Google shares sink after Q4 earnings miss Wall Street expectations

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Thats a narrow minded Apple fan point of view. In time Android will have 99% market share. Google will profit. Hardware makers will profit. Those that do not will drop off. The company that produces Android hardware that are successful will continue to grow as they grab customers from failed hardware makers. It's Windows all over again. Apple will gouge their current base with over the top prices to survive. In the meantime cheaper and superior models from competitors will benefit the buyers smart enough to avoid the Apple Tax.

Numbers are numbers based on current data. You've given nothing but conjecture and ill informed opinion.

Have to say I'm disappointed in your response Slappy. Thought you could do better.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:

Thats a narrow minded Apple fan point of view. In time Android will have 99% market share. Google will profit. Hardware makers will profit. Those that do not will drop off. The company that produces Android hardware that are successful will continue to grow as they grab customers from failed hardware makers. It's Windows all over again. Apple will gouge their current base with over the top prices to survive. In the meantime cheaper and superior models from competitors will benefit the buyers smart enough to avoid the Apple Tax.

You want to talk about Windows, then let me give you some info. Windows may have the top market share but the hardware manufacturers aren't making a dime off of PCs. IBM saw the writing on the wall and sold their PC business to Lenovo because they saw PCs turning into a commodity. Microsoft is the only company in the Windows PC business making money. Everyone else isn't making anything. Dell, HP and the other bellwethers in the Windows PC space don't see PCs as a profit engine. The server businesses and other enterprise product lines are what they see as profit engines.

But with Windows, at least Microsoft is making money. Nowhere in your pie-in-the-sky projections is there an explanation of: (a) How Android will have 99% market share; (b) How you expect Google to profit from an OS that they give away for free; and (c) How hardware makers will profit.

And as for the "Apple Tax" and price-gouging, why is it that Motorola set the entry level Xoom price at $800? And also, the typical price that customers pay for a smartphone with a 2-year deal is $200. Android phones do come with BOGO offers but I'd wager that the top Android devices, e.g. SGII sell for around $200 apiece with a 2-year contract.

You seem to be so confident in your projections that Apple will fail. Why don't you short Apple stock and make some money? You can be known as the person who saw through all the hype surrounding Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Said the guy who has something about Apple disturbingly incorporated into his mind. How about enlighten us how Google is any different than Apple when promoting standard? Is WebM for a greater good? Is Flash open?

Well, WebM is actually open. The issue being is whether it was patent encumbered as I recall. So, yes, it would be for the greater good. As opposed to say iBooks which from I've read wraps the open ePub3 format in a proprietary Apple layer.

No, Flash isn't open. But since it's not Google, I don't know how it's relevant to the conversation. Is it because Google openly allows its use in Android and Chrome. Darned Google, letting users have a choice whether they want to have Flash on their device. Goodness that's evil!

But I actually didn't state that Google (or Adobe for that matter) was some saint when it came to pushing open standards. Just disputing the BS notion that Apple is some sort of saint in that area. They pushed web apps in the early release of the iPhone because the App Store and SDK weren't ready for prime time. Notice how since the App Store went live there isn't much crowing about web apps? Apple pushes HTML5 as a Flash alternative because it hurts Adobe.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

But with Windows, at least Microsoft is making money. Nowhere in your pie-in-the-sky projections is there an explanation of: (a) How Android will have 99% market share; (b) How you expect Google to profit from an OS that they give away for free; and (c) How hardware makers will profit.

Slappy has upped his Android prediction from 98% to 99%. That's an expert analysis.

If Google is not making huge strides in profitability given the rise Android has had in the past year, why would it suddenly start making profit if it's market share increases further? If you can't make profit at 40% of the market, you can't make it at 99%. Giving the OS away makes Google NOTHING, and based on their quarterly reports, their earnings per click are down. That directly impacts their bottom line, not their share of the mobile market.

And let's face it, the iPhone isn't going to dwindle down to some fraction of 1 or 2% of the smartphone market. Apple still isn't sold on all the carriers that Android phones are, and Android can't force the iPhone below 30% of market share now. If more and more carriers begin to offer the iPhone, it's only going to have a higher and higher share worldwide. With Apple making the lion's share of mobile profits with their smaller market share, increased share will only result in even higher profits.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Again...why do you all respond to Slapppy?

He is either an Android fanatic Poe...or an idiot.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Again...why do you all respond to Slapppy?

He is either an Android fanatic Poe...or an idiot.

Guessing Poe. Can't be as ignorant as demonstrated. All the quotes and replies are killing the point of my ignore filter.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No I didn't miss his opinion. Apparently you consider it facts tho?

You have to love how Gatorguy pretends not to know why Google gives stuff away for free, then insists that it isn't to cut the legs out from under competitors. Well, yes, that's exactly why they do it, it's a key part of the business model: make a market unprofitable to sell anything in, then move in and take it over to sell ads. Does anyone really think this isn't why they do it? This is pretty obvious stuff. Googles success is based on destruction.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Quote:

This logic reminds me of the SNL First Change Bank commercial. "you give us $10, and we'll give you two fives, or a five and five ones. We're here to meet your personal change needs. How do we make money? Volume!"
  • Reply 69 of 72
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You have to love how Gatorguy pretends not to know why Google gives stuff away for free, then insists that it isn't to cut the legs out from under competitors. Well, yes, that's exactly why they do it, it's a key part of the business model: make a market unprofitable to sell anything in, then move in and take it over to sell ads. Does anyone really think this isn't why they do it? This is pretty obvious stuff. Googles success is based on destruction.

Just to expand on the Google as a destructive force theme, when I think back to a time that Microsoft actually mattered, as much as I disliked them for their underhanded (sometimes even illegal) business tactics, for the crappy operating systems they turned out, and for their, we're going to take over the world attitude, I never thought of them as a destructive force in the industry. Sure, I felt that they often held things back, that they weren't terribly creative, that they showed a little too much zeal in their drive to crush the competition, at least until the whole IE is integrated into Windows thing, I never saw them as a company that tried to succeed primarily by destroying the playing field.

With Google, it's hard to see little else in them. It's what they do. It's what they know how to do. Not that there aren't some creative people working at Google (and the guys who built the Death Star were doing some creative stuff too), there are (although, you have to wonder how much dissimulation they have to engage in to feel comfortable there). It's just that all their creative energies are being focused on how to destroy industries so Google can move in and pick up the ad dollars from the waste land.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

After camping the Yahoo AAPL finance forums for a week its a breath of fresh air to see Slappy. :-) I just bought 1 JULY option call for google today. Paid 3500$ for 100 shares exposure. Hope it gets back up. Go google (Slappy would be proud)

You guys would be amaze to see the amount of threads that attempts to manipulated the stock price by bringing up idiotic arguments. I got my position on Apple for the earnings with MAR and APR calls and I just bough one FEB call just before the market close. I have 10 lots "in the money" which means the equivalent of 1000 shares of Apple. I will buy cheap "out of the money" weekly puts on tuesday in case AAPL tanks after earning. Those will be lost if the stock rally but its always good to get insurance.

Booyah!
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

? its a breath of fresh air to see Slappy.

It's a 'breath of fresh air' to see blatant lies based on complete nonsense that can't possibly ever be true?
  • Reply 72 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a 'breath of fresh air' to see blatant lies based on complete nonsense that can't possibly ever be true?

Trust me, the yahoo forums is much worst. Its camp by an army of evil Slappy's that tries to manipulated the stock or spam the same arguments every day and post links to sites on "how to make money" if you pay for our advice. There is also a "guild' of traders who are more gamblers than investors.

You have to sort out the good post in that mess. The forum badly needs a moderator.