Apple execs are 'actively discussing' what to do with nearly $100B cash hoard

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

I don't see Apple killing a lot of Adobe's pro apps off, too much demand. They would lower prices though.

I don't see Apple allowing themselves to sell ABSOLUTE CRAP. But yeah, when they completely redesign the applications, yeah, they'll be cheaper.

Quote:

Apple does not manufacture GPU's it would be a tough case for DOJ not to allow a merger.

So when Apple stops selling nVidia chips to PCs, you really don't think that won't cause some problems?
  • Reply 102 of 120
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I think Apple should give the people that owned AAPL through the tough times and 'hung in there' a one time check for $1M, just to say thank you. Just saying.
  • Reply 103 of 120
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see Apple allowing themselves to sell ABSOLUTE CRAP. But yeah, when they completely redesign the applications, yeah, they'll be cheaper.

Well they do sell the Mighty Mouse and the latest Aluminum Apple Pro Keyboard. I would call those ABSOLUTE CRAP Honestly Adobe has great apps, sure some need fat trimming (Dreamweaver, Photoshop with 3D Really?)

Quote:

So when Apple stops selling nVidia chips to PCs, you really don't think that won't cause some problems?

Mostly for other PC vendors, then again if they are under contract Apple will have to fulfill their orders (same thing happened with the PA Semi acquisition) which will give them time to shift to another supplier.
  • Reply 104 of 120
    I dearly wish Apple would buy Adobe and put an end to all that company's foolishness.
  • Reply 105 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Love it. Love everything about it.

Although, seriously, I think Apple should buy Nintendo. With Apple's hardware and ecosystem and Nintendo's software and francises, I think Apple could revolutionise the entertainment industry.

If nothing else, Nintendo should be working to immediately get all of their game library (past and present) onto iOS.
  • Reply 106 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Maybe Apple should buy some island nation currently owned by a king. They would then own everything. They could make their own laws. They could build factories there and "employ" residents and immigrants alike.

Secrecy would be less of a hassle - no information would escape the island.

They would have no excess government regulation, because they would be the government. Their profits would never be taxed, for the same reason.

No news of working conditions could ever leave the island.

The downside is that they would have to pay for their own defense - but 100 Billion buys a lot of ships and fighter planes and soldiers.

They could increase productivity in their factories, and likely increase their profits.

One small end of the island, probably a segregated peninsula, could be used for public stuff. Apple hotels. Apple amusement parks a la Disneyland. A super-modern airport. Some residents would be allowed to live there too, and selected news reporters would get glowing interviews describing Apple Island as a workers paradise. It would be like Singapore, but made of gleaming curved glass.

The industrial sites could be camouflaged against satellite snooping. The ports could be guarded with warships. Nothing would come in or go out unless Apple knew about it.

I'd recommend buying California. We can be had at a nice discount because we're bankrupt.
  • Reply 107 of 120
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Google has a market cap of $185 billion.

They should buy a majority stake in Google. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

I can see the future headlines now.

"Google shareholders (read Apple) elected a whole new board and replaced the company's CEO today. Within an hour of these replacements it was decided that Android does, in fact, steal from iOS and in compensation for this all Android vendors will have to pay a royalty to Apple. Also, in compensation for all prior loses all IP concerning mobile technology and communications will be handed over to Apple, including, but not limited to, all of Motorola's IP."

So much for needing massive lawsuits against Android makers. Apple would essentially own Android.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0

Shutdown adobe? Thats crazy talk. They have a lot of great products and essentially own the creative market. They just need the right leadership. Apple can provide that.

Yeah, the employees from Nothing Real will tell you how good their leadership on professional creative products is.

Quote:

Flash is discontinued. Premier Pro is discontinued, some features wrapped into Final Cut. After Effects is discontinued, some features wrapped into Motion. Fireworks is discontinued. Dreamweaver and Contribute are? what, rebuilt into something useful? Photoshop and Illustrator are redone from the ground up. Audition is discontinued, some features wrapped into Logic. Encore, DVD Studio Pro, and WaveBurner are merged if not just discontinued entirely. Bridge is thrown out. InDesign is discontinued, but its soul is transferred into iBooks Author, Pages, Keynote, and the rest of the Apple applications that can be used for layout.

And PDF becomes ADF.

Adobe wouldn't sell and let that happen. You can take away everything from a true creative and they will stay true to their passion. They make software based on what creative professionals tell them, not based on what average joe tells them is too difficult.

Average Joe: Making DVDs is too difficult

Apple: Here's iDVD's Magic DVD button

Adobe: Here's the Encore user manual

Average Joe: How do I fit 3 hours of video onto a single DVD?

Apple: Ah, we didn't think you'd need an adjustable bitrate option, Average Joe.

Adobe: Change the bitrate option, we knew you'd need it eventually.

Software from different developers doesn't just fit into other products either. You can't take millions of lines of code from CS 5 and trivially refactor it for consumers. Also, as soon as they dropped the Windows versions, the entire industry would run screaming back to Quark. After Effects users would jump to ... well someone else would probably have to build an alternative as Nuke, Toxic etc aren't quite the same.

PDF wouldn't change as it's an open standard.
  • Reply 109 of 120
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

People always say they are willing to pay more for products made here in USA but history proves that most won't which is why manufacturing went elsewhere to start with..

Ask a smoker. Becoming addicted to nicotine didn't happen on the first puff. For one reason or another someone convinced them that smoking was cool. Then...a little while later, addicted.

Walmart shirts look just like the one's we used to buy but these made in China ones are cheaper so I can own lots for the same price.. I will be styling with my new shirts...Vain.

Most of the crap Americans buy they don't even need, but they are addicted to shopping for fake bling and cheaper the better.

The Saudis hoodwinked us with oil back in the 70's now look at the price. We cut back much of our own production and bought it from them. Now we are addicted and have to pay whatever the cost.

Do you think it will be any different with consumer electronics. Americans couldn't produce an iPhone if their life depended on it. Once China owns us like the Saudis do with oil, we will pay whatever they charge and sacrifice food, education, healthcare, whatever as long as we can txt chat on our devices. We are addicted.

If you like being pwned, keep buying everything from China.

Pretty soon you won't have a choice. You already don't have a choice with most electronic stuff.
  • Reply 110 of 120
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Buy Adobe, and rewrite everyone of their crappy memory hog apps, then make it Mac Only
  • Reply 111 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

It was recently estimated that manufacturing the iPhone in the USA would cost $46 more than doing it in China. With gross margins of 45% on a $600 device (about $260 gross profit on each 16G phone), that would be affordable for Apple.

Rather than us paying $246 for a 16G iPhone, perhaps Apple could suffer a smaller profit, like only 30%, which would exceed every other electronics company? After all, if little ole Brazil can insist (successfully) that Apple manufacture iPhones and iPads there, why not the USA? Because we don't care if the 99% have good jobs, that's why.

Are you really telling Apple to lose money, and compromise their business and business practice in the name of American Patriotism? Are you really trying to force a Company to lose money and/or lose business to help others out as a good grace?

Wow. Talk about un-American!

Firstly, Apple is an International Company, secondly, if I remember correctly, 60% of their revenue came from out-of-U.S. Also, they've barely even set foot in China yet.

Americans would drop Apple and stop buying their products on the fly, if they deemed them not up to snuff, or "yesterdays news". Why should Apple do any different?
  • Reply 112 of 120
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;2031519]Let's just ignore how they GOT like that?

Flash is discontinued. Premier Pro is discontinued, some features wrapped into Final Cut. After Effects is discontinued, some features wrapped into Motion. Fireworks is discontinued. Dreamweaver and Contribute are? what, rebuilt into something useful? Photoshop and Illustrator are redone from the ground up. Audition is discontinued, some features wrapped into Logic. Encore, DVD Studio Pro, and WaveBurner are merged if not just discontinued entirely. Bridge is thrown out. InDesign is discontinued, but its soul is transferred into iBooks Author, Pages, Keynote, and the rest of the Apple applications that can be used for layout.

I still complain about Freehand being wiped out.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    A few suggestions:

1) Spend several million dollars creating fantastic ads promoting, and educating people about, Ron Paul.

2) Spend some serious money to make AppleTV a serious player (e.g., NFL Sunday Ticket, every channel/TV show, better rental pricing, longer rental windows, a new version of the ATV with 1080p support).

3) Keep doing what they're doing. Spend money on R&D, push the envelope on technology (e.g., higher-res screens, longer-lasting battery life).

4) Stock split.

5) Dividends.
  • Reply 114 of 120
    Hmm maybe buy Nasa, take it private and get the government out of doing stupids things with the Space program. Think of it, an Iphone or an Ipad has more computing power than the Saturn program's onboard computers...
  • Reply 115 of 120
    Quote:

Buy Dell. Shut it down. Give the money back to the shareholders.

Buy Samsung. Shut it down. Keep the money.

Samsung has a market cap of 141 billion. A takeover would require a decent premium, Apple can't buy them.
  • Reply 116 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Google has a market cap of $185 billion.

They should buy a majority stake in Google. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

I can see the future headlines now.

"Google shareholders (read Apple) elected a whole new board and replaced the company's CEO today. Within an hour of these replacements it was decided that Android does, in fact, steal from iOS and in compensation for this all Android vendors will have to pay a royalty to Apple. Also, in compensation for all prior loses all IP concerning mobile technology and communications will be handed over to Apple, including, but not limited to, all of Motorola's IP."

So much for needing massive lawsuits against Android makers. Apple would essentially own Android.

Takeovers are usually accompanied by a premium price, otherwise shareholders won't sell. At a 50% premium (which is fairly standard), a 50% +1 premium would be too expensive for Apple. Not to mention, there's other OS choices for Samsung and HTC.
  • Reply 117 of 120
    Apple should simply buy some of their suppliers (the smaller ones), spend more on R&D, and work on creating even better products. Apple printers? Apple vacuums? Apple TVs? How about an Apple fridge? How about personal assistant robots? So many possibilities with $100B. Maybe get their technology into cars? An Apple car? There's so many possibilities to put tech into consumer products, how about a control center for automating your entire house? Samsung, LG, Panasonic are already in alot of these markets, Apple could conceivably get in too. Financially, Apple is about as successful as any company could dream of. Now would be the time to make their (the Apple employees and executives) dreams come true. An Apple Xbox alternative?
  • Reply 118 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Apple printers?

For a paperless future? I don't think so.

Quote:

Apple vacuums?

Dyson will be upset.

Quote:

Apple TVs?

They already have a solution for that.

Quote:

How about an Apple fridge?

Because it makes as much sense as a toaster.

Quote:

How about personal assistant robots? So many possibilities with $100B.

You'd need more than that for that field, that's for sure.

Quote:

Maybe get their technology into cars? An Apple car?

"Fully electric, 1,000 mpg, never breaks down, only runs between Chicago and St. Louis." ?Standard 90s Apple car metaphor.

Quote:

?how about a control center for automating your entire house?

I think that in 15 years we'll be able to achieve that via an iPad in your hand and a Mac Mini in your basement.

Quote:

An Apple Xbox alternative?

The Pippin wants a word with you. Microsoft does multiplayer right. Nintendo does games right. Sony does? er?

Anyway, unless something happens to the Big Three and Apple goes insane, you won't see a game console from them?
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Takeovers are usually accompanied by a premium price, otherwise shareholders won't sell. At a 50% premium (which is fairly standard), a 50% +1 premium would be too expensive for Apple. Not to mention, there's other OS choices for Samsung and HTC.

Takeovers always require not only the payment of a significant premium over current market price, but also a willing board of directors.
  • Reply 120 of 120
    10 for 1stock split BIDU did last year drove my holdings with them fro $350 to $1400(split adjusted)

No reson AAPL a better company could not do the same if they split their stock running price up aot

Re-institute small dividend and be a serial dividend raiser small stock buyback DRIP programs

Stock swaps with quality complimentary aquisitions after split IDCC ARMH NUAN etc. after split

Stock could easily hit $1000 and be the first Trillion dollor companyin thenext year or two. Worked

GREAT fpr BIDU now at $1400 split adjusted. So splt split splt X 10!