring of Death. They lost billions on the hardware, hoping to make it up through game and online subscription sales. The original model Xbox 360's failure rate has been estimated at anywhere from 24% to 54%. The problems weren't "solved" until the newer Xbox 360 S replaced the original model. Only now, with the release of Kinect, is the Xbox division breaking even. And what enabled Microsoft to blow all that cash on bad hardware? Windows + Office revenue.

So the "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mindset is part of Microsoft's culture now. They ignore weak product launches, years of poor sales, and years of massive losses. Because they expect to get it right by their 2nd or 3rd attempt. And their Windows + Office revenue subsidizes their clueless flailing while they fire-hose money at the problem. Eventually they just might back into a solution that actually sells.

Giving out a few thousand (or million) Windows 8 pads might give them an initial market share boost, but it's unsustainable. And Windows 8 pads would only be Microsoft's "2.0" attempt in the pad computing market after about a decade of vainly hyping vanilla Windows crammed into the pad form factor.

I wonder how long it will be until their 3rd attempt...
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

According to Neville Ray, chief technology officer of T-Mobile, Yes.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-573...ically-happen/
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Indeed. 4.8" is completely unusable.

I have huge hands, see, and in landscape mode on a phone that big, I can't even reach the center bottom of the screen, much less the center top.

I disagree, and I wear size s/m men's glove size. When I hold my iP4 in my hands in landscape mode, and extend my thumbs they overlap by more than 1". So I think that size is appropriate given that the current screen is 3.5"