More than 80% of smartphones activated at AT&T were Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple's first carrier partner remains its strongest, as AT&T revealed on Thursday that it activated a record 7.6 million iPhones over the holiday 2011 quarter.

The 7.6 million iPhones activated on AT&T represented 20.5 percent of the total 37 million iPhones Apple sold in its own record quarter, the results of which were announced on Tuesday. AT&T followed up Thursday with its quarterly earnings, in which consolidated revenues were up $1.1 billion to $32.5 billion.

The iPhone was dominant at AT&T, accounting for 80.8 percent of the 9.4 million smartphones sold through the carrier.In the previous quarter, the iPhone represented 56 percent of AT&T's smartphone activations with 2.7 million units.

The wireless carrier revealed that a majority of the 7.6 million iPhones it activated in the quarter were the iPhone 4S. That aligns with what Apple executives said on Tuesday, when they revealed the latest model of their smartphone was by far the best selling.

The 7.6 million iPhones activated on AT&T also easily bested the 4.2 million iPhones Verizon activated during the same three-month span. The iPhone accounted for 55 percent of smartphone sales at Verizon.

AT&T also said it was a strong quarter for its Android-based handsets, as Android smartphones also set a new record over the holidays. Specific sales figures for Android and other platforms weren't provided, but would remain among the remaining 1.8 million non-iPhone smartphones sold in the three-month period. Total smartphone sales were the best ever seen at AT&T, blowing past its previous quarterly record by 50 percent.

The nation's second-largest wireless carrier added a total of 2.5 million wireless subscribers in the quarter. That means most of the 7.6 million iPhones activated over the holidays were to existing AT&T subscribers.

AT&T saw 10 percent growth in wireless revenues, and 19.4 percent growth in wireless data revenues. It said that 82 percent of its postpaid sales were smartphones.

Computing devices, including the iPad and other tablets, reached 571,000. That was the company's best-ever quarter, and the carrier now has 5.1 million subscribers with those 3G-connected devices, up almost 70 percent from a year ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62

Where the heck are all these Android devices being sold?!

Oh, sorry, rather,

Where the heck are all these Android devices being "sold" (to stores, meaning shipped, not sold)?!
  • Reply 2 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Another 80% figure is how many more iPhones AT&T sold than did Verizon. AT&T and Verizon were on "equal" footing with the release of the iPhone 4S yet AT&T managed to sell 7.6 million iPhones compared to Verizon's 4.2 million iPhones. Granted, AT&T also has the iPhone 3GS to sell but there is no way that accounts for such a wide disparity. So what happened to everything jumping ship from AT&T as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone?

2) Why didn't AI report on AT&T's $6.7 billion loss for the quarter. I understand the $4 billion it had to pay T-Mobile USA but what about the $2.7 billion? Where did that come from?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    On another note... Nokia announced that its smartphone sales plunged 7% with losses of over $1 billion.

The stock rose 2% because Nokia rewarded investors with less than expected losses. On the other hand, Apple blows all expectations out of the water... and is rewarded with a 6% gain the next day.

... and today... AAPL will probably lose 4% because investors were expecting 90% of smartphones sales at AT&T to be iPhones.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Another 80% figure is how many more iPhones AT&T sold than did Verizon. AT&T and Verizon were on "equal" footing with the release of the iPhone 4S yet AT&T managed to sell 7.6 million iPhones compared to Verizon's 4.2 million iPhones. Granted, AT&T also has the iPhone 3GS to sell but there is no way that accounts for such a wide disparity. So what happened to everything jumping ship from AT&T as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone?

2) Why didn't AI report on AT&T's $6.7 billion loss for the quarter. I understand the $4 billion it had to pay T-Mobile USA but what about the $2.7 billion? Where did that come from?

I am not intimately familiar with AT&T's P&L, but keep in mind that phone companies pay for the phones they sell up front and then recover the money over the life of the contract.

If AT&T bought 7.5 M iPhones from Apple at $650, and then sold them for $200 each (plus contract), that would mean a $4.9 B expense but $1.5 B in revenue - for a $3.4 B deficit. I don't, however, know if their accounting would count that as a loss or if they would actually consider it a pre-paid, accrued expense.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

On the first point I know a few people that read up on the differences wanted the voice and data at the same time not there at the start with Verizon. This may have been one reason but it probably doesn't explain it all since few people understand enough about that not to have been fooled by Verizon's marketing.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And just yesterday Steve Ballmer (Microsoft), Ralph de la Vega (AT&T), and Stephen Elop (Nokia) were all smiles and high fives over the Lumia 800. Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Just wondering if Slappy is still crying after all the Slapping he is getting
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Yet AT&T promotes the Android platform in their TV ads.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yet AT&T promotes the Android platform in their TV ads.

Apple controls iPhone advertising, so AT&T can't do anything without their say-so.

And it certainly doesn't seem they have to do anything anyway, what with 80% marketshare and not a peep out of the carrier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatbosan View Post

No, it's "I was surprised by the numbers", "there must be some mistake", "Apple is obviously faking these numbers and an inquiry will expose them and cause them to pay trillions in damages" or something along those lines.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    If Apple's wondering what to do with their $100 billion gold nugget, they could always buy AT&T - and have plenty left over.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Apple thinks of mobile operators little more than dumb pipes. They would never buy a telephone company.

It would be like Sony buying PG&E.

Apple's corporate acquisitions are highly strategic and aimed to improve a large number of their customers, like acquiring Siri to build the next generation voice command system (which can be used in multiple languages and several countries in its current beta stage) or Anobit to improve flash memory performance.

Apple buys innovative companies that are doing something fairly unique. AT&T doesn't fit that description at all.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

First, no one ever said everybody would leave. Second if you're have a grandfathered unlimited data plan why would one leave? They effectively have you signed for life.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

First, no one ever said everybody would leave.

Sure they did.

Quote:

Second if you're have a grandfathered unlimited data plan why would one leave?

Because AT&T has begun arbitrarily and without any explanation therefore throttling the aforementioned "unlimited" plans to slower than hard-line dial up if you fall within their criteria of "we want to throttle you".

Quote:

They effectively have you signed for life.

Or you could? go to Sprint where they have "unlimited" data that doesn't get throttled or Verizon where the service both physical and customer are infinitely better.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I don't follow AT&T so this is just a guess, but I would imagine that AT&T are not "standing still" in terms of expanding and upgrading their infrastructure so maybe that's where the "missing" 2.7 billion is, no? Staying on top in a fluid marketplace usually requires a huge and continuing investment of $$$$. That would be my guess anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Verizon does not have the 3GS, not the whole difference but it does help AT&Ts numbers.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatbosan View Post

From http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=142120&page=2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I must admit that this quarterly report took everyone by surprise. I concede this quarter win for Apple. Of course the holidays may have given Apple a temporary push up the charts. Still mark my words. There are over 700,000 daily Android activations is no laughing matter. As I have stated before 2012, will be the year Android will surpass iOS by a huge margin. It's inevitable. Apple is not an immovable object, and will move down the single digit share. Android is the irresistible force that has just begun it's runaway growth and 98% market share.

• Reply 17 of 62
    this performance with a 4S phone that was widely panned by the critics. Wait until we get the 5, then Apple will be doomed for sure.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure they did.

Because AT&T has begun arbitrarily and without any explanation therefore throttling the aforementioned "unlimited" plans to slower than hard-line dial up if you fall within their criteria of "we want to throttle you".

Or you could? go to Sprint where they have "unlimited" data that doesn't get throttled or Verizon where the service both physical and customer are infinitely better.

Show me where it was said EVERYBODY would leave.

Throttling sucks but I can understand why they do it and technically its still unlimited data, there's no guarantee of what speed you'd get said data.

Sprints data speeds are a joke. A great many have expressed their regret of switching.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This applies to me as my entire account is suffering.

I have 4 grandfathered unlimited data plans across two 4S , a 4 , and a 3GS.

AT&T began throttling one that was using 8 GB per month. Then shortly after they hit one that was in the 5 - 6 range...

As of this month, they are throttling myself and all my other lines at the threshold of 2 GB!!!

So by their own act of throttling, they've changed what the "top 5%" covers, bringing it down from the double digits all the way to 2 GB this month.

It's the most ludicrous situation imaginable. I pay $30/mon for Unlimited Data, yet get capped at 2 GB. Whereas they have a 3 GB plan, for $30/mon. I can't even wrap my head around how ridiculous it is. They are trying to bully me out of my unlimited plan, as they want to eradicate them from their network. I would at least have a shred of respect for them if they had said, "you can upgrade to 4S, but you HAVE to choose a new data plan" I wouldn't have liked it but at least it would have been a respectable policy and one that doesn't try to drive their customers in a particular direction via punishment.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Show me where it was said EVERYBODY would leave.

Throttling sucks but I can understand why they do it and technically its still unlimited data, there's no guarantee of what speed you'd get said data.

Sprints data speeds are a joke. A great many have expressed their regret of switching.

Don't give me that no guanratee of speed crap. Would you pay $30 a month for a data plan that is broadband speed first half of the month and dial up the second?

No, you wouldn't. And before you "understand" why they're doing it, read my post ^, and know that no one imagined they would stoop as low as throttling at 2 GB of usage.