First Look: Apple's new iBooks Author

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think his point was that it should have been designed to do that.

Eh, I disagree. ePub reading would have afforded itself much better as an update to Preview.

I really don't want my reading and my editing in one place. People will whine that they can't change a book they've bought on the iBookstore. No duh!

Just put reading in Preview with a gorgeous interface that looks like the iPad app and be done. Leave the creating to the iBooks Author.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrynlowe View Post

No. What is ridiculous is the amount of people not wanting to upgrade.

I admit there is a need for old software that doesn't run on Lion but if that was me I would ditch the old software and get something that does work for me and on Lion.

Lion is streaks ahead of Snow Leopard and it makes sense that Apple would only develop for Lion because they want everyone to move on.

Snow Leopard is as you say a little under 3 years old now. The world has moved a lot since three years ago.

Let's not start this debate all over again. Many who haven't upgraded to Lion have been unable to do so for reasons not at all of their own choice or creation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

To create eBooks or do any kind of professional publishing, you import plain text only, and then apply the formatting from within the publishing program. This is really the entire point of the publishing program and it's main purpose.

It has always been this way and those that ignore this are the ones responsible for all the screwed up formatting in published documents around the world. You don't import proprietary formatting (especially Microsoft formatting junk), from one program into another. This is just common sense.

Amen, brother Peabody. I'm not a professional designer but I figured out this Rule of Life a long time ago. I run received Word documents (or any other type that might harbor formatting) through Text Edit, where I covert it to plain text. It is now safe to use in another document.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone involved in opening any Word document with any application other than the exact same version of Word on that exact same OS would know that you do not EVER import text from Microsoft Word and EXPECT the formatting to REMAIN intact.

True, but his point is, you don't want the original formatting to remain intact. As a document designer, you want to apply your own formatting and not get fouled up by the (usually) clueless formatting used in the source material. You want to nuke that and start from clean.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iBooks Author turns out to be a lot more powerful than I expected. So much for iBooks open standards that was touted in the original introduction. Talk about synergies in the Apple ecosystem. This really does solidify the iPad as the education platform. I do think they need to bring it to the Mac as well though. Any word on the DRM capabilities?

I didn't bring my MBP with Lion today so I can't try it out right now on SL but I'm really interested how it handles the Algebraic formulas since I noticed one of the templates is Algebra. Math has been very difficult to do in HTML so I am curious how they addressed this.

Actually, I found after some digging that MathType is completely integrated with the Author just like it is in Word...with back and forth.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    Quote:

No. What is ridiculous is the amount of people not wanting to upgrade.

I admit there is a need for old software that doesn't run on Lion but if that was me I would ditch the old software and get something that does work for me and on Lion.

Lion is streaks ahead of Snow Leopard and it makes sense that Apple would only develop for Lion because they want everyone to move on.

Snow Leopard is as you say a little under 3 years old now. The world has moved a lot since three years ago.

What I love especially is begging for school funding to get new computers, then having to ask for an OS update 6 months later, then needing to shell out thousands for new versions of all of our software. All because Apple wants to push forward and abandon the existing install base. Sorry but I can't continually justify that.

I work in a school, this is how it is. I can already see the teachers asking me about wanting to use iBooks Author, then not realizing some of our other software won't work on Lion. I mean I can explore running Snow Leopard in a VM, but really?

If Apple was truly interested in accessibility for education, then they would turn the option on in the compiler that says "Snow Leopard" or "Leopard" instead of pretending this app actually needs anything special introduced in Lion.

Have a look here: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...0&qpcustomb=*2

I hate to cloud this announcement with the trivial musings of us education customers, but it is what it is. Half of the OSX install base is using Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

What I love especially is begging for school funding to get new computers, then having to ask for an OS update 6 months later, then needing to shell out thousands for new versions of all of our software. All because Apple wants to push forward and abandon the existing install base. Sorry but I can't continually justify that.

I work in a school, this is how it is. I can already see the teachers asking me about wanting to use iBooks Author, then not realizing some of our other software won't work on Lion. I mean I can explore running Snow Leopard in a VM, but really?

If Apple was truly interested in accessibility for education, then they would turn the option on in the compiler that says "Snow Leopard" or "Leopard" instead of pretending this app actually needs anything special introduced in Lion.

I hate to cloud this announcement with the trivial musings of us education customers, but it is what it is. Half of the OSX install base is using Snow Leopard.

Don't you have more than 1 computer?

Does every computer need to run iBooks author?

Just asking... I have some expensive legacy apps that I don't want to upgrade. So, I run SnowLeopard on a single iMac so I can run these Apps.

I think you could take the reverse approach -- pay $29, upgrade a single Mac to Lion get the free iBooks Author and see how it goes.

Isn't there some bulk Education deal where you can purchase OS X versions for multiple Macs at a discount?
  • Reply 47 of 92
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    I will ignore the troll and will not bite.

It is curious, though, that Pages have been able to export files into the ePub format for a year and a half now, but the newly released iBooks Author cannot do this. This is especially strange because the entire iBooks store is based on the ePub format. I would have liked iBooks Author much more if it could open ePub books, edit them, and then save (or export) in the ePub format.

I have never done any book authoring, but have accumulated thousands of pages of technical documentation that I have written over many years. I have been doing this in MS Word (in Windows and later in Mac OS X). I was really hoping I could use iBooks Author to migrate my documentation to the ePub format and be able to read it both on my Macs and my iOS devices. So, I spent a few hours today researching other tools that could help me do this. Sigil seems to be the tool that I can use for opening, editing (and reading), as well as saving files in ePub. Calibre would be good for converting PDF files into ePub. So, I would have to use MS Word 2011 for Mac to save a file as a PDF, then use Calibre to convert this PDF into ePub, and finally, use Sigil to make corrections and additions to the file if needed. It would have been much more convenient if iBooks Author could do all these functions.

I realize that for aspiring authors - especially for those who want to try and sell their books on the iBooks store - iBooks Author is an awesome app. However, I am not going to convert the tens of thousands of pages I have written over many years into plain text, then import them into iBooks Author, and then spend hundreds of hours reformatting the text back to the way it looked in MS Word just to be able to export it again into a propitiatory .ibooks format so that I can transfer them to my iOS devices. The ePub method described above is a lot more straightforward and less time consuming, if a little convoluted.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

That may be the case, but iBook Authors uses a variety of features that depend on Lion. It would be silly to target a 3 year old version of the OS just to make sure people who don't upgrade can run it. Doing so would forgo all the work Apple's put into Lion to give it modern features.

They'd also have to test and QA support for pre-autosave/revisions and older typography features and all sorts of things.

All because you can't afford to upgrade one authoring Mac to Lion for the purposes of generating content? Perhaps you can spend $29 of your own, given that the app is FREE!

Wow
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I will ignore the troll and will not bite.

It is curious, though, that Pages have been able to export files into the ePub format for a year and a half now, but the newly released iBooks Author cannot do this. This is especially strange because the entire iBooks store is based on the ePub format. I would have liked iBooks Author much more if it could open ePub books, edit them, and then save (or export) in the ePub format.

I have never done any book authoring, but have accumulated thousands of pages of technical documentation ....

Apple wasn't targeting a broad spectrum of publishers with various needs. It is aiming at textbooks, and giving everyone else an awesome publishing tool they can use.

If you wrote your docs in Word, you should still have the text you can import. EPUB is a distribution format, not really a mobile authoring format. It's like saying you have a website you want to convert to a book but you don't have the text handy. What?
  • Reply 50 of 92
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Apple wasn't targeting a broad spectrum of publishers with various needs. It is aiming at textbooks, and giving everyone else an awesome publishing tool they can use.

If you wrote your docs in Word, you should still have the text you can import. EPUB is a distribution format, not really a mobile authoring format. It's like saying you have a website you want to convert to a book but you don't have the text handy. What?

Exactly, what????
  • Reply 51 of 92
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Got to tell you, I am not happy with Apple requiring Lion for this app.

Snow Leopard came out in 2009.

A little under 3 years and major new app doesn't support it.

At some point this gets a little ridiculous, does it not?

Not at 3 years.

philip
  • Reply 52 of 92
    What about typographic flexibility, a major weakness of ebooks? Just how free are creators/authors allowed to be over choice of fonts and formatting?
  • Reply 53 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

That's pretty fast review work. Didn't you just post an article two days ago about how this event was NOT going to be about a new text book authoring tool?

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/artic...not_tools.html

Here's a working link.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't you have more than 1 computer?

Does every computer need to run iBooks author?

Just asking... I have some expensive legacy apps that I don't want to upgrade. So, I run SnowLeopard on a single iMac so I can run these Apps.

I think you could take the reverse approach -- pay $29, upgrade a single Mac to Lion get the free iBooks Author and see how it goes.

Isn't there some bulk Education deal where you can purchase OS X versions for multiple Macs at a discount?

It's just publishing SW...what's so special that it requires a new OS? $29 or not, they're just books, maybe with some multimedia. I still run SL, as I see no reason to update, requiring Lion for some features like iCloud or iBooks Author just seems artificial, like something Microsoft would do.

In a couple generations, I guess we'll look back and wonder how people didn't read books without requiring an SW update first...and as a side note, I find it somewhat amusing that, even though my 1st gen iPod Touch still works fine, it can't run iBooks, as it requires iOS 4.2 or above. Sure, it runs on my iPhone 4S, but what happens when there's a book that I want, published for a certain version of iBooks, which requires a certain OS, which then requires certain HW...it's an extreme case, and while devices get outdated, but there just books.

It just seems like trying to re-invent the wheel.
  • Reply 55 of 92
    The only thing that surprises me is that it's a separate application. We had discussion around the office when the iPad was first released that Apple would rework either Pages or Keynote to produce iPad content - we figured it was just a matter of time.

I would loved to have seen it with all the animations available in Keynote. Probably not compatible with the ePub format but still nice to dream about
  • Reply 56 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakman View Post

The only thing that surprises me is that it's a separate application. We had discussion around the office when the iPad was first released that Apple would rework either Pages or Keynote to produce iPad content - we figured it was just a matter of time.

I would loved to have seen it with all the animations available in Keynote. Probably not compatible with the ePub format but still nice to dream about

No doubt the debated bundling it into Pages, but I bet they thought it needed too many of its own custom buttons and its own custom toolbar and that it would be taken far more serious if it was its own app with its own name. Dedicated to education.

Who knows, perhaps the next version of pages will get its own "publish" button capable of getting your first novel into iBooks. I would have thought for certain they'd also include a setting to publish magazines this way though, the general layout of the Our Choice-esque books are perfectly suited to magazines, as I tweeted 10 months ago. And the world would be a better place if all iPad magazines were like this, intuitive, consistent, enjoyable and beautiful. As opposeð to the current situation; unreadable.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:

But seriously, how many apps are there that either don't work in Lion or don't have an alternative that is free or cheaper than the original application.

I keep seeing all these posts about how people are using applications that don't run in Lion but they never tell us what they are. Quicken is about the only one I keep hearing about. Let's face it if you're still using an application made by a company that clearly doesn't give a toss about you when there are alternatives that are cheaper that pretty much do the same thing then why should Apple be made to look like that bad guy when you're the ones suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

What apps are SOOOOO important you can't speak with your dollar and move away? Please tell me because I want to know. I am genuinely wanting to know.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

I find it somewhat amusing that, even though my 1st gen iPod Touch still works fine, it can't run iBooks, as it requires iOS 4.2 or above.

Your 1st Gen iPod Touch doesn't stand a chance of running the books because the content in them would overload the processor. We're not talking movies or pictures or text or javascript widgets we're talking movies AND pictures AND text AND javascript widgets. That's a lot for a device and that's not adding to the fact that reading on a small screen is dumb anyway. iPad makes sense because it has the screen real-estate to make it work.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chipbrock View Post

Actually, I found after some digging that MathType is completely integrated with the Author just like it is in Word...with back and forth.

I wish it just supported LaTeX equation formatting... I'd prefer not to have to buy MathType, and from people who have used it I've heard that it is not as powerful as LaTeX.

But what really confuses me is the lack of bibliography/citation/endnote capability. Pages has had this problem as well, and it makes it impossible to use for any serious technical writing. I hope they fix this, because I can't imagine a textbook tool which doesn't have the ability to include citations...

Also, perhaps I've missed how, but there doesn't seem to be a way to add a hyperlink to a table, only to figures or interactives. This seems like an odd omission...

The books it produces seem very pretty, but it is currently missing some key capabilities.

EDIT: figured out how to link to Tables. I had imported a Word document with lots of tables and it broke all the links. Have to manually recreate them.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    Quote:

But seriously, how many apps are there that either don't work in Lion or don't have an alternative that is free or cheaper than the original application.

I keep seeing all these posts about how people are using applications that don't run in Lion but they never tell us what they are. Quicken is about the only one I keep hearing about. Let's face it if you're still using an application made by a company that clearly doesn't give a toss about you when there are alternatives that are cheaper that pretty much do the same thing then why should Apple be made to look like that bad guy when you're the ones suffering from Stockholm Syndrome?

What apps are SOOOOO important you can't speak with your dollar and move away? Please tell me because I want to know. I am genuinely wanting to know.

Cripes, not this crap again. Yes, Quicken is one. We don't stay with Quicken because we love Intuit. Nobody loves Intuit. We are stuck because there is no alternative that does everything Quicken does. And please don't give us a list of names. We know, we've looked carefully into all of them, so we know that none of them will substitute for Quicken. Got it?

In my case, I also rely on an older version of FileMaker for an important part of my business. Other than the fact that it is not Lion compatible, it works fine amd does exactly what i need The cost of replacement with the current version is $300 per seat. Too much and not necessary. Got it?

Finally some of are invested in printers that might not be supported with compatible drivers. So now we could find ourselves junking a perfectly good printer and spending a grand to replace it. And why would we want that?

And that only covers those of us who have Lion compatible hardware.

Got it?