Massive holiday quarter pushes iPhone sales past Android in US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Guys, what do you think will happen when iPhone 4 becomes free on contract on all carriers?

I'll be more interested to see how Apple deals with China and Latin America where almost no one has a subsidized phone. Everyone does pay as you go. Every tiny shop sells refill minutes regardless of whether their main business is selling vegetables or straw hats.

I think Apple needs a really inexpensive phone for people who have no credit, no job, no car, no last name etc. I was in the San Blas recently and every adult indigenous indian there has a cell phone now days.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

That will be this year, when iPhone 6 drops. Yes, it will be crazy indeed.

Why do you think it will iPhone 6 instead of iPhone 5?
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Oh crap... here we go again...
  • Reply 24 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That surprises me. I would expect iOS to still be higher than Android OS, but not iPhone against all Android-based handset sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This confirms visual evidence. I go weeks and only see iPhones in the adult world. Most of the Androids must be in kids bedrooms. I see a few high end Droids etc. now and then but the owners are willing to say that they are horrible and they are just waiting for their contracts to expire and they are definitely going iPhone. I even saw A Blackberry a few weeks back!

Remember that iPhones have longevity unseen in Android-based handset as noted by iPhone's resale value and aftermarket appeal. This certainly adds to the installed base which is directly reflected by what we see in the wild.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh crap... here we go again...

not wanting to debate or beat a dead horse but just wanted his logic......thats all.

Iphone 3g then iPhone 3Gs (not 4) then iPhone 4 then iPhone 4s...next logical would be iPhone 5
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:

Go read my thousands of explanations for why it won't be 5. It might not be 6, but it won't be 5.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go read my thousands of explanations for why it won't be 5. It might not be 6, but it won't be 5.

Well i am not convinced one way or another but....your predictions are in my sig....so don't take it personally if i don't put too much weight to them......
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Being Slapppy Malkovich:

Quote:

It's a losing battle for Apple. The best thing that Apple needs to do is sign licensing agreements with Google. Apple i products should begin transitioning to Android. The overwhelming momentum of Android will solidify its top place in the market. Apple needs to adopt and get on board or get lost the Android tidal wave. There really is no denying the future of iOS.

Wait who's losing???

Quote:

That surge is just a small point and shoot picture of one quarter. It's an insignificant uptick. If you look at the calendar year Android outpaced iOS easily and will continue to do so. Twice as much. Computerworld has an excellent article that clears up this marketing spin for iOS. There is no denying that iOS is spiraling down to irrelevancy as Android continues to grow.

Oh snap, maybe not so much...

Quote:

The cheerleading here doesn't change the fact that this is temporary. A new product will always produce a spike. But if you look closely iOS Smartphone share is losing ground fast. The days of iPhone leading the market as long gone.

A spike - like Mount Everest is a spike, yep.

Quote:

Of course there will be a slight uptick with a new model from Apple. A new iPhone released within that time frame will generate a perceived momentum with market share. Please remember that this uptick is in direct relation to a new product release. Mark my words. As 1st and 2nd quarter approaches, iOS share will quickly return to its proper levels, and will continue to drop year to year.

Huge drop there...

Quote:

It's always denial when it comes to Apple-iOS losing quite a large amount of share in such a short time. I have stated many times that this is inevitable with the success of Android. Yet I'm usually called name and insulted by many users here. Samsung has just proven my point. They will continue to exceed. Along with Amazon and their Kindle devices.

Oh wait, massive share gain...

Quote:

That's a frightening number for Apple management. It's a clear sign that Android has overwhelmed iOS in the market place. This only reinforces my statements that iOS will be marginalized as a small niche player. High profits will not be enought to sustain the product onece Android takes 98% share. I would be shocked if that doesn't happen in 2012. I do feel bad for Apple. They pushed the technology forward as with the Mac, only to lose again just like the Mac.

Yeah - Tim Cook looked terrified didn't he...

***WHEW***

I hate when Slapppy (not to mention ApplevsSamsung) drops the ball like that. Hope that was enough to balance the viewpoints here....

• Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:

Well i am not convinced one way or another but....your predictions are in my sig....so don't take it personally if i don't put too much weight to them......

Yeah, I've been wondering why you think it's okay to insult me by doing that. Particularly when your reason for doing so is completely nonsensical and has no weight to it itself.

"It hasn't happened yet. He's obviously wrong." is your current reasoning. I'm not sure I like that.

At any rate, it makes zero sense to call the next iPhone "5".
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:

Yeah, I've been wondering why you think it's okay to insult me by doing that. Particularly when your reason for doing so is completely nonsensical and has no weight to it itself.

"It hasn't happened yet. He's obviously wrong." is your current reasoning. I'm not sure I like that.

At any rate, it makes zero sense to call the next iPhone "5".

lol...you know why they are there...given enough time in long threads you always seem to contradict yourself. You make bold brash statements like the ones in my sig....Google is going crash and burn then later in another thread you said Google was the future it is just amusing to me! Like the one you have in your sig...you are so adamant and so sure it will NOT be iPhone 5! The truth is you don't know..........and time will tell........

Oh and posting your statements in my sig is insulting? How? Are you ashamed of what you said?
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:

not wanting to debate or beat a dead horse but just wanted his logic......thats all.

Iphone 3g then iPhone 3Gs (not 4) then iPhone 4 then iPhone 4s...next logical would be iPhone 5

I've got no dog in this race... but I'm sure most of us know that there are plenty of people who are more than willing to beat this poor horse some more [one person for sure... and that may be one reason why you bring it up again].

I still think it could be called 5 as much as I think it could be called 6 but I'm betting most heavily on a non numbered designation.

I can hardly wait until the next phone is announced... but then again... we all know it won't stop there...
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:

You make bold brash statements like the ones in my sig....Google is going crash and burn then later in another thread you said Google was the future

Oh, THAT'S your problem? Wow.

Please explain to me how you think those two statements are mutually exclusive. They're not.

Quote:

Oh and posting your statements in my sig is insulting? How?

You're mocking what I've said based on a fallacy of your own. You don't find that unappealing?

If you like statements that contradict, head on over to this thread and read the stuff by the people that support "iPhone 5" as a name.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've got no dog in this race... but I'm sure most of us know that there are plenty of people who are more than willing to beat this poor horse some more [one person for sure... and that may be one reason why you bring it up again].

I still think it could be called 5 as much as I think it could be called 6 but I'm betting most heavily on a non numbered designation.

I can hardly wait until the next phone is announced... but then again... we all know it won't stop there...

I agree with you.....I don't know what it will be called......will will all have to wait and see!
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:

Oh, THAT'S your problem? Wow.

Please explain to me how you think those two statements are mutually exclusive. They're not.

You're mocking what I've said based on a fallacy of your own. You don't find that unappealing?

If you like statements that contradict, head on over to this thread and read the stuff by the people that support "iPhone 5" as a name.

I think your statements speak for themselves...

"You're mocking what I've said based on a fallacy of your own. You don't find that unappealing?" How is posting statemntts you make on a public forum mocking? You posted them!

You base your statements depending on what thread your in....one thread...Google was going to crash and burn soon.....the next thread....Google was the future along with Apple.....so which is it...crash and burn or the future! Your statements seem to go with the wind.....

"If you like statements that contradict, head on over to this thread and read the stuff by the people that support "iPhone 5" as a name. "

No thanks i will just read your posts for that..........
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:

How is posting statemntts you make on a public forum mocking? You posted them!

You're smart enough to see what's wrong with that sentence. Don't patronize me.

Quote:

You base your statements depending on what thread your in....one thread...Google was going to crash and burn soon.....the next thread....Google was the future along with Apple.....so which is it...crash and burn or the future!

Again I'll ask: explain to me how they are mutually exclusive.

Quote:

No thanks i will just read your posts for that

Again, you know exactly what you're saying here.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

No kiddin'.

And the iPhone 4S was such a disappointment because it didn't include all of the above.

Fandroid spin: if it was the iphone 5 with a 4" screen, LTE, it would have sold more than 40 million. Apple misses opportunity!
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:

You're smart enough to see what's wrong with that sentence. Don't patronize me.

Again I'll ask: explain to me how they are mutually exclusive.

Again, you know exactly what you're saying here.

you are just making yourself look bad....

On one thread that was leaning towards being anti Google and how Oracle was suing them...you posted

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

The in a separte thread that was very pro Google and how much Android was gaining marketshare you posted

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

So you first posted how Google was heading into ruin beacuse of the Oracle suit.

Then in a pro Google thread you posted how Google was the futre along with Apple and a third compnay that wasn't even created yet! So for Google to be the future along with a company that wasn't even created...........how was it going to crash and burn? Before a third company was even created for it to be part of the future? Was this third company supposed to take some time for it to be part of the future trifecta or would it just be that way on incorporation? You don't make sense....and the order you posted them is how they appear in my sig.....
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

So for Google to be the future along with a company that wasn't even created...........how was it going to crash and burn? Before a third company was even created for it to be part of the future?

I refuse to believe you can't parse out the logic here, but I'll humor you.

The answer to that question is no. You are now left to resolve the only other chronological option on your own.

I'll also tell you to make note of the fact that that thread (as well as the context of my quote) was about Android. You're making the implication (or implying that I believe) that Google is comprised of ONLY Android in your connection to the second quote of mine.

Seriously, it's not difficult at all to actually read this stuff in context and come to the right conclusion.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

I don't care what it's called, it's replacing my iPhone 4 at the end of my contract,
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:

I refuse to believe you can't parse out the logic here, but I'll humor you.

The answer to that question is no. You are now left to resolve the only other chronological option on your own.

I'll also tell you to make note of the fact that that thread (as well as the context of my quote) was about Android. You're making the implication (or implying that I believe) that Google is comprised of ONLY Android in your connection to the second quote of mine.

Seriously, it's not difficult at all to actually read this stuff in context and come to the right conclusion.

so stand by your statements then! In context or out of context the statements contradict eachother! Why does it bother you to be remined of what you wrote?