Sony's next-gen camera sensor could allow Apple to make thinner iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Apple needs to move its manufacturing out of China.

What good is an embargo on Iranian oil if China is going to buy it all so that it can run factories to produce goods for America?

In other words, how long will Apple investors support the Iranian regime and terrorism?

Or has the long arms of a blind capitalist society become too long for people to recognize and understand their actions? That your sending your countrymen off to die in wars so that you can watch your investments grow. Do you even understand that as the stock price grows, so does the body count of your neighbors?

Where is the voice of Apple investors to bring manufacturing home and employ some of the 60+ million people out of work, homeless and living in poverty.

Silenced by greed and little green ticker numbers?

Shame on you investors and your blood monies. It doesn't have to be this way. You should be demanding Apple invest in R&D at home and develop your own technologies. Sure Sony is an ally country - but buying their technology because you have bankrupted society at home so that people can no longer afford education, and the brain-drain train that is full steam ahead... do you see the short sightedness of this folly?

You have a voice and responsibility as investors.

Be the change you want to see.

Maybe America should stop playing world police. You've got your finger in everyone's eyes in the world. China and India have taken all of the middle manufacturing jobs that used to be in America and before he died, Steve Jobs said they weren't coming back. China and India are the worlds fastest growing markets and are buying up production of electronics and luxury goods (Rolls Royce, Bently, BMW etc.) at a quicker and quicker pace. Pretty soon your car choices and options will depend more on what the Chinese want than what Americans want. WAKE UP! the party is over for America.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple, PLEASE buy that light field company!

Do it before SOMEONE ELSE DOES.

Thinner iPhones? I see this as more "better cameras in iPads and iPod touches".

I think that's the second time I've seen you comment about this, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. What light field company is this and why should Apple buy them?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

More pixels means smaller pixels, which means less sensitive pixels with less dynamic range.

You say that as if it's an absolute, but it's not. The statement that makes that true is "Given the same technology..."

They could, for example, bump the next iPhone camera up to 12MP and it could have better images with more dynamic range than the 4S. The lens, sensor size, the sensor technology (BSI), the A/D converters, and the processing all play a major part.

That said, I'd prefer the newer technology AND stay at 8MP for better available light, low-light images.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Thinner iPhones? I see this as more "better cameras in iPads and iPod touches".

yep. folks seem to forget that the cameras aren't the only thing that cause the phone etc to be 'fat'
  • Reply 25 of 70
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Read this article on the megapixel myth.

When I finally decided to make the jump from film to digital (after reading just about everything at this site: http://kenrockwell.com/ ) I got a Nikon D40 just as production ended. Besides the lower MP I also found the D40 more comfortable to hold since the screen on the back is only 2.5 inch instead of 3 inches. Larger dedicated area for my thumb instead of it having to rest on the corner of the screen.

Owning a decent DSLR I have no reason to even want a camera in a phone. Make the phone even thinner and lighter by leaving the camera out completely works for me.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

Apple, PLEASE buy that light field company!

Please don't. Being able to focus after the fact is a one-trick pony. Give me better image quality and better low-light performance.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

...thinner and lighter by leaving the camera out completely works for me.

SInce 99.99% of the people out there would prefer NOT to carry a DSLR at all times, I don't think you're going to get your wish.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

That said, I'd prefer the newer technology AND stay at 8MP for better available light, low-light images.

Agreed. 8MP isn't shabby at all for the types of photos the iPhone and even iPad are intended to take. better light sensors, better image stabilization etc would be more useful to many than bumping up the MP. Same as the game of whether to add more pixels in the display screen or keep the pixels the same and improve the brightness etc so you can use the dang things outside
  • Reply 29 of 70
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

not only that, why not double the size of the battery for example?

Quote:

You mean the physical size or the length of charge?

I'm certain that Apple's still investing heavily in battery tech to make use times even longer. Haswell will greatly help out on the Mac end, but that's just the Mac end and with existing tech.

Investing in battery tech is all fine and well, but Apple should quit reducing the available space for a battery. The iPhone simply will not benefit from being any thinner in my view. Most everyone puts a protective case on their phones because they are so slippery and easily damaged anyway.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Owning a decent DSLR

is something that isn't true about most of the masses. In fact many of them don't own a DSLR or a decent point and click and really don't want to. why carry two things when you can just take photos with your phone
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:

SInce 99.99% of the people out there would prefer NOT to carry a DSLR at all times, I don't think you're going to get your wish.

Actually, there is an aftermarket vendor working on removing the camera entirely for sale to individuals who can not have any photographic device with them. Apple should explore the "option delete" for the camera. I think they would be surprised.

P.S. Besides, how hard can it be to simply leave out a part or two and mask the area where the lenses were?
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Apple should explore the "option delete" for the camera. I think they would be surprised. Besides, how hard can it be to simply leave out a part or two and mask the area where the lenses were?

Given that we have 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB phones in both black and white, adding a with/without camera option would up the number of SKUs from 6 to 12.

Besides, as you said, there's an aftermarket vendor already doing the mod if someone really needs it.

The point remains that the vast majority of people would prefer a camera that's "good enough" bundled into a device they already carry. You're the outlier.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Actually, there is an aftermarket vendor working on removing the camera entirely for sale to individuals who can not have any photographic device with them. Apple should explore the "option delete" for the camera. I think they would be surprised.

P.S. Besides, how hard can it be to simply leave out a part or two and mask the area where the lenses were?

I believe you're referring to the Thai carrier that is selling iPhones without the camera (and with voided warranty) because all Thai men have to serve time in the military and can't bring camera phones with them. I really don't think the market for such devices is big enough for Apple to waste their time on it. Especially when there are other companies willing to do it for them at no cost to Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

Given that we have 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB phones in both black and white, adding a with/without camera option would up the number of SKUs from 6 to 12.

Besides, as you said, there's an aftermarket vendor already doing the mod if someone really needs it.

The point remains that the vast majority of people would prefer a camera that's "good enough" bundled into a device they already carry. You're the outlier.

I am not the "outlier". I am just fine with the camera. My comment is simply that there is a market segment that Apple is ignoring. The vendor is a local outfit in the far East serving the local community only.

Cheers
  • Reply 35 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

I believe you're referring to the Thai carrier that is selling iPhones without the camera (and with voided warranty) because all Thai men have to serve time in the military and can't bring camera phones with them. I really don't think the market for such devices is big enough for Apple to waste their time on it. Especially when there are other companies willing to do it for them at no cost to Apple.

There is an additional cost for the lowered functionality so I think we can deduce that the market is exceptionally small.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I think that's the second time I've seen you comment about this, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. What light field company is this and why should Apple buy them?

There are two schools of thought about light field cameras.

The first is mine: the ability to take a picture and not have to worry about focusing because you can make the focus anywhere in the picture? after it's taken. So if you screw up the perfect shot because you accidentally put the focus too far forward or back (or if it's off by just a little), you can adjust it at your leisure.

Then there's this belief:

Quote:

Please don't. Being able to focus after the fact is a one-trick pony.

Your decision, really. Personally, I DON'T feel that light field photography is to the photography industry what 3D is to the movie industry?a huge, pointless gimmick. I feel that it's the future.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    for the love of god not any more obsessions with thinness...more battery life PLEASE. Ever since I had my third iphone stolen (yeah, the third...) and reverted back to my charge once use for the week phone I am enjoying sheer battery bliss. Of course I am not expecting such a thing from a smartphone but more than a couple of days realistic battery life would be nice.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since Apple already has the best battery life in the industry I don't see them moving to a much larger and heavier device just to add a significantly larger battery.

iPhone does NOT have the best battery life in the industry. I thought I have proven to you, with multiple screen shots of my Nexus, that I get the ultimate in battery life.....surpassed by NO ONE!!!

Signed

DaHarder

• Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

for the love of god not any more obsessions with thinness...more battery life PLEASE. Ever since I had my third iphone stolen (yeah, the third...) and reverted back to my charge once use for the week phone I am enjoying sheer battery bliss. Of course I am not expecting such a thing from a smartphone but more than a couple of days realistic battery life would be nice.

Seems like you might be more in need of an iChain/wrist cuff solution.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

It's called Wikipedia. Use it or lose it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lytro

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/10...ameraannounced

Somehow, the system captures light from multiple angles and there is no need to focus as you shoot.

Focusing is done when you view the captured image, and you can apparently change the focal

point from near to far while you view the images.