US tablet ownership nearly doubles to 19% over holidays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The trend for leaving out iPad data is based on this fact. Android powered devices are quickly overtaking the tablet market. The victim of course is the iPad. Numbers don't lie. Thats just reality.

I know better than to feed the troll, but show us some hard sales numbers that will prove that Android tablets are outselling the iPad. Please.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

And by the way, I like Android.

You're using that to communicate your credibility with sloppy? To win brownie points with him!?

Sad.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    This data is b-s, for reasons mentioned by jragosta.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The trend for leaving out iPad data is based on this fact. Android powered devices are quickly overtaking the tablet market. The victim of course is the iPad. Numbers don't lie. Thats just reality.

"The report made no mention of Apple's iPad, but suggested that Amazon's Kindle Fire and the Barnes and Noble Nook Tablet, both of which feature prices much lower than Apple's $499 entry-level iPad, played a significant role in boosting sales."

Becuase if they had the iPad data, the other stuff would look like noise...
  • Reply 25 of 27
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@slapppy... If you aren't one already, you should become an analyst!

Dick, I agree, he should be an (anal)yst .... hell, he's already half way there .... judging from his posting record.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I work for USB in Switzerland and we just bought over 600 Android tablets and 100 iPads for the firm. I develop trading software so I got to evaluate the tablets for our department.

That was best three months ever. I brought home a different tablet every week. The sales force got the iPads and everone else got Android tablets due to its more open system, file browser, Androids native programming language is very close to Java (this was the biggest reason) and its ability to play nicer with our Samba networks.

I went with the Asus Slider for our department. Its funny we were the only ones to get them because everone else thought they wanted thinner and lighter now everyone wants the Slider after seeing it.

Anyway I would say 90% of the people who received a tablet in our company also bought one for themselves and family members. So I would have to say we were responsible for a small bulk of those sales in Q4.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Oh before I get slammed for portraying Android as the superior machine for our company that was not my intention. I love my iPad2 and wouldn't give it up for anything. The music creation apps are just breath taking.

However in a corporate setting where the infrastructure is UNIX glued together with open source programming languages Android just plays nicer. iOS in the consumer world is a no brainer, it rains supreme but Android I think has the upper hand in the corporate and government circles.

It's open platform allows for easier customization for applications and security. Our company for instance has a complete custom login solution for Android 3.2 and soon 4.0 where it query's a Oracle database before it allows you to logon. To do that we had to move the network setup part of Android to the start page because you know you have to be on the network before you can go any further. Which meant we needed the source code for the OS from the manufacture. Good luck trying to do that with iOS. I'm sure there a solutions out there but many, many company's do things themselves that's why there are in house programming divisions.

I don't know why I had to explain my self I just didn't want to get flamed or called a troll. I love Apple products like the next guy but Apple can't do it all with just one product. The iPod is great but it's meant for the consumer. Android has a place in this world like it or not and I for one am glad we have so much competition and choice.