Samsung seeks $1B bond to expand Texas processor plant

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Samsung's answer to Apple

: It's time to manufacture your products in U.S.A. I'm ready for that.

Apple might be doing that already: https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...77111809167360
  • Reply 22 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    $1 billion? That must be some expansion.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    It may surprise many of you. but when it comes to the BOTTOM LINE, fanboyism is OUT THE WINDOW.

Samsung knows that ios devices sell ridiculously well so they rely on apple for that business.

Apple knows that Samsung has some of the best facilities for the manufacture of their specialized hardware and wouldn't trust some back alley chinese manufacturer with their product reputation.

Same with google. Apple will never black youtube and youtube will never block apple cause really they are also dependent.

If the top executives acted like people who frequent forums such as this one and many others their companies would be vastly smaller than what they are. Sure, sue them in the competition sphere, but that is completely separate form other business relationships, and both companies are well aware of that.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All right. That's it. This is now SamsungInsider. I'm calling it early. Yes, there's ONE reference to Apple in this story, but it's not like we haven't seen the signs. Eventually there won't be any references.

Since the injuction being lifted Samsung is slamming their Galaxy Tab 10.1 ads all over Australian TV eg. especially with Australian Open tennis on now.

Some of the ads are interesting, but there are some bizarre scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWS-O2nOmwA

The one with the guy wearing goggles filming horses with a Tab while driving along them... Careful not to drop it...!

But like I said, I'm okay with this website having Samsung/Android news, I'd like to keep up to date with what's happening there, and again since I've reduced my anti-Samsung stance this year (to the best of my ability, but, boy, that ad does irk me somewhat).

I remain of the opinion that Android does borrow many elements of iOS. I know it's been debated to death, so let it be, it's what everyone has to deal with it, I'm not sure if the litigation will stick because there's too many lawsuits flying around and by the time they are resolved, just like Windows, Android would have diverged enough from iOS. Or so I think.

Again, trying to stay more neutral here, but it is hard.

Can someone who owns a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy S2 actually post some information on your experiences? I think it's okay, we should keep an open mind.

In any case it looks like Samsung will have significant profit growth in 2012.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Has 19 billion in cash, wants to borrow 1 billion from banks... can someone explain this to me?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A couple ideas:

1) More money is better than less money.

2) Samsung can make more interest on its cash holdings than it would have to pay in interest for the loan.

That's how sick the financial system is. How there's so much literally dirt-cheap loans for the 1%. Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ungenio View Post

Samsung may not build any more of Apples' SoC because of their legal battles. Is this their way to force Apple to keep the contract, to avoid the bad publicity of americans losing their jobs if Samsung is forced to close the fabric?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I've always been bothered as to why Apple doesn't buy those chips from a Japanese, Taiwanese or Chinese manufacturer. Apple should file a lawsuit or at least lobby so that Texas doesn't grant Samsung the expansion of their factory or shut it down on the grounds that Samsung is a company that manufactures stolen IP products. If they don't I can see angry androidfans blaming Apple when Apple changes their chips to a better and cheaper supplier in China.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jannewmx View Post

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I've always been bothered as to why Apple doesn't buy those chips from a Japanese, Taiwanese or Chinese manufacturer. Apple should file a lawsuit or at least lobby so that Texas doesn't grant Samsung the expansion of their factory or shut it down on the grounds that Samsung is a company that manufactures stolen IP products. If they don't I can see angry androidfans blaming Apple when Apple changes their chips to a better and cheaper supplier in China.

At this point I think it's clear how important Samsung still is to Apple. If they could have switched suppliers Apple would definitely have done it by now. But as aggressive as Samsung is with their own products, they must clearly still be delivering the supplies and gear that Apple needs for their assembled products.

Especially when Steve was alive, I mean, 10 years ago he would have just obliterated Samsung from everything Apple. But even in 2010-2011 while Steve was alive, and even now, Apple has kept buying a very large amount of supplies from Samsung. There must be a reason for this.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It is unclear whether the boost in manufacturing capability is for the company's own mobile devices or to handle demand for an as yet unannounced chip that will power the rumored next generation iPad.

Well, if they are talking about getting a loan it will not be for a product that they should already be producing (as the iPad 3 is not that far away, presumably). Between the loan and the actual production capacity are years, not months or weeks.

What we can assume is that it is generic production capacity. After all, a chip is a chip more or less production wise. Such direct links between a product (A6) and capacity do not exist, really.

But form an AI perspective, some link with Apple was needed, I suppose.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At this point I think it's clear how important Samsung still is to Apple. If they could have switched suppliers Apple would definitely have done it by now. But as aggressive as Samsung is with their own products, they must clearly still be delivering the supplies and gear that Apple needs for their assembled products.

Especially when Steve was alive, I mean, 10 years ago he would have just obliterated Samsung from everything Apple. But even in 2010-2011 while Steve was alive, and even now, Apple has kept buying a very large amount of supplies from Samsung. There must be a reason for this.

Samsung invests heavily on their manufacturing capacity. Apple isn't using Samsung because their products are more advanced or cheaper, they are using Samsung products because they just make them faster. Apple has been investing money into other manufacturers so they can increase their manufacturing capacity. I'm sure Apple will move away from Samsung when their trusted and reliable manufacturers who don't steal have the capacity to deliver on time Apple's orders. It's like two restaurants who compete for customers and restaurant A serves cooked food from restaurant B, but obviously restaurant B had stolen the recipe from restaurant A.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Texas doesn't care about stolen IP, nor would any other state. They care about jobs. Don't be surprised if they even throw in some cash. This is how large corporations act now. Threaten to move jobs unless public money is 'invested' into the 'partnership'. The auto industry has been doing this for years now. This is modern capitalism.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Well mainly because there is no one else to buy from. You can count the number of fabs that can possibly meet apple's demand on one hand:

Samsung

TSMC

GlobalFoundries

Intel

Of those, Intel is not interest in making ARM chips without some of their IP. TSMC and GlobalFoundries have had yield issues to the point of having to cancel an entire node. That really only leaves Samsung.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All right. That's it. This is now SamsungInsider. I'm calling it early. Yes, there's ONE reference to Apple in this story, but it's not like we haven't seen the signs. Eventually there won't be any references.

Why the hate? Relax.

Like it or not, Samsung is an integral part of Apple.

Whats funny is that a South Korean company contributes to infrastructure and helps grow US GDP, while an American company helps communist China's GDP.

That Samsung plant has been in Austin, Texas since 1996, back when I went to school at UT Austin.

• Reply 33 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Shame Apple are using Samsung ... be nice if they could just go DIY.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Like it or not, Samsung is an integral part of Apple.

Not in the slightest. Do they rely on Samsung now? Sure. Do they have to? No.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Well mainly because there is no one else to buy from. You can count the number of fabs that can possibly meet apple's demand on one hand:

Samsung

TSMC

GlobalFoundries

Intel

Of those, Intel is not interest in making ARM chips without some of their IP. TSMC and GlobalFoundries have had yield issues to the point of having to cancel an entire node. That really only leaves Samsung.

That's the sad thing that Intel is going to regret down the line. This is the perfect opportunity to fab massive amounts of chips for Apple. If they can suck it in that Apple got "smarter" than them. In the end pride may hobble Intel. It's still absolutely unbeaten in laptop and desktop-class chips, because, like you note, TSMC and Global Foundries just haven't matched Intel.

Intel's fabbing at every lower nodes is ahead of TSMC and Global Foundries, at least for powerful laptop and desktop CPUs. AMD/ATI/Nvidia who use TSMC and Global Foundries just haven't been able to keep up with Intel in terms of chip production.

Again, if Intel actually partnered or bought Nvidia, they would be in a very capable position, but pride made them miss the boat.

To me, it's quite simple for the consumer. Intel make excellent CPUs. Nvidia and ATI make good GPUs. Forget ATI for Intel because it's AMD. So Intel, buy Nvidia. Integrate their tech, into your CPUs. Guess what, I reckon Nvidia-developed GPUs on the same die as Intel CPUs would be insanely powerful.

Next, Intel, just suck it up and fab Apple's ARM. You might learn a thing or two. (Then again, Intel may rip off Apple, but I'm sure they could easily make their own lines).