iBooks Author works limited to commercial distribution on iPad through iBookstore

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    So if I read all this right I can not sell my ebook made on iBooks Author on my web site without apple's permission?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's a stupid idea.

Not only does it limit people who just want to publish to their own site, but it GUARANTEES that an Adobe product will come to market and be well accepted in the marketplace.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here but that wouldn't mirror what they are doing with iBooks Author. They simply what their cut of the product you created with the tools they developed for iBooks. It's exactly like the App Store in that you can give it away or sell it, but Apple gets 30%.

Are you denying that the same could be said for FCP? Couldn't they demand their cut of the product or work that you created with the tools they developed?

It doesn't mirror but the point is your reasoning on the matter isn't sound. If the reasoning is applied elsewhere (Free tool means Apple can grab the works) you'd see how terrible it is in a second.

What you create with the tools hasn't been subject to Apple control before in terms of marketing and sales. Apple is trying to change that and it is wrong.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Not only does it limit people who just want to publish to their own site, but it GUARANTEES that an Adobe product will come to market and be well accepted in the marketplace.

They already have a product. It sucks eggs. To be 'well accepted', you have to actually make something good, and Adobe's not known for that.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    I would rather pay for iBooks author then not to be able to sell my e-book to anyone I choose off my page...
  • Reply 46 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Are you denying that the same could be said for FCP? Couldn't they demand their cut of the product or work that you created with the tools they developed?

It doesn't mirror but the point is your reasoning on the matter isn't sound. If the reasoning is applied elsewhere (Free tool means Apple can grab the works) you'd see how terrible it is in a second.

What you create with the tools hasn't been subject to Apple control before in terms of marketing and sales. Apple is trying to change that and it is wrong.

1) Apple doesn't say you can't sell your books elsewhere, they say you can't author it with iBooks Author to sell elsewhere. They didn't spend all the money creating the tool so you can then push it to Amazon's store and lock Apple out. It's called iBooks Author, not Books Author, for frak's sake.

2) iBooks Author is the only way to create eBooks or even textbooks for the iBookstore. You don't have to use it at all. iBookstore takes the EPUB standard just fine. You don't get all the option in ePUB that you get in with the .IBA format that iBooks Author has, but that's why Apple created it.

3) FCP is not a free app!

4) FCP does not offering interactive video that only Apple's devices support!

5) If Apple creates a free tool for editing video and says you can only sell it on their store and somehow that software makes the video interactive in ways that other video isn't so it's only supported by Apple's player then wouldn't you expect it to only be sold on iTS? That's a comparative scenario, not the one you

6) Apple is doing exactly what they did with their Xcode and App Store. They want 30%.

7) Again, you don't have to use iBooks Author to get a book on iBookstore.

8) I'm not sure why you have a problem with it. If you don't like that Apple has offered a better option for creating interactive books than standard EPUB could offer then simply don't use it. It's really that simple.