Apple could water-proof future devices with HzO technology

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2014
HzO, the maker of a "WaterBlock" technology shown off at last week's Consumer Electronics Show, has said it is in talks with Apple about using its material in future devices, including the iPhone.

HzO was promoting its nano-scale film barrier at CES last week, pitching it as a potential solution to waterproof expensive electronic equipment. One of their demonstrations included submerging an iPhone into water, and having it remain in proper working order.

HzO's technology is similar to the nano-coating process demonstrated at CES by P2i, branded "Aridion" and profiled yesterday. A video demonstration of Aridion-treated paper also appeared in this week's Weekend Tech Review. The technology is already in use by Motorola on both its Droid RAZR smartphone and XYBOARD tablet.

While speaking to attendees at the show, officials with HzO said that Apple is among the companies that have shown interest in the water repelling technology, according to Pocket-lint. Company officials said Apple was interested in making a future iPhone waterproof, potentially with a sixth-generation model expected to be released later this year.

"We expect HzO to be in next season's phones," the company reportedly said.

In addition to Apple, its rival Samsung is also said to have shown interest in HzO's technology. The company said it showed a Samsung executive a waterproofed Galaxy S smartphone, and that company officials were "really excited" by what they saw.

HzO's WaterBlock technology protects the insides of devices on a molecular scale. It has been used in demonstrations to protect a number of Apple products, including the iPhone 4S, iPads and iPods, after the material has been applied to the devices in a vacuum deposition process.

The company says that WaterBlock is a non-toxic, organic material that is safe for people to use. It also doesn't change the aesthetics of a device or add any weight.

The technology is intended for "accidental encounters" with moisture, meaning use in deep waters or being submerged for an extended period of time is not recommended. However, HzO coated devices have reportedly been immersed in water for "many continuous hours," and they continue to work fine.

"The technology is designed to protect against failure due to jumping in a pool and forgetting your phone was in your pocket, or dropping your iPod in the sink while doing dishes, or getting caught in a torrid rain storm and getting soaked, or leaving your smartphone in your pants when they go through the wash," the company said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    "The company says that WaterBlock is a non-toxic, organic material ..."

"It also doesn't change the aesthetics of a device or add any weight."

HzO, defying the laws of physics since 2012.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HzO, the maker of a "WaterBlock" technology ...

I always think it's funny when an American company uses the "z" in a product name and it's clear that they intend it to be pronounced "ZEE" not realising that the majority of the world actually pronounces this letter as "ZED" making the proposed product name totally silly to say. It's like a classic American blind spot.

Edit: even more hilarious that they chose an announcer with an English accent to say "zee."
  • Reply 3 of 81
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    It's about time someone made a waterproof phone. Waterproof watches have been around for ages. All it takes is a little rubber gasket.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    I'm really thinking the iPhone 5 (aka iPhone 4G) is going to be a show stopper. It was the last thing Jobs worked on before he died. I'm thinking an oval capacitive touch home screen button. With simplistic gestures: swipe to go back, forward, double tap (not push) to zoom.

This will allow users to keep their thumb over the home button more often. Over the screen less often and probably allow for the justification of a larger screen, as more action will be on the home button and not on the screen.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is one of those things that needs to be tested well for a company with as much mindshare as Apple and their iDevices. They say it's organic and non-toxic. Great! But organic compounds can still be dangerous even if they aren't poisonous. Have they tested it for carcinogens? Imagine what would happen to Apple's stock if one day Hz0 was linked to cancer and they were selling hundreds of millions of devices a year with it. It's like with the signal attenuation of the iPhone 4 or the CarrierIQ issue. The first one they had to do a press release to control the silly media frenzy it caused and the second they had a very small association with no evidence of keylogging that was the root of the issue with CarrierIQ from a particular carrier and handset vendor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eulerphi View Post

"The company says that WaterBlock is a non-toxic, organic material ..."

"It also doesn't change the aesthetics of a device or add any weight."

HzO, defying the laws of physics since 2012.

They don't mean it that way. The weight gain is so minute that you are unlikely to have have instrument that could measure it and it's impossible to personally notice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I always think it's funny when an American company uses the "z" in a product name and it's clear that they intend it to be pronounced "ZEE" not realising that the majority of the world actually pronounces this letter as "ZED" making the proposed product name totally silly to say. It's like a classic American blind spot.

Edit: even more hilarious that they chose an announcer with an English accent to say "zee."

Does most of the world say zed? The British certainly do but most English speakers in the world I know are heavily influenced by American culture. Anecdotally, overall I've noticed American spelling and pronunciation of English words in other countries more than I have the British spelling and pronunciations.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    There is no quicker way to kill a deal that is in discussion, than to desperately leak it to the press. So assume that this WON'T happen.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    I think it has more credibility because the lady in the video has a cool English accent. Very well played.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    Here is a similar technology with actual video demonstration of its application.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uSHLqowYqjU
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does most of the world say zed? The British certainly do but most English speakers in the world I know are heavily influenced by American culture. Anecdotally, overall I've noticed American spelling and pronunciation of English words in other countries more than I have the British spelling and pronunciations.

I don't know about elsewhere, but around here (Canada, near Toronto) it's zed. I was reading it as H-zed-Oh.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...torrid rain storm....

... but not frigid, or temperate, rain storms? Torrential, perhaps?
  • Reply 11 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

I don't know about elsewhere, but around here (Canada, near Toronto) it's zed. I was reading it as H-zed-Oh.

Here (In Saskatchewan) Its zed - I'm sure its that way in all of Canada. Can't speak for Australlia/New Zealand but I would assume it is zed there too?

While American culture might have influenced us in certain respects, orthographically it has a laregly marginal impact (although we tolerate american spellings in some cases - but we teach British English in schools)

I.e. we say/write colour, sleigh, burnt etc.

edit: I suppose for some words like Aluminum we tend to use the American - I'm sure there are literary papers delving deep into this phenomenon. Also, apparently we have 1 000 000 American immigrants living here now?
  • Reply 12 of 81
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I'm really thinking the iPhone 5 (aka iPhone 4G) is going to be a show stopper. It was the last thing Jobs worked on before he died. I'm thinking an oval capacitive touch home screen button. With simplistic gestures: swipe to go back, forward, double tap (not push) to zoom.

This will allow users to keep their thumb over the home button more often. Over the screen less often and probably allow for the justification of a larger screen, as more action will be on the home button and not on the screen.

Thoughts?

I'm all for more gestures- even on a phone. Ever since iOS 5 got added to the iPad, I don't use the home button ever. And I would prefer it if I could swipe left and right to go forward and back in Safari like I can do with my Magic Mouse. But I don't see the need for the home screen button to be the gesture input device, when the screen seems much more fun and intuitive (not to mentions bigger and gives you more options). Incorporating the home button as touch sensitive would open more doors though.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Apple should just stretch a condom over the iPhone and tie a knot in the end. Jonathan Ive would have to approve the ascetics of course.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

Canada, UK, Australia and India I have heard Zed and many other British pronunciations. But I've also heard and seen a lot of American English spelling and pronunciations in Canada.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Zee or zed - what's the difference, that's only in English speaking areas anyway. Clearly they wanted it to look like H2O, but any pronunciation seems a bit goofy as a product name no matter what language or dialect.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    I've found Gorilla Glass near useless so why not fix something more important first?
  • Reply 17 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Well, it's a Utah company, so not the same as an "American" company. Might have been questioned in California or New York. I'd say the same if it was a Texas company, not to pick on Utah.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It strikes me as a bad idea to say you're in discussions with Apple. I call BS, because Apple generally doesn't seem to want its suppliers talking about deals, even prospective deals.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It strikes me as a bad idea to say you're in discussions with Apple. I call BS, because Apple generally doesn't seem to want its suppliers talking about deals, even prospective deals.

There were plenty of Apple staff at CES that I'm sure they had "discussions" with.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tk2x View Post

There is no quicker way to kill a deal that is in discussion, than to desperately leak it to the press. So assume that this WON'T happen.

Bingo. But they get noticed just for saying they're in talks with Apple. Everyone filtering for press releases that mention Apple sees it.